The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Ascension Of Vigil

Post by mankrip »

Will you reuse the old model somewhere? The only model I'd really like to see replaced is the Death Knight one, for obvious reasons...

By the way, the new model is pretty good, but it's design is quite different. It looks older, his legs' muscles aren't as big, his eyes are less expressive, his ears aren't defined enough, and his neck is much larger than it should be.

The skin, however, is much better, technically speaking. The only thing a bit strange are the shades of yellow in his clothes. The boots, the gloves, the belt, the skin and the hair are pretty good for Quake's standards.

By the way, if I were you I wouldn't care much about the polycount - nxMakaqu sucks for this game :|. Don't worry about getting it to run on the DC. Being able to play the finished version on the PC will be enough to make me - and probably others - very happy.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I've had an idea to speed up gameplay even more (currently implementing it) concerning ground combat, allowing Vigils main attack (normal swinging) to streamline into each other as he moves forward! This'll allow him to keep swinging over and over right through enemies (they'd move back along with the constant rush of course), it'd look a lot cooler in action while giving his enemy launcher move a bit more of an excuse to exist.

Also I may make TAoV DarkPlaces only and remove all limits along with adding more animation, new attacks, and other plans I had but had to scrap to maintain older Quake engine compatibility.

Yep, TAoV is DP only now. It'll be worth it, I'm making Vigil have a more wild style as I wanted originally but was limited to do. :)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Awesome video.

By the way, the Fraps watermark doesn't appear when recording videos in Makaqu.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Very impressive video! It's sad to hear there will be no DC-version, but I can understand you. Ill still be able to play it, since Darkplaces is open. Just one thing, please don't add any Windows-specific code (if there is such things when using Darkplaces. I believe there is, since some mod's are incompatible with the Linux-version of DP). It would be really nice if the game stays multiplatform. And I guess it'll get more attention that way as well.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Here's a better video, old one removed!

Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Imerion wrote:...there will be no DC-version...
Man, i cant believe i waited all those years to hear that :cry:
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Sorry but the DC engines are just either too buggy or slow for TAoV to work properly on them.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Quite sad indeed.

That video really looks great, though. The palette looks a bit washed out, but the gameplay, the modeling, and the textures are all quite impressive!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Tyne wrote:
Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Sorry but the DC engines are just either too buggy or slow for TAoV to work properly on them.
I haven't given up hope yet. (You'll surely learn that if you owned a Sega console ^ ^)

Chui is porting DarkPlaces aka DreamPlaces from what we know, so maybe if the engine turns out as good as we expect, we could still play TAoV on DC :D
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Giving up DC compatibility wasn't something I wanted to do, believe me; however try running the latest version on DC (by the way, better save it because the next release won't work at all) it runs at 7-14 FPS and eventually crashes or if it does run it loads way too much to be taken seriously enough to be playable. A better engine custom DC made engine would be a lot more suitable.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I know that this is the last thing you want to hear, but can you cripple the graphics a little, i don't know, downsample the textures, lower the model polycounts... just a thought
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Perhaps after the PC version, I'm not promising anything though; it'd probably end up as a functionally crippled version at best.
Christuserloeser

Hm, let's see how Chui's port of Darkplaces/Dreamplaces turns out...
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

let's not.
DOODOO
Christuserloeser

linlinlol: I would like to ask you for proof of your accusations and claims towards Chui's projects as posted by you on these forums on many occasions. If you can't provide those I would propose to stop posting them here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Can we stay on topic guys? Anyways I've done some more mapping, I'm going to be finishing up the village map with more folks walking around and such. Still a lot of work to do, I need to fix the first boss since his collision kind of sucks.
Christuserloeser

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. :oops:

Always good to read about your progress :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Thanks.

Anyways, it's harder to update TAoV now since it's mostly mapping and polishing. Remember early on I'd release a new version really fast? I'm still working on it at around the same pace, the only difference is that towards the end you're not squashing bugs and making general easy to implement improvements; that's over and done with. Everything now requires a certain level of polish to fit in (new models especially), as well as mapping which isn't easy.

Just thought I'd inform you as to why versions are coming out so slow.
Christuserloeser

I can imagine. Polishing up little details never was something you could do in a couple of minutes.