The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Ascension Of Vigil

Post by mankrip »

A higher poly version would also be nice, if it doesn't give you too much work :).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

FIXME: Vigil's head smash can become stuck in weird geometry locations concerning slopes
- Fixed, used test X origin code from swallow attacks to test for test Z on headsmash
FIXME: Add a 3 second limit before Vigil cancels out of the Off-The-Wall Diving Swallow, he can become perma-stuck
- Maybe a oldorigin test will work, or a before test check if his X (left/right) origin changes.
- Added code that tests oldorigin, test if this works
- Fixed by test X origin
FIXME: Final blow of the mid air kicks should send a player flying down with the proper animation in deathmatch
- Fixed
FIXME: Turn ignore air flag on vigils stabs as he can raise into the air otherwise in weird gameplay situations.
- Fixed
FIXME: Castle2's candle/torch graphics need reposition due to upgraded model by Chillo
- Fixed
FIXME: Track down Troglod's sounds and model, they disappeared?!
- Fixed
FIXME: Shorten the final bridge in tower, BY A LOT (Possibly remove outer ledge)
- Fixed
INVESTIGATE: Vigil cannot be hit by the Hell Knights lightning attack during his charge spin, I doubt it as
he isn't set to invunerable in the gamecode but we'll see.
- Tested, false bug report.
FIXME: Remove .wav references in music playing code, delete .wav music in PAK file
- 10 megs reduction :O
- .wav QuakeC removed
FIXME: Grass is displaying realtime lighting, this can cause framerates to drop dramatically when any realtime
lighting occurs.
- Fixed, grass is no longer makestatic();
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's a list of TODOs, there's FIXMEs and TODOs. Remember TODOs may or may not be implemented as they're reevaluated before implementation by myself. I mainly try to concentrate on FIXME's as they're usually introduced by TODOs and I hate gameplay breaking bugs.

TODO: More stabs per button mashing, otherwise default to 3
TODO: Reanimate the final third attack on standing attacks to a huge stab (ala DMC3)
TODO: Update CastleE's last part, round out rough edges before that area on the hill slope (ew).
TODO: Redesign the boss1 level so you're unable to get behind him. Also make it less ugly.
TODO: Reanimate the Lightning Storm frames, make them more interesting and less lame.
TODO: Interpolate camera X tracking so when Vigil climbs stairs it doesn't look so choppy
TODO: If monster walkmove fails, move them with velocity? May fall of ledges, make sure it doesn't happen
possibly check if close to player only or other methods.
TODO: Add DP Snow (Misc.qc) from DP Mod
TODO: Camera will raise up the closer Vigil is close, allowing to see where you're falling (dynamic mode only).
And in air too?
TODO: Have the player turn around to face a fireball by the fireballs X origin rather than its angles?
TODO: Remove relics from Vigil as they are put in place and the world is built
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Sounds good, i'll model and texture the needed models at around 600 polys with 1024X1024 skin that you can reduce later. I can give them to you in .obj ready for rigging and animation... or export them to .mdl. what do you think?
I'll need the original models (the ones you need to replace) and a general direction in the design style you're after (it'll be good if you have screenshots or artwork for reference)!

peace
so, what do we do?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Segata Sanshiro wrote:Sounds good, i'll model and texture the needed models at around 600 polys with 1024X1024 skin that you can reduce later. I can give them to you in .obj ready for rigging and animation... or export them to .mdl. what do you think?
I'll need the original models (the ones you need to replace) and a general direction in the design style you're after (it'll be good if you have screenshots or artwork for reference)!

peace
so, what do we do?
Hold on give me till tomorrow for more information, kinda swamped right now.

As a short guide you can also rip the models out of the PAK0.PAK file, I suggest looking at plyr.mdl.
Exporting to .mdl would be the best method and easiest on me, but if you're more comfortable with ojb; I can learn how to work with em.

I suggest downloading the beta here, http://renegadec.digitalfunk.org/TAoVBeta.rar
Just keep in mind TAoV uses normal Quake grittyness with VERY-lightly inspired anime look (Vigil a tad, sound effects etc).

