Camera Purchasing Advice

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Camera Purchasing Advice

Post by AuroEdge »

I know nothing about cameras. I want to spend no more than $400. All I want is a camera that will fit in my pocket but can also take very high quality pictures. I've been looking at this but it's a little bigger than I want.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

well i don't think you can find an SLR camera that meets what you want but i would definitely recommend them. SLR cameras basically take pictures as fast as a film camera. nikon and cannon both make great cameras both film and digital. also i would not get anything below 5MP, anything lower than that and you can tell the difference between film and digital prints at your standard 4x6 size.

looking at your camera you seem to have a pretty good one picked out.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Covar wrote:well i don't think you can find an SLR camera that meets what you want but i would definitely recommend them. SLR cameras basically take pictures as fast as a film camera. nikon and cannon both make great cameras both film and digital. also i would not get anything below 5MP, anything lower than that and you can tell the difference between film and digital prints at your standard 4x6 size.

looking at your camera you seem to have a pretty good one picked out.
Anything above 7mp is just bullshit if the camera isn't HIGH end. All those slim camera's that are 7.1mp are ok, but with a 6mp you can take some amazing shots.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

stagg wrote:Anything above 7mp is just bullshit if the camera isn't HIGH end. All those slim camera's that are 7.1mp are ok, but with a 6mp you can take some amazing shots.
...actually, I agree with Stagg. :o

10MP cameras are useless if the image quality suffers in the process. Unless you plan on printing posters or something, 10MP is unnecessary. I would use that extra money to get a quality 6-7MP camera so that you know that you are getting a solid camera for the money instead of one that can crank out high resolution and that's it. For instance...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6830120067

That camera is a nice 7.1MP camera that has a farther optical zoom and image stabilization for $70 less than the one you linked too. A much better camera without the unneeded fluff of more MP.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

A quality lens is much better than having high Mega pixels. I would never buy anyrthing over 4MP but I would spend the extra money on getting a pentax, olympis or any quality lens company.

No point having a high MP camera if the lens screws the image.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

One thing I have read is that Megapixel does not equal quality, has something to do with the light sensor chip or something. Anyways, I was curious about brands more than anything else. I've read Canon is good and Sony is crap. What are some other good ones? Heard good things about Nikon and Olympus too.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

AuroEdge wrote:Anyways, I was curious about brands more than anything else. I've read Canon is good and Sony is crap. What are some other good ones? Heard good things about Nikon and Olympus too.
Sony's high end cameras are good. But their lower end cameras are not so great. There's nothing particularly wrong with them, but considering your other options, you might as well go with something else. Canon is good all around. They make awesome cameras. Nikon is hit and miss. And I really haven't heard anything about Olympus, so I cannot comment on them.

So basically, I'd say your choice in Canon was a good one.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

im bumping this topic because im in th same situation as Auroedge is.....

looking for a camera i have 300 dlls budget to spend appart from the past two examples of cameras above is there something else........

auroedge did iu pick any of that two??
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

http://dpreview.com/

great site for anything related to digital cameras. It's how I found my camera (a Fuji S5100)

If you go to the Features Search under Buyer's Guide, you can search for the things you want, including price.

Generally they have some good, really in-depth reviews too.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

Ive got a canon sd 600 , and its nice and small and does the job well. but id def recommend canon
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

thnxs you all for your sugestions

i ended getting a canon sd 630 and is a dream..................