Wiimakes of Cube titles

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Wiimakes of Cube titles

Post by Juan »

IGN wrote:"The machine is based on GC," said Miyamoto. "We'll be upgrading the development tools, but GameCube code can be used for the most part as is. In that sense, I believe that it would be good to remake GameCube games for Wii, and that some titles would become better with the change to the Wii remote controller."

Best of all, Miyamoto envisages any such remakes will retail at a much lower price to their 'Cube originals, and may even help bring third party support to the system. "Even now," continued Miyamoto, "[GameCube titles] are sold at used shops, so we don't feel we could sell them for full price. However, development costs have been taken care of, so we could probably sell them at a more accessible price. If we make it so that such GC to Wii remakes can be produced quickly, it's possible that many titles will also be released from third parties."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Nintendo could just allow the developers to patch the GC executables with Wii functionality and distribute these patched files online, like MS does with Xbox titles for the 360.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I just read in the September issue of egm (which I get free btw) that Nintendo is planning a wii sequel to Luigi's Mansion.

I didn't think that remaking old cube titles for the wii was necessary. I mean, aren't they gonna be compatible with the wii and won't they be able to use the wiimote on these older cube titles? That's what I was lead to believe...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Fragger wrote:Nintendo could just allow the developers to patch the GC executables with Wii functionality and distribute these patched files online, like MS does with Xbox titles for the 360.
The Xbox 360 game patches are individual emulators that allow for Xbox games to be played on the 360.
Smiley wrote:I didn't think that remaking old cube titles for the wii was necessary. I mean, aren't they gonna be compatible with the wii and won't they be able to use the wiimote on these older cube titles? That's what I was lead to believe...
Yes, the Wii is backwards compatible with the Gamecube out of the box. However, the Wii remote doesn't work when the Wii is set in Gamecube mode.

Because of that would take more than patches to get the Gamecube games to have Wii functionality.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

something dumb for awhile wrote:Yes, the Wii is backwards compatible with the Gamecube out of the box. However, the Wii remote doesn't work when the Wii is set in Gamecube mode.

Because of that would take more than patches to get the Gamecube games to have Wii functionality.
Yeah, but why not? I mean, the console isn't even launched yet. They are developing it, so there's nothing telling them they have to lock out the Wiimote in Gamecube mode.

...well, except for piles of cash from reselling old games.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Such as Super Mario Bros. remake on GBA selling for AU$29 ;)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

melancholy wrote:
something dumb for awhile wrote:Yes, the Wii is backwards compatible with the Gamecube out of the box. However, the Wii remote doesn't work when the Wii is set in Gamecube mode.

Yeah, but why not? I mean, the console isn't even launched yet. They are developing it, so there's nothing telling them they have to lock out the Wiimote in Gamecube mode.

systems are already in production.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Covar wrote:
melancholy wrote:

systems already in production.

Meh, they prolly had this all figured out a long time ago.

Wii is already getting lots of current gen ports, and now they talk about this ports when the console is supposed to play actual Cube titles?
With that many conversions, so much for the innovation factor - the system seems more and more like a biffed up Gamecube with a gimmicky controller. While I think it's good to have a good number of "conventional games", it seems to be the opposite of what everyone expects of the console. But whatever.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

melancholy wrote:

True. But, while I don't claim to be an expert in the area, I doubt that making any previously released game take advantage of the Wii's 360 degrees free range movement would be possible without some major code overhaul. The Nunchuck controller and buttons on the joystick could possibly be used for games out-of-the-box, but unless the code to control the freerange movement of the Wiimote is as simple as scanning for up-down-left-right,etc. movement similar to the Gamecube's analog stick - I highly doubt that it would be possible to have full functionality with just a patch.

Future Cube titles could potentially use Wii functionality if such technology was programmed in, but seeing as the Gamecube is almost dead at this point - that point is pretty much moot.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

but seeing as the Gamecube is almost dead at this point
Walked into Kmart today and they had a whopping 6 games on shelf. I was surprised to see so many! :|

ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:
but seeing as the Gamecube is almost dead at this point
Walked into Kmart today and they had a whopping 6 games on shelf. I was surprised to see so many! :|
:o i knew you in s.a. were out of it BUT NOT THAT FAR :o

my k mart has heaps :P but there is a lack of orange controls when the gc goes to $50 (aud) i'll get one :P to keep in its precios box :P
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

There is very little support for the Cube in the stores I've been. EB has a fair chunk of games as does DVD Crave (glad they're so close to me 8)), but any other store is pretty much stocking the bare minimum. I'm guessing they only do it because they have to?

mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

something dumb for awhile wrote:
Fragger wrote:Nintendo could just allow the developers to patch the GC executables with Wii functionality and distribute these patched files online, like MS does with Xbox titles for the 360.
The Xbox 360 game patches are individual emulators that allow for Xbox games to be played on the 360.
Yes, I know that, but my point is about the distribution method.

MS distributes their emulators online, and for free AFAIK. Nintendo could allow the developers to distribute the patched/updated binaries the same way: download it from the internet, store in the flash memory, put the GC disc in the drive and play.

As far as I know there are no technical limitations that could prevent this.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

since they said the wiimakes will be budget titltes, i wonder if they would sell them as double or triple game packs , sorta like older gba titles are bieng re-released on gba with multiple games.

say like mario sunshine and lugis mansion together. the wii does use dual layered dvd.

but i'd prefer them to possibly patch games. maybe offer both ( a free patch for the gc games, but since a lot of those are no longer in production, re-release them as multiple games on a disc for a budget price so new wii owners can get gc games on the cheap :) )
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Fragger wrote:As far as I know there are no technical limitations that could prevent this.
No, but like I said in the post above, the changes to the code would likely be more major than a small patch would allow, at least for the present titles. Future titles could be built with the Wii in mind, maybe even set up for simple patching by having the code to control the wiimote in the game code from the get-go.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Juan wrote: With that many conversions, so much for the innovation factor - the system seems more and more like a biffed up Gamecube with a gimmicky controller. While I think it's good to have a good number of "conventional games", it seems to be the opposite of what everyone expects of the console. But whatever.
That is pretty much all it is. The way Nintendo is downplaying the technology behind Wii makes it sound like they couldve just put a Gamecube in a new shell and nobody would notice any difference.

As for the innovation? Well I'm still yet to see it. Having a new controller doesn't change much. Most people are looking forward to games like Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 at launch, and games like Smash Bros (which wont use the wiimote), Sonic and Mario in the future. This is hardly a gaming revolution.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

What is the Wii's software format? The same small Gamecube discs, or DVD?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Mr. Jeeba wrote:What is the Wii's software format? The same small Gamecube discs, or DVD?
Slot-loading disc drive compatible with:

* DVD(4.7 GB Single layer or 8.5 GB Dual Layer)
* 8cm GameCube optical disc

Source

Looks like the new Final Fantasy's won't have as much space for FMV as they would for the PS2.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Sir Savant wrote:
Mr. Jeeba wrote:What is the Wii's software format? The same small Gamecube discs, or DVD?
Slot-loading disc drive compatible with:

* DVD(4.7 GB Single layer or 8.5 GB Dual Layer)
* 8cm GameCube optical disc

Source

Looks like the new Final Fantasy's won't have as much space for FMV as they would for the PS2.
....Why not? The PS2 used the exact same discs.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

ps2 only use single layered, so gc could easily do final fantasy