Makaqu 1.5.1

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

There's no problem with the sound in version 1.0. It only broke when I updated KOS during the development of the still-unreleased version 1.1, but it's fixed again.

But more mods will be playable anyway, because of a few improvements. The underwater warp effect is using less memory, and I've reduced the default sound quality to 11 KHz, which also reduces the memory usage. You can also disable the sound output completely and raise the amount of heap memory through the file nxmakaqu.ini.

There are many more changes, I'll try to document everything in the readme file.

I've finished everything in the engine, but it seems that the default vibration effects doesn't work in official jump packs, so I'm going to add a submenu for customizing those effects. Hopefully this will help to make them work.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Fragger wrote:And here's a pic of the new VMU file icon:
The colored border is automatically generated for all mods.
Very nice! ^^
Insane homebrew collector.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

May i hope TAoV runs in DC someday?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Only Tyne can answer this.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Version 1.1 released, check the first post.
============================
1.1 version changes:
============================

Dreamcast-related bugfixes:
- Corrected the name of mouse button 1.
- Fixed the "Pause" option in the Audio Options menu.
- nxMakaqu would crash when trying to save FrikFiles, because it tried to save them in the CD. Now the FrikFiles are saved in the RAM. There's no way to same them on the VMU yet though.
- The "screenshot" command is ignored now. This was done to prevent crashes, because it tried to save them in the CD.

Windows-related bugfixes:
- Fixed the crosshair being not displayed correctly in some video cards.
- Fixed the network menus (they were disabled by mistake).

Common bugfixes:
- Fixed a small problem with the interpolation (sorry, can't remember what it was).
- Now the translucent viewmodels are drawn over the translucent water instead of under it.
- Fixed the network protocol (demos recorded with some mods were not working).
- Fixed the "cmdline" cvar.
- Fixed some menu options that were not saved in the config file.

Dreamcast-related changes:
- Added an IP.BIN file.
- Modlist support for the /ID1 directory.
- Added support for the file /quake/gamedir/nxmakaqu.ini. This file can be used to set the title and description of the game in the modlist, as well as the sound samplerate, the video resolution, the size of the heap memory, and extra command line parameters.
- Added 320x480 and 640x240 resolutions (640x240 is faster).
- Resolutions up to 768x576 are selectable in the modlist.
- Changed the default audio samplerate to 11025 Hz, thus fixing some games that needs more RAM.
- The default setting for the stereo sound is set accordingly to the DC BIOS setting.
- Added support for volume control of the CD audio.
- The CD audio can be changed between stereo/mono, and the stereo can be reversed.
- The engine can detect the amount of CD tracks and display it on the Audio Options menu.
- Added support for mouse button 3 and mouse wheel. The mouse is fully supported now.
- Significant changes to the analog input support. Now the analog stick's axes can be bound to any command, and the "Axis/Trigger Function" options are gone.
- Added auto-repeat for the keys and face buttons while in the console or menu.
- Added vibration (Puru Puru/Jump Pack) support.
- Added a SVC_VIBRATE (61) message to the network protocol. Usage: SVC_VIBRATE, + 5 writebytes (special, effect1, effect2, duration, controller).
- VMU saves are compressed now, and saves from version 1.0 can still be loaded.
- Replaced the VMU file icon. The new one features colored borders for each game.
- Added a simple VMU LCD icon.
- FrikFiles are opened from the RAM if found in there, otherwise they are opened from the CD. Saving is always done in the RAM.

Windows-related changes:
- Removed the CD audio volume control from the audio menu.
- Now the engine knows the difference between CDs with no audio tracks and empty drives.
- The underwater screen buffer is always used, thus making the transparencies run faster on some computers.

