Ninja Gaiden DS

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

RMD wrote:People just keep making odd choices. Castlevania Rondo of Blood on PSP which would of fit on the DS more and now Ninja Gaiden on DS which would of fit on psp better.
I think Konami doesnt want to saturate the DS with too many Castlevania titles. Theres already 2 for the DS and 4-5 for the GBA. As for Gaiden, its far more beneficial to TN from a financial standpoint to release it on the console with the highest user base. Not to mention the fact that the DS lacks action titles (3d ones anyway) whereas the PSP is flooded with them.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I hated Metroid Prime : Hunters for DS. Zelda for DS will by fully Stylus control and I don't like the sound of it and Ninja gaiden is going to do the same damn thing. I like some forms of stylus control (starfox command) however for a adventure game I am sticking with the NES classic versions.
Have you played dreamcast today?
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I'm always scared of new controls, expecially entirely touch screen based.

But they seems convinced it works. Let's just wait for a flood of reviews.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I hated Metroid Prime : Hunters for DS. Zelda for DS will by fully Stylus control and I don't like the sound of it and Ninja gaiden is going to do the same damn thing. I like some forms of stylus control (starfox command) however for a adventure game I am sticking with the NES classic versions.
I only managed to get about halfway through Hunters. The production values were great, but it felt too much like a generic FPS fetch-quest. (I love the Prime games on GameCube, though). My friend at 1Up calls it "Metroid Prime: Hand Cramp," and I tend to agree with her. It's not too bad on the DS Lite, but on the original model, your hand starts hurting after a few minutes.

As far as Ninja Gaiden is concerned--we'll have to wait and see, but stylus-only sounds fine as long as it makes sense with the gameplay. 1Up has an interview posted with Itagaki about the game...as always, he's incredibly full of himself, but he does make good games. Until I have more information, I have faith that the game will turn out well.

It's when you have a mix of constant button-use and fast-paced touchscreen use at the same time that things start getting a little iffy. That's why I never finished Viewtiful Joe: The game was incredibly well done, and pretty fun, but the constant need to switch between traditional controls, elaborate touchscreen maneuvers, and touchscreen maneuvers DURING traditional controls made the game almost physically impossible to play. In some parts, I literally had to use my mouth as a third hand.

And stylus control really has opened some interesting new paths in terms of game design, even within traditional genres. Look at Kirby; that game was great. Zelda looks interesting, too; it's funny that of the examples you cite, I like the ones you're not interested in, and it's actually StarFox that I didn't enjoy. I bought it when it came out, and I returned it three days later. The strategy element was neat, but the controls felt too haphazard, and I didn't like the complete lack of on-rails levels. Open-arena dogfights can get old pretty quickly, especially when you don't have precise control.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Here's some footage of the game in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UaUIcH8qSr0
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

:bump:

I added an extended gameplay video to the initial post.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Having just about reached Graphic Novel saturation point on the DS, this seems like an ideal change of pace. The Stylus control may be offputting for newbs to the system and fans of the series but, old timers skilled in the art of rubbing for pleasure should have no problem adjusting.

The Stylus is mightier than the sword lol

What price a Stylus controlled DOA ? :o
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Dreamcast4life wrote:I hated Metroid Prime : Hunters for DS. Zelda for DS will by fully Stylus control and I don't like the sound of it and Ninja gaiden is going to do the same damn thing. I like some forms of stylus control (starfox command) however for a adventure game I am sticking with the NES classic versions.
I only managed to get about halfway through Hunters. The production values were great, but it felt too much like a generic FPS fetch-quest. (I love the Prime games on GameCube, though). My friend at 1Up calls it "Metroid Prime: Hand Cramp," and I tend to agree with her. It's not too bad on the DS Lite, but on the original model, your hand starts hurting after a few minutes.

As far as Ninja Gaiden is concerned--we'll have to wait and see, but stylus-only sounds fine as long as it makes sense with the gameplay. 1Up has an interview posted with Itagaki about the game...as always, he's incredibly full of himself, but he does make good games. Until I have more information, I have faith that the game will turn out well.

It's when you have a mix of constant button-use and fast-paced touchscreen use at the same time that things start getting a little iffy. That's why I never finished Viewtiful Joe: The game was incredibly well done, and pretty fun, but the constant need to switch between traditional controls, elaborate touchscreen maneuvers, and touchscreen maneuvers DURING traditional controls made the game almost physically impossible to play. In some parts, I literally had to use my mouth as a third hand.

And stylus control really has opened some interesting new paths in terms of game design, even within traditional genres. Look at Kirby; that game was great. Zelda looks interesting, too; it's funny that of the examples you cite, I like the ones you're not interested in, and it's actually StarFox that I didn't enjoy. I bought it when it came out, and I returned it three days later. The strategy element was neat, but the controls felt too haphazard, and I didn't like the complete lack of on-rails levels. Open-arena dogfights can get old pretty quickly, especially when you don't have precise control.
Star Fox Command wasn't that great of a title but at least I could control it without feeling a cramped up hand. I am Half Way through hunters but I don't like the game because its a "cheaters haven" on-line and my hands kill me after played for 2 hours...infact I can only play the game for that period of time before my hands can't take no more.

MP and MP2 on the cube are pretty decent titles. I just don't like how they make you fight a boss and give you NO clues on how to defeat them, that kinda drove me away....The omega pirate is a cheap POS (Don't tell me how to beat him becuase when it comes to games......I want NO help). MP: H COULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD GAME IF THEY DIDN"T HAVE HACKS ON THE WIFI and the stupid control that kills your hands.

Zelda still urks me that you must use the stylus to control link, I mean thats stupid. You shouldn't be forced it should be a choice. Ah well though since I try to get all zeldas I will buy it and complete it but I am not saying I am going to like it though.
Have you played dreamcast today?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Ninja Gaiden DS

Post by DaMadFiddler »

UPDATE: CONTROL SCHEME
IGN wrote:The game's played holding the Nintendo DS in "book format," similar to how you'd orient the handheld while playing Brain Age or Meteos: Disney Magic. When the game's finished there will be an option for left-handed players, but in the demo edition it was exclusively made for right-handed play. On the left the non-touch screen display shows off a top-down visual reference for where your character is…also known as a "map." The room corridors don't show up on the map until you actually find it within the levels - something that happens early in the demo.

On the right side, the touch screen side, that's where the magic happens. All movement and all attacks happen. Tap and hold the stylus on the screen to make Ryu move to that location in the room. Double tap to make him jump...it doesn't matter where you double tap. Even though it feels natural to do it on the character, the tap-tap motion can be done anywhere on the screen, and in some rooms like a narrow well, continuing to double tap will get Ryu to wall jump all the way to the top. Shurikans can be thrown with a single, quick, staccato "tap" on the screen, and Ryu will throw that star where the screen was tapped - it makes for very precise aiming, absolutely. Attacking is simply a matter of swiping the stylus over enemies - Ryu will automatically begin his slash from wherever he's standing and whisk towards the enemy. Obviously one slash isn't enough, so you'll have to swipe again and again to take out the stronger enemies. Of course, now that you're too close for comfort to the enemy, you'll need some defense - pressing any button on the system, including any direction on the D-pad, will initiate a block. Simple as that.

The touch screen controls also offer up some new ways for special attacks. Performing a super powerful fire move's handled by tapping a special character in the corner of the screen and painting over it with the stylus. To perform ultimate moves, hold block and start scribbling the screen to generate the power -- release the block to unleash and watch the enemies go down with some impressive visuals.