Top 5 Dreamcast games that you still need to play

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Top 5 Dreamcast games that you still need to play

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Hi everyone!

So I checked out Gamespot, and they had an interesting article about the top 5 games that the editors still have not played but should. Going based upon this, I am making my own little thread here.

So what 5 dreamcast games do you own or not own that you still need to play to truly experience?

As for me in no particular order:

1) Mars Matrix - I know it is a great shooter, but I still have not picked it up even though I have picked up other gems like Ikaruga, Psyvariar 2, Borderdown, etc.

2) Sakura Wars series - I own the limited box set that has all 4, but I have only seen the opening intros for the games...that is it!

3) Gundam Federation vs. Zeon - Gundam how it was meant to be played...extensively and crafted by the loving hands of Capcom. If it is as good as the one we got here in the US for Dreamcast, I will be happy, but the reviews say it is better!

4) Hundred Swords - It just looks too good to not play for so long, but I decided to play all of my domestics before moving on to imports - Rez and Shenmue II not included.

5) Rhapsody of Zephyr / Fushigi Dungeon Gaiden etc. etc. etc. - Both of these rpgs captivated me with their art, and the later cost a mint. If you have not seen screens of Rhapsody of Zephyr, you owe it to yourself to behold the beauty.

I've got other games that still need love too, but these are the one's that I believe warrant filling up my top 5. So how about you?
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

1. Cosmic Smash.

I think that's pretty much it. Sorry :P
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

the game was sorta louzy ... didn't like it to much..

Anyway I have to play

1)Shenmue Series

2)Resident Evil Series (0,1 rebirth, 4 on GC - 2,3,CV on DC)

3)Grandia 2 still haven't finished this one yet

4) Virtua Tennis and other sports games when friends are around

5)Capcom & SNK 2d fighters when friends are around
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Le Mans 24 hour

Chu Chu Rocket (with alteast 3 other mates who are pumped or get excited easily)
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

1. D2 (have the jap version but still need to get the english one)
2. Sakura Taisen series, only have the 4th game
3. Headhunter, still have it here, don't have the time.
4. Samba da Amigo
5. Seaman

Those are the special ones, apart from them I still have a couple of unplayed and sealed games: Wetrix+, Cannon Spike, Record of Lodoss War, Sega Extreme Sports, Sega Smash Pack, Floigan Brothers, Heavy Metal Geomatrix, The Nomad Soul, Tekken 3 B!, GT2 B!

I spend more time buying games than playing them :P
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

My five would be:

1. Skies Of Arcadia
2. Resi Evil: Code Veronica
3. Spiderman
4. Cosmic Smash
5. Virtual On: OT

Chances are I won't get round to doing it as like Cid I seem to spend more time reading about games and buying them than actually playing them.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I've got tons, but I'll just say the first 5 that come to mind

-Skies of Arcadia (own)
-Grandia 2
-Headhunter (own)
-Seaman (just bought)
-Power Stone
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

Yikes, just 5...

MDK 2 - I've only played through the first level.

Psyvariar 2 - Visually this game looks a lot like Ikaruga. I'm surprised this game hasn't been talked about more - its gorgeous. Only thing that's not so hot about the game: It's one player (dammit, shooters should be 2 player!!!).

Red Dog
- Pretty much the same as MDK 2. It was actually pretty damn fun, and it looks beautiful through VGA, but um... I sorta got Rayman 2 at the same time and well... yeah...

Shenmue 2 - Have the game and haven't even played it yet.

Under Defeat - I played it just a bit at a videogame gathering, and the bomb explosions were so sweet that I bought it the next day.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...That *I* still need to play? Well, jeez. I've played (or at least sampled) ALMOST all of what came out for Dreamcast...I have several favorites, but I don't think I've missed anything good except the shooters and such over the last year or two. All I can think of that I still haven't tried, and kind of want to, are:

- Under Defeat
- Samba de Amigo

And, even though I don't even have a working Dreamcast any more, I'd still pay a pretty penny to get my hands on Castlevania: Resurrection :D
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

No particular order.