Common changes:
- Improved the models of the super shotgun, nailgun, super nailgun, rocket launcher and thunderbolt. These new versions works better with interpolation and transparencies.
- Added a new progs.dat file with many bugfixes and some new features.
- The new progs.dat features a workaround for the solid skies in the original Quake levels. It can be disabled by typing "savedgamecfg 1" in the console.
- The status bar isn't displayed when changing levels anymore.
- The underwater warping effect runs at the same resolution of the video now.
- The camera tilting during weapon recoil is smoother. Now it uses 16-bit angles instead of 8.
- The Thunderbolt's lightning follows the player's rotation and movement smoothly now.
- Created QC support for self.frame_interval, to customize the time of the interpolation for each entity. Setting it to -1 disables interpolation, and setting it to zero uses the default value (0.1 seconds).
- Non-audio tracks are skipped when selecting an audio track in the Audio Options menu.
- Added a 3D stereo mode, using the r_stereo_separation cvar. It has a few bugs.
- Added options for fog and 3D stereo separation in the Developer menu. To disable the fog you must turn the developer mode off.
- Added the Timescale extension.
- Added a sv_compatibility cvar, to allow both network gaming and demo recording compatible with normal Quake.
- Added a sv_makaqu cvar to enable Makaqu-exclusive effects (EF_SHADOW, etc.).
My site isn't updated yet, I'll update it this weekend.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Niiiice. Good excuse to try Makaqu for the first time :oops: :wink:
CuecaX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by CuecaX »

thanx...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Wow...I just tried this out for the first time. Taking into the account that it's using a software renderer, it performs very well. The last time I tried a Dreamcast Quake engine was before RADquake, so this is quite a major step up from what I'm used to.

Haven't tried it out with any mods yet, but so far I am very impressed. It's just too bad a hardware renderer would be such a major undertaking to implement. Good job to everyone involved.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Updates:

1. Envenom *seems* to work. Haven't tested extensively, though.
2. Vigil loads, and the menus all function (neat, by the way!), but the instant it drops into actual gameplay, it hangs with the following error for about ten seconds before rebooting the Dreamcast:

nxMakaqu - Fatal Error
Mod_Extradata: caching failed
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Very nice! Will try it now!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I have found a few problems:
- I forgot to update the default deadzone values for the controller, and due to this all deadzone values are set to the maximum. You must go to the Controller Options menu and lower them.
- The "cd_enabled" cvar isn't registered if there's no audio tracks on the disc.
- I forgot to update BlackAura's e-mail address in the credits screen.

I will release a fixed version in some minutes.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Ok, version 1.2 is out.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Updates:

1. Envenom *seems* to work. Haven't tested extensively, though.
2. Vigil loads, and the menus all function (neat, by the way!), but the instant it drops into actual gameplay, it hangs with the following error for about ten seconds before rebooting the Dreamcast:

nxMakaqu - Fatal Error
Mod_Extradata: caching failed
Try turning off the music in the option screen. I'm pretty sure TAoV is causing Makaqu to die due to lack of RAM; I've optimized the next version of TAoV by 700k also so that'll help in the next release. It also seems that any level that uses WAV music in TAoV crashes even if it's a simple one box level, any idea Fragger? :P - This happened in the older Makaqu, I haven't tested the 1.2 release yet.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:It also seems that any level that uses WAV music in TAoV crashes even if it's a simple one box level, any idea Fragger?
I'm not sure. By the way, QC code behaves differently on the Dreamcast, and I don't know why. A particular problem I found is sub-entity variables being erased (so self.entity == world), but so far I only saw it happening in a little project I'm working on, and this project has a quite exotic code structure.
Tyne wrote:This happened in the older Makaqu, I haven't tested the 1.2 release yet.
Well, the latest version uses less RAM than the version 1.0. And I've also added the developer message "Loading file.ext" for sound files in it, which may be helpful.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Sounds like a great work, I've downloaded it and will test it as soon as i can.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Fragger, that's odd - I'd blame the crappy compilers we're forced to use though as they apparently don't have very good SH4 support and can mess things up requiring some code to be rewritten (I'm sure you knew this ;))

Anyway, the next TAoV version saves 700kb+ on RAM usage (By replacing a few large animated 2D sprites with 3D models) so that'll help along with the optimizations you've made. I'm also going to test a few console commands and see if I can speed things up such as abusing "d_mipscale" among others.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

not to look stupid, but i can't find the download :|
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

thanks
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

It looks like I need to buy Quake one (and a Dreamcast). You said I can swap with a commerical CD? How would that work? Will it load automatically? Also, can you shed us with a couple nxMakaqu screenshots?