List of MIL-CD games

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

List of MIL-CD games

Post by Quzar »

I'm looking for an official-ish list of commercial, licensed, MIL-CD releases.

I know that there is at least one Dreamcast game: Kitahe e: Photo Memories has a soundtrack companion disc that is a MIL-CD, but that's about it.

Searching for that kind of thing is kind of impossible due to the amount of homebrew stuff that comes up on searches.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I can't think of anything licensed. The only things that come to mind are independent releases, the Gameshark disc, the VCD player, and those unlicensed knock-off games.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Grandia 2 came with a soundtrack cd.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Grandia 2 came with a soundtrack cd.
That wasn't a MIL-CD though... was it?
It's thinking...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ok, so I've found out that one was "Kitahe: Pure Songs and Pictures" Which is the soundtrack to Kitahe: White Illumination. Alternate spellings are Kita e, Kita he, and just Kita.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/北へ。

edit: using that one as a starting point, I found information on some more. http://www.g-res.com/News/Dreamcast/199 ... 90502.html A search for "MIL CD" on there will turn up a list of 4-5, but they are in japanese so it's not much help.

edit 2: and some more: "HANG THE DJ" MJCYX-80002
"HEARTBREAK DIARY /deeps" PICL-7501
and apparently the code for white illumination is ZMCZ-656

http://game.musicrelease.info/search/na ... sort=score

edit 3: AHA! SWAT's site had a few in a list:

No./TITLE/US TITLE/MAKER(YEAR/MONTH/DATE/GENRE/MSRP/TYPE/VGA)
SCLX-2004/Snappers/Nine Chairs/-/SENHA & Co.(1999/6/25/MIL/2415//YES)
ZMCZ-656/KITAHE(Go North) White Illumination PURE SONG and PICTURES/-/Media Factory(1999/6/25/MIL/3200//-)
PICL-7501/DPS HEARTBREAK DIARY/-/Pioneer LDC(1999/7/22/MIL/1200//YES)
PCCAX10001/CHECKICCO/-/Pony Canyon(1999/8/4/MIL/1200//YES)
FSCA10113/D2 Original Sound Track/-/First Smile(1999/12/17/MIL/3333//YES)
MJCYX-80002/HANG THE DJ/-/Marvelous Entertainment(1999/9/17/MIL/1500//YES)
WPCV10045/HIMITSU Original Sound Track/-/Warner Music(1999/10/14/MIL/2913//YES)

http://dc-swat.net.ru/dc_info/dc_game_list_jp.php

That makes a total of 7.

edit 4: Full name of the Checkicco disc is "Checkicco: CHECKICCO NO MIRU CD"
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

What exactly does MIL-CD stand for? I know what it does, just not exactly how it works.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It's just a custom type of CD+data disc. Similar to CD+G used for karaoke, except it has a single data track that CD players skip over, going to the music (or they can, in theory you can just play it as if an audio CD in any standard CD audio player). But when put in a DC, it will play the music, but also have extra info, lyrics, stories, internet content, etc. You can pop it into a PC as well, and maybe get wallpapers or other random things (such as are found on some DC games).
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Aren't you talking about audio-data CDs? If so, the reason why the CD players doesn't "see" the data track is because the data track is in a second session, which normal CD players can't reach because they only recognize the first session in the disc.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

|darc| wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:Grandia 2 came with a soundtrack cd.
That wasn't a MIL-CD though... was it?

It was a CD. Don't know ahead of that.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I think Japanese game magazines sometimes came with Mil-CDs as promotional material. I know of a Space Channel 5 Mil-CD promotional disc that came with Famitsu. I don't have a copy of it personally, though, so I don't know about the catalog number or any of that. I don't even know if maybe it's the same Space Channel 5 video that can be found on one of the ODCM demo discs.

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: List of MIL-CD games

Post by Quzar »

I finally got one. The Snappers' 99 Chairs. Havn't gotten a chance to test it out (my DC is on the fritz) but it has mil-CD and dreamcast logos on the spinecard and on the disc itself. fun stuff =)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Quzar wrote:I finally got one. The Snappers' 99 Chairs. Havn't gotten a chance to test it out (my DC is on the fritz) but it has mil-CD and dreamcast logos on the spinecard and on the disc itself. fun stuff =)
Can you post some pics? :)
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I scanned everything but it's all really huge. Here are some clips:
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Very cool, thanks.

By the way, it seems to be 09 chairs, not 99 ;).
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

So does this cd plays in the dreamcast cdplayer and show special info or does it boot a special program?
is it possible to creat those disc? i would like to try it and make some cd of my favorite bands with cover and info and so on
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

They boot as a special program, but they'll also play as regular music CDs in any CD player.

You create a MIL-CD disc every time you burn a CD-R of homebrew stuff for your Dreamcast, it's just that usually the CDDA portion of the discs we make only contain silence. You could put your favorite music or anything else on there if you wanted to, though. If you wanted to make your own Dreamcast executable portion to go along with your music, you could use KOS (I assume...actually I don't know for certian that KOS can access CDDA tracks on a CD, but it probably can).

There's another format called CD+G that I don't *think* the Dreamcast can play, but all of the older CD-based consoles can, which might be easier to create if you don't want to get into actual programming like you would to make a custom MIL-CD. Those just display static images, though you can scroll the image around.
Fragger wrote:By the way, it seems to be 09 chairs, not 99 .
Yeah, and judging from the drawings on the CD itself one of them is a stool anyway, so it should be 08 Chairs + 01 Stool.

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sweater Fish wrote:They boot as a special program, but they'll also play as regular music CDs in any CD player.

You create a MIL-CD disc every time you burn a CD-R of homebrew stuff for your Dreamcast, it's just that usually the CDDA portion of the discs we make only contain silence. You could put your favorite music or anything else on there if you wanted to, though. If you wanted to make your own Dreamcast executable portion to go along with your music, you could use KOS (I assume...actually I don't know for certian that KOS can access CDDA tracks on a CD, but it probably can).

There's another format called CD+G that I don't *think* the Dreamcast can play, but all of the older CD-based consoles can, which might be easier to create if you don't want to get into actual programming like you would to make a custom MIL-CD. Those just display static images, though you can scroll the image around.
Fragger wrote:By the way, it seems to be 09 chairs, not 99 .
Yeah, and judging from the drawings on the CD itself one of them is a stool anyway, so it should be 08 Chairs + 01 Stool.

...word is bondage...
Yea, I made a typo =P. Anyways CD+G is CD+Graphics, basically used for karaoke CDs. The DC can read them, but doesn't do the special stuff (doesn't automatically display the graphics in the CD player) as far as I know. In theory, one could also write a app to do it on the DC too.