SRAM!!!

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
UnrulyEvanition
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SRAM!!!

Post by UnrulyEvanition »

I was playing FF 5 earlier and saved like your supposed to(in game like normal) but i couldn't get it to load, nor was it in the memory card. Now when I had auto save turned on it saved some FF 2 and FF3 files when i played them the other day, but when I try to load them they don't load. It's like they aren't there. Is it the SRAM that is saved or what?

And exactly what is SRAM?

And someone please help me succesfully save and succesfully load one of the damn save files. LOL. I have lokoed through the forums and found nothing on it.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
battyone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by battyone »

Sram is the on-cartridge ram that your games were saved on, on a real super nintendo. Did you check your VMU for a save file? Without a VMU the SRAM emulation is not there IIRC [which might make playing the FF games a chore, especially for FFV if you are going for a well balanced lvl50+ party for Exdeath]

My advice is to check the VMU for the save files. If they arent there, post what version of DreamSNES you are using . Also, I forget now exactatly how much space on a VMU a safe file takes, I had a seperate DSNES VMU; but my Dreamcast is out of comission :(. [Had it stored away for a year or so, something happened to it in storage, GD's/CD's dont seem to spin up in it anympre :{]
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

That happened to me a lot when I was using DreamSNES. It seems to be a bug in the emulator.
UnrulyEvanition
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

I use the newest DREAMSNES 9.8. I can save baseball games and stuff but nothing like any of the Final Fantasy's. This sucks. LOL. Hmmmm.... now I need to find a RPG I can save.
battyone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by battyone »

Have you checked the rom images with goodsnes? Are they ips patched in any way? Do the function normally under an emulator for your computer?

Also, have you tried another DC snes emulator?
UnrulyEvanition
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

How do I check for IPS? I have only used the newest DreamSNES cause they say that's the best one.
Herr_Ohr
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Herr_Ohr »

If I remember right (but its some years I played DSNES) you have to quit the game after saving, in order to bring dreamSNES to write the savegame from the dreamcast memory onto the vmu!
(it normally saves to memory to speed up saving time)
Herr_Ohr
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Herr_Ohr »

ok .. I tried it out with chrono trigger for you:

first: autosave in options has to be enabled

when saving to vmu, the vmu makes a beeping sound. so you always know, when the savegame has actually been saved.

I saved the game right at the beginnung (worldmap, near millenium fair) and 3 or 4 seconds after pressing "save" the vmu beeped. I left the game, reset my dc and voila: a 3-blocks small 'chrono trigger' save-file was on the vmu
after restarting dSNES and loading chrono trigger, the load-screen appeared with my millenium fair savegame ..

hope that was of help.