The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
KrAmSKiNs
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Ascension Of Vigil

Post by KrAmSKiNs »

I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question, but I really like this game and I was just wondering if it's possible to get past the first lever :P I'm playing on the PC and I really want more from this, thanks :D
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Read the readme, it talks about hitting insert, home, page up, delete, end, page down to change levels or typing "map <mapname>" (without quotes) in order to access even more levels.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

http://renegadec.digitalfunk.org/music/TAoV/

Soundtrack released, this directory will be updated as more stuff is added, also contains some unreleased and work in progress songs. As for a new TAoV version expect something soon as I've kicked up progress on it, I'm also going to release Map02 since RPG has mysteriously disappeared and I've been holding it back for several months (possibly more).

I've added some more stuff since last update:

- More attacks differing between standing and pressing a direction and attacking (More combo ground potential)
- Added new NPCs to the games world such as the village knights, they just need some generic guard dialog
- Updated some moves for balance tweaking and longer chains are now possible :D

Progress is nice, I'm focusing on finishing the new Castle.bsp which still has quite a bit to go and updating the village with some more towns folk so it isn't so barren. Vigil also got a ton of new animation putting him at 293 frames as opposed to the old versions 250.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Amazing work so far Tyne. Your a fine example of what can be accomplished. You did it by combining creativity, brains, and dedication.
Ravey
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ravey »

Uploaded a video in support of the new TAoV beta. :D

http://www.monkeybladers.com/videos/taov.wmv

Really nice work, so much fun to play.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Ravey wrote:Uploaded a video in support of the new TAoV beta. :D

http://www.monkeybladers.com/videos/taov.wmv

Really nice work, so much fun to play.
Wow thanks so much, that's an awesome video and even got me excited for my own game. Haha.
I've uploaded it to my youtube, I hope that's fine with you.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=RenegadeC

Thanks again =)

and of course thanks law56ker for your continued support also, you've given me quite some good feedback.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Well the pressure is on now (kidding ofcourse), seems the guys at ScrewAttack are about to find out about The Ascension of Vigil :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8fqDTA7vac
My friend made this and is submitting it.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Update.
I just gave Vigil more evasive maneuvers! He's able to backhand spring, roll forward as well as rolling up and down the screen (like Street of Rage 3). It's done by first holding block then using the arrow keys to move about, it has a limited invulnerability window so you're able to completely side step attacks and then immediately after assume a block stance. It's not easy to master though and you'll still get hit occasionally (the invulnerability window is removed near the end of the dodge).

Looks pretty cool to see him dodge everywhere and doing backwards handsprings, heh.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Multiplayer Demonstration, shows off a few new things. ;)
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Wow that looks amazing! It's snowing like crazy here in wisconsin! Did you think of adding any more type of weather effects?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm adding Darkplaces snow support, should look similar to Prydon's maybe even better! I'm taking it from the DPMod source since it's already done.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Tyne wrote:Multiplayer Demonstration, shows off a few new things. ;)
I'm impressed. :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New official release, coming soon.

UPDATE:

Alright here's the deal, a new version is coming with a lot introduced especially combat wise / bug fixes. I'm planning on first finishing the village.bsp and the required entities (towns folk NPCs, required dialog, detail stuff, etc) and replacing the hknight.mdl and *possibly* knight.mdl and dog.mdl as they're from stock Quake (meaning they're not legit for use, they *will* eventually be replaced however). If any work gets done in between from when these goals are met that's a bonus, however once the primary goals are met I'll release a new version.

I've also stripped out .wav music (expect a smaller download), I also play tested it on my XBox. Result? CRASH. Half way through level 1 it just gave up and sat a frozen screen while I was in midair comboing an enemy, also it couldn't run in 640x480 which was pretty disappointing.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm now going to start posting ChangeLog entries here, this will keep you guys interested in development changes and will prove I'm working instead of sitting silently by.

