PSP gets a price drop

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The PSP has a bunch of good games, many of them designed specifically for the PSP and not PS2 ports.

When you have a public perception of a console it's hard to shake from lazy / stupid / easily manipulated people however.
The same people who called Gamecube 'kiddy'.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Nyarlathotep wrote:The PSP has a bunch of good games, many of them designed specifically for the PSP and not PS2 ports.

When you have a public perception of a console it's hard to shake from lazy / stupid / easily manipulated people however.
The same people who called Gamecube 'kiddy'.
I agree with nyar.
Many people still think the PSP has no good games when it truth it has good games, and good games that's not just PS2 ports.

Plus it has even more good original games coming out.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

My PSP is a handheld emulator, and I love it for that fact. Take away the emulation factor, and I probably wouldn't use mine.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Grand Theft Auto: LCS
Grand Theft Auto: VCS
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Ridge Racer
Burnout
Lumines
Me & My Katamari
Loco Roco
Sid Meier's Pirates
Ratcher & Clank: Size Matters
Killzone
Wipeout
Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins
Syphon Filter
Gitaroo Man
THUG Remix
Valkyrie Profile
Every Extend Extra
divx/mp3/aac/picture viewer/fully featured web browser/wifi
Great emulation for nes/snes/genesis/gb/gbc/gba/ps1 and a load of other consoles
Extremely active homebrew scene

And theres stuff like Disgaea PSP, FF7 Crisis Core, and Crazy Taxi Fare Wars to look forward to.

Well worth it IMO.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

id get one just for ripping ps1 games to them to play.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I think its funny that people own a PSP just for the emulation purposes it possesses. Honestly the PSP maybe a powerhouse handheld but the games are so played out.

Take all the games listed by boney cork. Guess what your going to be doing in those games? The same old Run around and get into a "random encounter" fight em off and repeat, like that hasn't been done before OR look like a scruffy dude and run up to some guard snap his neck,steal his key or weapon and repeat. That is basically 95% of the PSP's library.

Now DS, I don't have to explain its success but the key to it in my honest opinion is they took the tried and true (also getting old) gameplay and did something new with it by adding a sense of realism and quirkyness to games and how they are played. Surprisingly this worked,it let gamers AND non-gamers enjoy whats on the table, my mom loves the DS she steals it and plays ALL the titles I own for it including metroid and mega man ZX, needless to say she is farther in both games then I am. So my point? I really don't have one,this is just my opinion on the how the market is.

I'd probably get a psp JUST FOR emulation purposes, the games on the system don't impress me. However everyone has their likes and dislikes. I play a game to entertain and if the title or system doesn't impress me then I won't play it, simple as that.
Have you played dreamcast today?
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Out of the games Boney listed I'd play 3 from beginning to end, one on occasion (Lumines) and flat out ignore the rest. Maverick Hunter X has drug me into getting a PSP eventually, right after they're $20 a pop due to the next model coming out.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

i pretty much just want the psp for the emulation, and maybe a few games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Dreamcast4life wrote:Take all the games listed by boney cork. Guess what your going to be doing in those games? The same old Run around and get into a "random encounter" fight em off and repeat, like that hasn't been done before OR look like a scruffy dude and run up to some guard snap his neck,steal his key or weapon and repeat. That is basically 95% of the PSP's library.
What the hell are you on about? Care to explain how either of those descriptions apply to: gta, tekken, burnout, lumines, katamari, loco roco, pirates, ratchet & clank, killzone, ghost n goblins, thug, gitaroo man, every extend extra, disgaea, crazy taxi? Which is the considerable amount of games I've listed? I don't think I've ever read a more blatantly inocrrect assumption on this forum. I'd say 95% of games on PSP don't match either of those descriptions.

Plus, of those that do match, they're from some of the best series in their genre. There are millions of people out there who won't call MGS and Final Fantasy old.

if you personally don't like the games on PSP, then fine, just say so. There is no need to start claiming that games like Loco Roco and Katamari involve tired random encounters and breaking necks. :roll:
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

BoneyCork wrote:if you personally don't like the games on PSP, then fine, just say so. There is no need to start claiming that games like Loco Roco and Katamari involve tired random encounters and breaking necks. :roll:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Nyarlathotep wrote: When you have a public perception of a console it's hard to shake from lazy / stupid / easily manipulated people however.
Dreamcast4life wrote:The same old Run around and get into a "random encounter" fight em off and repeat, like that hasn't been done before OR look like a scruffy dude and run up to some guard snap his neck,steal his key or weapon and repeat. That is basically 95% of the PSP's library.
BLAH BLAH BLAH NOW POST ISNT JUST QUOTES
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Dreamcast4Life wrote:the titles I own for it including metroid and mega man ZX
Platformers which include jumping and shooting bad guys. Like that hasn't been done before.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I don't have any qualms with the PSP library at all. In fact, it has some great games. But unfortunately for me, a good chuck of the games I would really like to play on the PSP are types of games that I would rather play on a television. There's just something about the PSP with intense 3D visuals that just doesn't feel comfortable on a small screen. Which is also probably why the DS feels more comfortable as a handheld.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Joestar wrote:
Dreamcast4Life wrote:the titles I own for it including metroid and mega man ZX
Platformers which include jumping and shooting bad guys. Like that hasn't been done before.
Theres not a thing that hasn't already been done before, in fact this argument has probably be beaten to death somewhere else.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Exactly my point.

The guy rambles on about how 95% of PSP games are unoriginal and therefore rubbish, then praises DS games by giving out quite possibly the 2 worst examples of original gaming ideas.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

ok how about this, what is original in the gaming industry at all anymore?
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I love this forum.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

R most stores gonna stop carrying the umd format for the psp? because I was at a kmart in p.a. and they had two frigging shelves full of umd formated movies for $10; even semi-current ones. :?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Smiley wrote:R most stores gonna stop carrying the umd format for the psp? because I was at a kmart in p.a. and they had two frigging shelves full of umd formated movies for $10; even semi-current ones. :?
You can just play DivX movies off the memory card though. Not that difficult to convert your DVDs.