DCEmulation

dreamcast development • homebrew software • hardware hacking • indie games • emulators • and more!
Back to main site
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graphics Tablets
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:49 am 

My sister needs a graphics tablet for her art project in school next year, and I was wondering if any of you arty types could give some advice about graphics tablets. I have no idea about that sort of thing, so what sort of features should we be looking for, whats ort of price range should we be looking at, and does anybody have any reccomendations?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:59 pm 
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Personally, I have used quite a few tablets in my life, and all of them either sit in a closet or were returned to the store because Illustrator's pen tool is sooooo much easier to use than any tablet. At any rate, if she really wants a tablet, I recommend pretty much any of Wacom's Graphire tablets. You can get those for around $100, and they do a good job.

What will she be using it for exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:14 pm 
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

yeah wacom's are expensive but nice, i got a small one for about ?40 from dixons a while back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:57 pm 

I keep hearing about illustrator's pen tool. What is it exactly? I have no idea what she will be using it for exactly. I'll ask asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 pm 
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

The pen tool is a vector drawing tool in most graphics programs. And unlike Mel, I would much rather create pen-tool graphics with a stylus than a mouse. So much easier; different strokes I guess.

A tablet is a necessity for raster graphics. You can score a 4x5 Wacom tablet (what I own) for about $100. Wacom tablets also include a copy of Photoshop Elements, which retails for $100 by itself. (And, incidentally, doesn't have the pen tool we've all been yapping about).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:23 pm 
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

The Graphire4's are $70 at Best Buy and Circuit City this week. Not sure if that will help you outside the US, though.

Last edited by impetus on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:06 am 
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

It really depends on what you're doing. If you are making vector graphics then I have no idea why you would need a tablet. If you are doing photoshop paintings or sculpting in Zbrush a mouse is fine but a tablet is SO much better and more fun. Less strain on the wrist too.

The Wacom graphire tablets are designed for the hobbiest and minor photo corrections.

The Wacom intuos series are designed for professional use and are noticeably more expensive.

But the important question is whats your budget? In that budget do you want a large graphire or a small intuos? I'd stay away from anything not Wacom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:13 pm 
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

JuddWack wrote:
It really depends on what you're doing. If you are making vector graphics then I have no idea why you would need a tablet. If you are doing photoshop paintings or sculpting in Zbrush a mouse is fine but a tablet is SO much better and more fun. Less strain on the wrist too.

The Wacom graphire tablets are designed for the hobbiest and minor photo corrections.

The Wacom intuos series are designed for professional use and are noticeably more expensive.

But the important question is whats your budget? In that budget do you want a large graphire or a small intuos? I'd stay away from anything not Wacom.

This is an old topic and months ago BoneyCork vanished and said he was never ever coming back ever without a reason. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Graphics Tablets
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:48 am 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Hey I get a ridiculous discount on Wacom products, so if anybody is looking for a tablet, talk to me and I'll see what I can do.

Wacom's Intuos line is much more responsive and sensitve than the Graphire... I highly reccommend one. My friend has a 9x12 and it is absolutely amazing. I'm not an artist but I love using it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:09 am 
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I'd be interested in an upgrade if you don't mind shipping over here, what kinda price could you get say a 9X12 for?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 am 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

I'll check on that one specifically, it is somewhere around 40% or so. I work Friday so I'll get back to you then. The largest Intuos they sell... 12x19 or whatever it is retails for just over $730, I can get that for about $410. So I guess this one should be maybe a little over $200?

Like I said, I'll check on it =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:44 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

9x12 is about $250 + shipping to me + shipping to you. So probably right around $300 or so? £150 or so, it said retail here is about $450.

Let me know!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:17 pm 
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

that's a pretty awesome deal man, if I can scrape together the cash soon, I'll PM you, Thanks man :D