FIXME: Dodge attacks can enter weird angles, while in a dodge left go of block and use the arrow keys.
- Fixed, had to hack it into client.qc as I have no idea what was moving him normally.
- Fixed, above fixed messed up menu causing arrow keys to stop functioning. Whoops!
TODO: Make Relics look better
- Added, thanks Chillo
TODO: Blocking manuvers/dodges
- Added
FIXME: Slopes and dodging act funny, Vigil turns around oddly
- Fixed.
FIXME: Turn block off when invunerability is on
- Fixed.
FIXME: Vigil can do manuvers off walls with a wall jump on, looks retarded
- Fixed.
FIXME: Make the midair combo kicks mashable.
- Fixed.
FIXME: Solve camera issues, apparently moving the level to 0 horiztonal makes the camera act better
- Fixed. Thanks FrikaC.
FIXME: A player can hold down jump while wall jumping and Vigil will automatically do the spin slash double
jump technique, it must require a double tap.
- Fixed. Never test button conditions with timers!
FIXME: Mash keys should also check if the user is pressing forward, also apply it to standing still combo attack
- Fixed.
FIXME: 3rd standing slice should hit inside Vigil also, recommending using the stabbing attacks collision
- Fixed.
FIXME: Vigil's spin slash (Double jump) radius is too large, hits people too far downwards
- Fixed, was 50 now 35.
FIXME: Deathmatch bug where players can move themselves around even in pain frames:
- Added self.pain_finished, check if it works...
FIXME: Don't allow block control during slowdown time, it's useless and only makes the sound effect which
is weird
FIXME: Shorten the spin kick, it hits too far and looks silly - FIXED, investigate if it looks better now.
FIXME: Final blow of the mid air kicks should send a player flying down with the proper animation in deathmatch - FIXED, test
FIXME: Aircombo count is set to 7 by roundhouse kick, change to 9 as it's being shared. Otherwise it hasn't caused
a problem as far as I can see.
UPDATE: Clops found if you try to follow up with a diving swallow attack in an unconnect spin kick,
Vigil will switch to the final airkick strike.
- FIXED
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Cool, keep on polishing. Don't rush it out until you are satisfied that it is all you want.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Posting logs of changes on a regular basis is indeed a good thing. (Just don't force yourself to post 'em if you don't feel like it.)
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Just so you guys know, the next and future releases will also contain all map data, and source code upon release so you guys can tinker with it. :)

EDIT: I've replaced knight.mdl, dog.mdl, and hknight.mdl. This makes TAoV quite a bit more legal. I've removed the old download temporarily; I'm also hunting for modellers. Right now TAoV looks kinda ugly since the replacement models aren't very good; that'll change.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Hey Tyne,
I'm also hunting for modellers. Right now TAoV looks kinda ugly since the replacement models aren't very good; that'll change.
I,ve done quite a bit of low-poly modelling for games in the last 8 years including some stuff for Dreamcast (did this for Holly3D... this for DCShooter)
anyway, i've never modelled for quake, but if you give me some pointers (polycout, texture size, animation frames, etc) i will be happy to help designing and modelling the models you need!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Hey Tyne,
I'm also hunting for modellers. Right now TAoV looks kinda ugly since the replacement models aren't very good; that'll change.
I,ve done quite a bit of low-poly modelling for games in the last 8 years including some stuff for Dreamcast (did this for Holly3D... this for DCShooter)
anyway, i've never modelled for quake, but if you give me some pointers (polycout, texture size, animation frames, etc) i will be happy to help designing and modelling the models you need!
Awesome, thanks!
What software do you use? Polycount is usually anything under 1250, texture/skin size can be anything horizontal and I'd guess about 800 pixels height size or under. Animation should be under 255 frames, you can leave the animation up to me if you wish.

Typical Quake monsters are from 300-600 polys usually with around 300x200/400x350 skin size.
Remember, since TAoV is now Darkplaces external skins can be used that are high definition with gloss mapping and all those fancy features, I wouldn't worry about making a high res skin; I know a guy who can bump up the quality of low res skins.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Sounds good, i'll model and texture the needed models at around 600 polys with 1024X1024 skin that you can reduce later. I can give them to you in .obj ready for rigging and animation... or export them to .mdl. what do you think?
I'll need the original models (the ones you need to replace) and a general direction in the design style you're after (it'll be good if you have screenshots or artwork for reference)!

peace