Dog.mdl, knight.mdl, and hknight.mdl are the primary concerns as of now. You can view their model by using qME or any other Quake model viewer you can find that suits your style.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Tyne wrote: Hold on give me till tomorrow for more information, kinda swamped right now.
Dont worry, i just thought that you missed my post :)
Tyne wrote: Exporting to .mdl would be the best method and easiest on me, but if you're more comfortable with ojb
I can export them to .mdl, ready for animating... OBJ is just a commont format like .3DS, but more flexible.
Tyne wrote: Quake grittyness with VERY-lightly inspired anime look (Vigil a tad, sound effects etc).
i get it!
will it be out of place if we add some slight futuristic details? EGG for Dreamcast just popped into mind

Tyne wrote: Dog.mdl, knight.mdl, and hknight.mdl are the primary concerns as of now
I exported them, studied them and already have a general idea about the design of the dog and one of the knights... i'll post some sketches as soon as i can.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Futuristic doesn't really fit into it's whole medieval theme. I suggest making dog.mdl something from the past too, the rottweilers didn't really even make any sense in TAoV, I thought it'd be cool to make 'em into wolves; do as you wish though :)
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

medieval it is!
I'll post a couple of sketches I'm drawing right now.. nothing fancy, just a veeery basic drawing of how i imagine them (they'll be much more detailed once modelled and textured)... i show you, you tell me what you think and i start modelling ;)

stay tuned
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

OK, here we go. Once again, please don't consider the quality of the concepts, they're general ideas drawn very quickly.

This is the wolf (ex-dog), hes torso is strong with almost human arms, while the back legs are a little disproportionate.

Knight 1
extremely mutated physiology... basically bug muscles, small brain :) The armor is inspired by... well, you can judge by yourselves

Knight 2
same as before but this one is scarier... he has no face and targets on his nipples!

I hope you can understand the idea past the ugly drawing.
btw: the nipple targets are a joke
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Nice work, the dog is kinda iffy though; it feels like it belongs on another planet (Lack of tail) :P The knight is awesome though, I like demonic looking things, could be a little grittier but you can't really judge off of a concept drawing. Nice work though.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The wolf is cool, just add a tail to it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Manoel wrote:The wolf is cool, just add a tail to it.
Yeah, go with this :D
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

could be a little grittier
thats the idea
The wolf is cool, just add a tail to it
sure thing

Thanks for the comments guys, i'll post modelling progress as soon as i can
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

double post... sorry :oops:
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Awesome, expect your name in the credits ;)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's a screenshot of a replacement move for Vigil, after his stabbing attacks he does a giant finisher stab similar to DMC3; it's replaced his little sword spin finisher. I like it a lot more.
Ignore the temporary knight model.

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

FIXME: Angle graphic error with mauve's code for tilting on slopes
- fixed
FIXME: Circular shadows appearing on walls and above Vigil during his spin jump
- Fixed
FIXME: Found out why Fireballs aren't homing in and dying super fast in latest DPs :(
- Fixed
TODO: 3 More stabs per button mashing for a total of 6 stabs, otherwise default to 3
- Done
TODO: Reanimate the final third attack on standing attacks to a huge stab (ala DMC3)
- Done.
TODO: Reanimate the Lightning Storm frames, make them more interesting and less lame.
- Done

3 Todo's done which are a lot more time consuming! I need to update some maps now.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Tyne, I remember a screenshot you posted which had grass and rain effects. I wonder how you did it. Did you use sprites and if yes how did you stop them from rotating?
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi wrote:Tyne, I remember a screenshot you posted which had grass and rain effects. I wonder how you did it. Did you use sprites and if yes how did you stop them from rotating?
Grass I've explained on #qc with you. Rain is a bit different, 3 entities of rain.spr spawned in front of the players view at different distances. First layer stays still and animates, the others 2 back layers fall at different rates. If you look closely at the layers in Castle2.bsp you can see exactly what it's doing.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

How are things going tyne?