Dreamcast Vent Fix v.1

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Vent Fix v.1

Post by Ceielo »

Dreamcast Vent Mod v1

Dreamcasts are said to have a "set lifespan" which makes them overheat and die after a certain period of time. I know of a few people that I met, in person and online, that has had a Dreamcast die on them, one of which said he is "on my third Dreamcast" since his first two died.

I had problems with my Dreamcast nearly overheating. Play for a few hours and my DC would have a lot of heat coming from above the disc drive. I took my Dreamcast apart and looked inside of it to see if I can find anything I can do to help make it run cooler. Then I found this.

In the vent was a piece of metal blocking the airflow! All I did was remove that tab and I played a few hours of Space Channel 5 and NFL 2K1 and it still wasnt nearly as hot as it got when I played 30 minutes of a game when that tab was on.
I kept hearing how, "opening up your Dreamcast will permanantly ruin your console" and that, "you need to have a professional service your Dreamcast for you" but I didnt care, I wanted to fix it without paying a cent.

Here's how to take it out.

Difficulty - 3/10
Just need to open it and tear something out.

Tools needed - Screwdriver(thin), File(to cut/file), Pliers(to speed up cut), Brain(to remember where every screw goes to)

Play a game for about 30 minutes to an hour. Check how hot the area to the right of the lens is.

Check it again after youre done.

------------------

First you just have to open up your Dreamcast. Just gotta find these screws and take them out:

Turn it upright and pull off the top of the disc cover. Dont worry, there is nothing connected to it(or at least on the ones I fixed). Find the two screws that hold the Power Supply down and remove them. Just pull upwards on the Power Supply to remove it.

There are three (3) screws holding down the Disc Drive(White). Just remove those and pull upwards. Pull off the ribbon to the Controller Ports and take out the four (4) screws(Purple).
Dont touch the lens of the disc drive. Also dont flip the disc drive upside down while holding only the sides, your lens part will fall out.

The controller ports will have a wire going to the fan. They are really thin so you might not want to risk tearing them off so just hang it off the side of the Dreamcast.

Take out the screws to the big platform that holds everything up. Now take the plastic handle in the middle to pull the platform up and cut off the piece of metal that sticks 90 degrees off of this.

You can file it off for a bit then use the pliers to keep bending it to make it thin out and take the tab off. Use the file to make it so that there are nothing sticking out and that its not sharp.

Now just go backwards to put the whole thing together. On the Power Supply, there should be a white thing that goes to the 4 prongs on the base. Make sure that goes on right. Plug everything together and put on the screws.

Before putting the screws back on for the cover, hold it down a bit and test it out to see if your Dreamcast is still working. If not, you put something on wrong. If its working, then put on the screws and youre done.

Play a game for a bit and check the heat on the right side of the lens(not ON the lens). It shouldnt be heating up as much as it used to. Thats because theres air flowing into the Dreamcast now.

Or in Lamans terms, Just take off the metal peice thats blocking the back vent with a file or anything you can use to take it off with.

If you need extra help, you know how to get to me.
Ceielo To My Lil' Friend!
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

lol "opening up your Dreamcast will permanantly ruin your console" and that, "you need to have a professional service your Dreamcast for you"

i guess my dreamcast has been permanantly ruined dozens of times and i'm a professional at servicing the dreamcast :lol:
wont u be my friend?
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Funny thing is, the plate you are removing was part of the heat spreader. Air going to the vent cooled the spreader, in turn cooling the CPU and others. my sugestion would be this:

Find some cheapo small ram-sinks, and place them upside down, on the plate, air flow still going in. If they are small enough to fit in there, it can theoretically spread the airflow out and cool even better.

Just a suggestion.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

dcmodder wrote:lol "opening up your Dreamcast will permanantly ruin your console" and that, "you need to have a professional service your Dreamcast for you"

i guess my dreamcast has been permanantly ruined dozens of times and i'm a professional at servicing the dreamcast :lol:
Yeah, thats what I read in other forums and such. I didnt really care either way, I can easily fix PS2s with DREs so this should probably be easy, right? Well I found out its easier than a PS2 because of how its assembled.

