Thrustmaster Wheel playing up...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thrustmaster Wheel playing up...

Post by finite »

Hey all. Man it's been a long time since I've been here. Sad to say, I'm only back to beg for someone's help. ;)

I recently bought a Thrustmaster Steering Wheel for my ol' DC. Worked great for the first day, but now I have an odd problem.. the d-pad seems to constantly move right. The analog part (the wheel itself) still works fine, and the little d-pads on the steering wheel still work. But even when I'm not pressing anything at all, it acts as if I'm pressing right on the d-pad. Which makes navigating a lot of game menus a huge pain in the arse. The best I can do is make the selection stay still by holding left to cancel it out, but I can't make it stop. Nothing I've tried seems to make any difference (changing digital/analog mode, starting the DC with the wheel held in a different position, etc).

Does anyone have any clues as to what's happening? Anyone aware of this problem? It's definitely the wheel at fault, no problems with my other controllers.

I suspect that my Nexus 4M memory card may have caused this, as I think it started acting up shortly after using that in the wheel. That'll learn me to use dodgy memory expansion cards with nice working controllers. ;)
- Interesting.
assesoffire
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Re: Thrustmaster Wheel playing up...

Post by assesoffire »

You could open it up and try cleaning in and around the dpad, there might be something stuck in there making it press right.
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

Looks like I might have to give that a shot. Unfortunately in order to get into the wheel section I need some hexagon screwdrivers. Hrmm, I wonder if any of my allen keys would fit...

Edit: Well, I've opened the wheel right up and found the most bizarre thing. It seems that there was a mistake when they printed the circuit that the buttons are all soldered to... two tracks that obviously shouldn't be joined (either side of the right d-pad button) were joined. I guess someone realised this in production and the track has been cut. I guess it wasn't cut well enough, the resistance between the two tracks is only about 100 Ohm. Attempting to remedy that now.
- Interesting.
assesoffire
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by assesoffire »

No idea what that meant :mrgreen:
But I hope you solve it :)
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

Well, it turns out the cut track wasn't the problem... one of the two d-pad right buttons had a short. So I just desoldered that and now it works perfectly (sans one of the d-pad right buttons). Don't know if I'll bother replacing it, works fine with just one dpad. ;)
- Interesting.