3d realms a bunch of fibbers or not?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
whitesnake
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3d realms a bunch of fibbers or not?

Post by whitesnake »

i remember talk a while back about a port of duke nukem 3d to the dreamcast seems straight forward, but it was reported that the source code was lost, sounds like a sham operation they got running there if they lose the source codes for one of there greatest games.what hit me was how ae they porting duke nukem 3d to the gameboy advance if they dont have the sources.

Conspiracy or are 3D Realms holding something back. :roll:
spaceboy100
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by spaceboy100 »

I dont think the Game Boy Duke is the same as the PC version,
I think it's new levels and a new engine.
I dont really know tho.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I think its bull that they lost the source.

But, it'd be GREAT to play Duke on the DC!
My PSX Duke Nukem broke, because...well...lets say the game pushed me too far :?
PuniPuniSakura
Catgirl Maniac!

Post by PuniPuniSakura »

can't they just reverse-build the source code?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Reverse-engineering the compiled code is extremely difficult at best, impossible more often. Cloning the code is not.

They could rebuild the engine from scratch (if the original coder works there), or somebody else who has really good knowledge of how the engine works could do it. People have done something similar with the Quake series (I've seen someone building a Q3 clone engine out of Q2, for example), so there's no reason it couldn't be done. It'd have to be a re-write, not a port.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

But how could they loose the code if they sold it to other companies that made games like Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage, and modified the code to add more effects (like translucent water seen in Shadow Warrior for example or the 3D items seen in Blood). I think that they simply don't want to make the code public because Duke isn't already dead (GBA port demonstrates this) and they'll not obtain benefits freeing the code.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Doom is not dead... but the source is free.
Doom got ported to GBA... and seems to run well. Its official and being sold in stores.

Halflife and its offspring run on what is really a modified version of the Quake1 engine. And the Quake engine source is open.

If the Duke 3d source was open... it would bring new life to an otherwise dieing game. We'd see GLDuke and probibly DukeDC... eventually maybe even PS2 and X-Box Duke... The thing is to use any of these you would need a copy of Duke 3d for PC. And well... You'd have to find a place to buy it :)
3d realms would make a little extra money off of a very old game!

But this thing about 3d realms loosing the source has been said for YEARS. Its even on their website... (last I checked) They said it not too long after the Doom engine source was made public because many people looked to them hoping they would follow suit. Wether its true or not I have no idea...

Its odd that they would loose the source to such a commonly used (for its time) engine. Its also odd that they would lie to the public (and the fans) for so long about it if they didnt really loose it.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Well, who knows what the guys are like . .i mean, they have been telling the public that Duke Nukem: Forever was comming soon years ago..they are still on the "when it's done" .... thing is . . . i've never seen a game in development for that many years...moved through so many engines...

BUT, the game was re-writtin for the n64, and probobly will be for the GBA

AND, there IS a DukeGL . . . .but there are no controlls . .so it's useless . . .
--pSyCo
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

???? DukeGL ????? Where can I find it????? I NEED TO SEE IT!!!!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

DukeGL was probably a homebrew re-write of the BUILD engine for Duke3d. From the info I got from http://www.planetduke.com, it sounds like somebody re-wrote the engine from scratch, but using an OpenGL polygon renderer. I couldn't find any evidence that it's been released, nor that the author had plans to release the source. I could be wrong, of course...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

I lost the URL .... but look hard enough, and you will find it...

It's damn good looking, but the fact remains that there is no controll input. Meaning that Duke just stands at the begining of a level, and you can't do a damned thing to move him...

And they guy completely started from the ground up, but there was only one release, and there won't be another. Closed source to my knowledge...
--pSyCo