Graphics Tablets

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Graphics Tablets

Post by Specially Cork »

My sister needs a graphics tablet for her art project in school next year, and I was wondering if any of you arty types could give some advice about graphics tablets. I have no idea about that sort of thing, so what sort of features should we be looking for, whats ort of price range should we be looking at, and does anybody have any reccomendations?

Thanks
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

Personally, I have used quite a few tablets in my life, and all of them either sit in a closet or were returned to the store because Illustrator's pen tool is sooooo much easier to use than any tablet. At any rate, if she really wants a tablet, I recommend pretty much any of Wacom's Graphire tablets. You can get those for around $100, and they do a good job.

What will she be using it for exactly?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

yeah wacom's are expensive but nice, i got a small one for about ?40 from dixons a while back.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I keep hearing about illustrator's pen tool. What is it exactly? I have no idea what she will be using it for exactly. I'll ask asap.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

The pen tool is a vector drawing tool in most graphics programs. And unlike Mel, I would much rather create pen-tool graphics with a stylus than a mouse. So much easier; different strokes I guess.

A tablet is a necessity for raster graphics. You can score a 4x5 Wacom tablet (what I own) for about $100. Wacom tablets also include a copy of Photoshop Elements, which retails for $100 by itself. (And, incidentally, doesn't have the pen tool we've all been yapping about).
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

The Graphire4's are $70 at Best Buy and Circuit City this week. Not sure if that will help you outside the US, though.
Last edited by impetus on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

It really depends on what you're doing. If you are making vector graphics then I have no idea why you would need a tablet. If you are doing photoshop paintings or sculpting in Zbrush a mouse is fine but a tablet is SO much better and more fun. Less strain on the wrist too.

The Wacom graphire tablets are designed for the hobbiest and minor photo corrections.

The Wacom intuos series are designed for professional use and are noticeably more expensive.

But the important question is whats your budget? In that budget do you want a large graphire or a small intuos? I'd stay away from anything not Wacom.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

JuddWack wrote:It really depends on what you're doing. If you are making vector graphics then I have no idea why you would need a tablet. If you are doing photoshop paintings or sculpting in Zbrush a mouse is fine but a tablet is SO much better and more fun. Less strain on the wrist too.

The Wacom graphire tablets are designed for the hobbiest and minor photo corrections.

The Wacom intuos series are designed for professional use and are noticeably more expensive.

But the important question is whats your budget? In that budget do you want a large graphire or a small intuos? I'd stay away from anything not Wacom.

This is an old topic and months ago BoneyCork vanished and said he was never ever coming back ever without a reason. :cry:
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: Graphics Tablets

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hey I get a ridiculous discount on Wacom products, so if anybody is looking for a tablet, talk to me and I'll see what I can do.

Wacom's Intuos line is much more responsive and sensitve than the Graphire... I highly reccommend one. My friend has a 9x12 and it is absolutely amazing. I'm not an artist but I love using it.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I'd be interested in an upgrade if you don't mind shipping over here, what kinda price could you get say a 9X12 for?
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I'll check on that one specifically, it is somewhere around 40% or so. I work Friday so I'll get back to you then. The largest Intuos they sell... 12x19 or whatever it is retails for just over $730, I can get that for about $410. So I guess this one should be maybe a little over $200?

Like I said, I'll check on it =)
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

9x12 is about $250 + shipping to me + shipping to you. So probably right around $300 or so? £150 or so, it said retail here is about $450.

Let me know!
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

that's a pretty awesome deal man, if I can scrape together the cash soon, I'll PM you, Thanks man :D