- MDK 2
- Skies of Arcadia
- Rent a Hero No. 1
- Segagaga
- Headhunter

And to all the people with Samba De Amigo on their list... you haven't played Dreamcast until you've played SDA. :lol:
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Under defeat. I just need to get around to opening it.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Yeah...Samba de Amigo on the Wii would be something special. We were the lucky ones to get it on the DC. I still need to pick up the sequel, AND I also to need to play it...I've got a pair of maracas that are still in their box...

5 is tough, but some people can't even come up with 5....

:? mikron the Nomad Soul is definitely not the kind of game to make a top 5 list of games worth playing! The only good thing in the game was the music....gameplay was a mixed bag of mediocrity, the graphics belonged on a 32 bit system and not the Dreamcast. A very poor man's Shenmue...very very poor...
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

Its tough for me because there's SO many games on the DC that I haven't beaten.

I don't mind that when they're arcadish type games like Mark of the Wolves, or Crazy Taxi or what not. But then there's games like Resident Evil 3, Dino Crisis, Grandia 2, and Shenmue 2 that I've only played for a half-hour or less. In all seriousness, I've only beaten about half of the fifty or so games I have on DC. :(
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, Omikron was a very sloppy PC port with the WinCE devkit. That game should be running at a solid 60 throughout on a Saturn. :lol:

Instead the DC version is 30 with slowdowns. I still plan on beating it... but I will admit that it is mostly because of the David Bowie soundtrack.

Oh, I also saw that Omikron 2 is in development for 360/PS3. Lets hope they fix the gameplay up a bit and get David Bowie back for the music.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Skies of Arcadia, for one. I'm going to run through it once I get my new 56" DLP HDTV and VGA setup running. I also need to run through Shenmue I (again) and Shenmue II (for the first time). That's pretty much it. Maybe Under Defeat and Border Down as well, if I have some extra cash.

First off, need to mod my Dreamcast, so...we'll see where I go with that. Actually, I need a working 'Cast...gotta fix the controller ports on this busted one I got. Bah. Oh well.

I've been fortunate in that since I run (or ran) a Dreamcast buy/sell operation for the better part of two years, I played almost every US released game on the system in one capacity or another. Most of them are complete crap. :P
Very sexy hero, omg
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

I'm playing through Under Defeat right now. It will knock your socks off the first time you use your bomb. Best bomb in a shooter that I've seen. Seriously. Better than the Radiant Sword in Radiant Silvergun, better than the Super Ray in Dodonpachi, Better than all the pretty lights in Gigawing 2. This bomb just LOOKS DESTRUCTIVE, and if you have a good sub, OHMYGODYES.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

1. Maken X
2. Maken X
3. Maken X
4. Maken X
5. Maken X

Seriously. Best DC game released next to PSO and Shenmue.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Mr. Jones wrote:I'm playing through Under Defeat right now. It will knock your socks off the first time you use your bomb. Best bomb in a shooter that I've seen. Seriously. Better than the Radiant Sword in Radiant Silvergun, better than the Super Ray in Dodonpachi, Better than all the pretty lights in Gigawing 2. This bomb just LOOKS DESTRUCTIVE, and if you have a good sub, OHMYGODYES.
Damn, you've persuaded me to open mine.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Maken X was definitely one sweet sweet game...I just wish Atlus had more love for the Dreamcast just like they showed for the Saturn. Maken X just had an interesting layout in that it was first-person, but it wasn't a shooter. The art was incredible, and I loved the music. Plus, I love how it made you make choices that weren't exactly black and white / good or evil...shades of gray... I am thankful that Sega decided to publish this game.

I just piced up Under Defeat yesterday, but I still have not touched it as of yet. I am still kind of in shock. I got it for virtually $48 new.
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Captain Tokyo »

Space Channel 5 + SC5 part 2

gah misread sorry. thought it was top dc games you STILL play. :/
Last edited by Captain Tokyo on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.