I made that guide for newbies and made pics with Photoshop(great skills on PS huh?) and put them on there. It worked with 3 Dreamcasts so far, and all with the same result. Less heat problems and more gametime.
Morphv2 wrote:Funny thing is, the plate you are removing was part of the heat spreader. Air going to the vent cooled the spreader, in turn cooling the CPU and others. my sugestion would be this:

Find some cheapo small ram-sinks, and place them upside down, on the plate, air flow still going in. If they are small enough to fit in there, it can theoretically spread the airflow out and cool even better.

Just a suggestion.
It is? Wtf? After I took that tab off, it made my Dreamcast run cooler for longer. How Ironic. It never really heated up like it used to anymore, while its still in the same spot as it used to be.

I was thinking of getting little heat sinks and putting them in there but I thought I would put them in wrong and block air flow and ruin it. Im still kinda new at doing stuff to stuff.

I am trying to find mods for my little Dreamcast. I love it! Just like I love my PS2 and GameCube and XBox. Cant find mods for GameCube though, and probably dont want to because I love it too much. Gon mod my XBox like I did to my PS2.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v438/Ceielo/Games/
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

I'm sorry but this is a crock of 5hit, take care of your DC and STFU!
Sora Aoi, DoB : Nov. 11/83
Three #s : B35 [F Cup]-W23-H33
Ht : 5"1', Wt : She Ain't Telling
Eyes : Brwn, Hair : Brwn
Natural Bust : Disputed, Blood Type : B
Sexual Orientation : Heterosexual, Stage Names : Sola Aoi
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

I do take care of my DC. Overheated even after 20 minutes of play time. Took that off, the heat problem disappeared. How is that NOT taking care of it?
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

Ceielo wrote:I do take care of my DC. Overheated even after 20 minutes of play time. Took that off, the heat problem disappeared. How is that NOT taking care of it?
Ive had my DC for 2 years, I can play for 4 hours and never have heat problems, your DC must be wrapped in a blanket. XD
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Vlame wrote:I'm sorry but this is a crock of 5hit, take care of your DC and STFU!
No need to flame anyone. I actually would take his advice if he added a way to add in another small fan, because that would help greatly. However, this did work for a spare dc I had that overheated after 5 minutes.

If nothing else, try this on a failing dreamcast.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

I never wrap any of my consoles or place them on a blanket. I put that one on a bed to take the pictures because thats where the light was.

I dont really know if I could fit an extra fan. One of my friends used to use a big fan(for personal use) and blow the back of the Dreamcast and that worked to keep it cool. I never had room where I put my consoles for a fan like that.
Vlame
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vlame »

It's easy to install a DC fan...
Take a blade and a lighter then heat the blade slice off the part of the DC's shell where you want the fan to be at then power it where the first one is or do external power, like batteries or something.

Ceielo with your permission I'd like to C/P this tutorial and post it else where. Thanks. ;)
dc_modder
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dc_modder »

Ive had my DC for 2 years, I can play for 4 hours and never have heat problems, your DC must be wrapped in a blanket. XD
Your DC. Not his.
It's easy to install a DC fan...
Take a blade and a lighter then heat the blade slice off the part of the DC's shell where you want the fan to be at then power it where the first one is or do external power, like batteries or something.

Ceielo with your permission I'd like to C/P this tutorial and post it else where. Thanks.
Change of attitude, eh? And who would power a fan with batteries when there is a perfectly good power source inches away? Oh, sorry, you would.
-------------------------------
Nice tut, it helped my DC.
This message was brought to you by the letter A.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

:)

Post by Ceielo »

Vlame wrote:Ceielo with your permission I'd like to C/P this tutorial and post it else where. Thanks. ;)
Yeah, I dont mind, thats why I put this up into a few forums. Just remember to say that "Ceielo" made the tutorial. I was looking around in a few sites and never saw anything about this so I wrote one myself.
dc_modder wrote:
Your DC. Not his.

-------------------------------
Nice tut, it helped my DC.
Thanks. :)
Yeah, like I was gon say(But got disconnected and THOUGHT I already posted), all Dreamcasts are different. Like the fans are made different. Mine is metal I think. Saw a plastic one(unless that one was mine).

Lets try to keep the flaming to a minimum please? If you dont believe that this works, just simply dont try it. If youre having heating problems, at least try it. You should be able to weld that piece back if it doesnt help lol.