Some possibilities

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some possibilities

Post by mankrip »

Since my other plans for this year seems to be going to fail, I'm thinking about maybe adding lightgun support to nxMakaqu, plus a few changes from the version used in Fightoon. Maybe.

I'd like to do this before removing the Quake and DC tools from my hard drive.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Re: Some possibilities

Post by Tyne »

Can you possibly add over 255 frames per .mdl? According to Havoc it's really easy, it only sends new network messages when the animation of a model goes over 255, and takes about 10 minutes of work.
Also it's good to hear you're back :) Lightgun support sounds pretty interesting, how will it work exactly?
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yes, expanding it to 65536 frames should be easy.

I'm not sure how it would work, but I want to use it for turning and aiming, plus the d-pad for walking and strafing.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Do you think you can somehow speed up the 640x240 mode ?
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insane homebrew collector.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Manoel wrote:I'd like to do this before removing the Quake and DC tools from my hard drive.
You WILL upload all your shit somewhere though.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Juan wrote:
Manoel wrote:I'd like to do this before removing the Quake and DC tools from my hard drive.
I hope so, I'd host it even.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:
Juan wrote:
I backup everything in DVDs. I already have a couple backups of my Quakedev folder, and will backup it again before deleting from the HD.

Besides this, most of my Quake work has already been released. Unreleased works include a simple Darkplaces-based mod used in a presentation at college and patches for Codename Envenom & Bulldog Stadium. It's not much.

By the way, I couldn't find a lightgun driver in my KOS installation.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

@Manoel: Wow, that's very sad news... does this mean that you are going to quit your quake developments? I hope it doesn't because it would be a big loss for the whole dreamcast community, not only for the quakedev one.

nxMaqaku is an excellent software based port of quake whose features can be used in quake ports for all plattforms. I've started adding your features to the GP2x-based quake port and hope to get your on-screen-keyboard and model interpolation to work. Even finding out and adding your changes to existing ports requires hours of work, so I can imagine how much more time Manoel spent to get it working on Dreamcast. Being in your 20ies automatically means that there are more important things to do than sitting on your pc/dreamcast/gp2x working on things that have nothing to do with your real life. I myself am watching the scene at least once a day but I just don't have the time to contribute anything. I guess that Manoel's situation looks similar...
Adding lightgun support would be a feature which many lightgun owners would appreciate, since it would get the port to a new interaractive level(wii anyone?) and as we know there are not many commercial games supporting lightgun avaible.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Moi wrote:does this mean that you are going to quit your quake developments?
I've already done this some months ago.
Moi wrote:I hope it doesn't because it would be a big loss for the whole dreamcast community, not only for the quakedev one.
Actually not, there's no loss since I'm not working on any Quake projects. And I don't consider myself to be part of the Quakedev community outside of DCEmulation.
Moi wrote:nxMaqaku is an excellent software based port of quake whose features can be used in quake ports for all plattforms. I've started adding your features to the GP2x-based quake port and hope to get your on-screen-keyboard and model interpolation to work.
You could try porting Makaqu itself instead, it may be easier than figuring out all the features you want.
Moi wrote:Even finding out and adding your changes to existing ports requires hours of work, so I can imagine how much more time Manoel spent to get it working on Dreamcast.
Many, many months; may be even over a couple years, but I never counted the time. I learned C programming from working on this engine. But it still doesn't come close to compare to the amount of work other people have done on engines like Darkplaces.
Moi wrote:Being in your 20ies automatically means that there are more important things to do than sitting on your pc/dreamcast/gp2x working on things that have nothing to do with your real life. I myself am watching the scene at least once a day but I just don't have the time to contribute anything. I guess that Manoel's situation looks similar...
Yes. It's my last year in college, and I've got lots of stuff to do. Plus I wanna do something different and more useful with my programming time.
Moi wrote:Adding lightgun support would be a feature which many lightgun owners would appreciate, since it would get the port to a new interaractive level(wii anyone?) and as we know there are not many commercial games supporting lightgun avaible.
Yeah, I bought a lightgun and the lack of good games for it (specially games that also use its d-pad during gameplay) is the reason why I'd like to add support for it.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

no getting it into dos? :(

(p.s. quake info pool engine compiles for dos)
DOODOO
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

linlinlol wrote:no getting it into dos? :(

(p.s. quake info pool engine compiles for dos)
No, sorry.

By the way, IIRC QIP requires Watcom to compile.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I have finally fixed the axes support for PC controllers. I had rewritten most of the controller code for the PC version last September to add support for two controllers, but the axes support got broken in the process. Now it's fixed, and it works similar to the DC controller support (the axes can be bound to any command). Now I'll clean the code up a bit, and I'll probably add a "Controller options" menu to the PC version.
Christuserloeser wrote:Do you think you can somehow speed up the 640x240 mode ?
Not without hardware acceleration. Today I did a small change in the stippled water code which may speed it up a bit, but I've got to test it on the DC to be sure it won't break anything.

By the way, IIRC the particles are oval in 640x240. I must remember to fix this.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Christuserloeser

I remember that you've been working on a stereo view: viewtopic.php?p=886064#p886064 - Do you think you can add some kind of a split screen vs mode based on that ?

Btw, I think that light gun support is a great idea. If you got it to work I will definitely buy me one :)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Christuserloeser wrote:I remember that you've been working on a stereo view: viewtopic.php?p=886064#p886064 - Do you think you can add some kind of a split screen vs mode based on that ?
No. Tons of changes would have to be done in the whole engine due to how its client-server architecture is implemented; the Quake engine was never intended to be run as more than one client. Removing its client-server functionality (BA suggested this a long time ago) wouldn't change that.

For example, there are tons of client-related cvars and console commands, and all of them would have to be duplicated in some way. Creating duplicates with different names wouldn't be enough; it would create complications in the whole engine and wouldn't work with any of the mods that sends console commands to the clients.

The support for two controllers I've implemented doesn't make any difference either; the second controller is just an additional input device for the engine's single client. It will only control a different player in mods made specifically for it (of which there are none) because it would have to be bound to a different set of commands or impulses that the QC code interprets as belonging to the second player.

By the way, that stereo view feature is so buggy I kept it hidden in the Developer menu. And it's extremely slow in the DC.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

implement modplug library for tracker module support for music

I know Darkplaces did it,well in the nexuiz branch at least
DOODOO
Christuserloeser

Manoel wrote:
Tyne wrote:
Juan wrote:
[...] Besides this, most of my Quake work has already been released. Unreleased works include a simple Darkplaces-based mod used in a presentation at college and patches for Codename Envenom & Bulldog Stadium. It's not much.
I was hoping for a beta/demo/source release of your Fightoon project.... :wink:

Manoel wrote:By the way, I couldn't find a lightgun driver in my KOS installation.
Ask Warmtoe. He wrote the driver: viewtopic.php?p=151513#p151513 & viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19215 & viewtopic.php?p=264891#p264891

...also http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/lightguntest.shtml

...or Toastman. He released a game using the lightgun some time ago.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I don't like to release useless unfinished bug-ridden code. I want to release several of the changes made in the Fightoon version of Makaqu, but I won't simply release that version of the engine because it sucks for normal Quake. Porting its useful features over to the Makaqu 1.2 code is much better for compatibility.

No QC or data release.

I don't have time to try implementing the lightgun anymore, but I still have some time to work on the other stuff. Let's see what happens.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Christuserloeser

Here's the source code for the light gun support in KOS (found it on WT's site):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian_edwards/warmtoe/LG.zip
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Thanks. I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Argh, I've got nothing done. I'll just upload the source as is, in a few minutes.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==