REally tempted to get a PSP.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

REally tempted to get a PSP.

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am really tempted to get one after seeing that new Megaman game. However most know I am very picky about what games I like. So from those who know me is there realyl any other games I might enjoy on this system. The only other game I can think of off hand that might be decent would be the GTA game, but I think I would assume wait for the playstation 2 port of that particular game.

Also how difficult is the emulation scene on the PSP. I haven't paid close attention but it looks like Sony is constantly upgrading the firmware (or whatever) to break emu's. Also isn't there people who are completely ruining their psp's by not uploading emu's correctly and such? If the PSP has a excellent emulation scene it would be worth buying just for that really. However if it going to be a pain to use the emulators (IE have to mod the system, take chances of screwing it up, or go through similar crap like you have to do on dreamcast emulators) Id just assume not fool with it.

I am always looking for more games to play while I am on the road, so far the DS has kept a decent amount of games glowing though to keep me happy. I am getting sick of the GBA quality games on the DS though. Almost every game made on the DS is just a GBA game with some annoying touch screen function that really doens't add much to the game.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Fanjita's eLoader for 2.01+ PSPs is pretty much fool proof, and you're not modding any files or hardware really so it's safe, just run the installer. Plus new stuff is added all the time.

As far as the PSP's library is concerned, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. SSX On Tour, Burnout Legends, GTA:LCS, and Lumines are easily my most favourite handheld games of all time. Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Metal Gear Acid were very enjoyable too. Yeah you can find variations of SSX and Burnout on consoles, but on the go they're just as great, and have amazing soundtracks to boot.

If you're looking into emulation on a PSP with 2.01 firmware or higher then you'll need to buy GTA anyways, but it was such a great game though so you're killing two birds with one stone on that one.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Honestly, I could live quite fine without my PSP. I've had it for about 7 months or so and I've barely played it. I only have 2 games for it. It was gonna be used for all emulation and portable media, but I got sick of that quickly. Even bought a 1GB memory stick for it too. :|
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

It really depends on if you are a handheld gamer. If you find yourself playing handhelds just as much, if not more, than console games, then you definately need to pick up a PSP. But if you rarely play handhelds, or if you are just looking for something to kill short amounts of time, then just stick with your DS. The PSP is a great device for people that play handhelds a lot mainly because it's practially a portable PS2. But like console games, it's not really good for quick spurts. Most games for it are designed to be real investments of time. It really depends on what you want out of your handheld.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Just get a Game King II. It has three built in games, a speaker that makes your hand shake, and costs 15$.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

if i got a psp it would be for megaman x hunters and suikoden 1&2 ....
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Here is the deal with PSP and emulation:

You PSP can either be a console for commercial games or a console for excellent emulation. However, it can never be both. Simple.

I have been lucky because every game I have wanted on PSP has not pushed my firmware past 2.0, meaning I can play all my favourite games, and emulate to hell. However, I know eventually more games I want will come out, and I will end up upgrading my PSP beyond what firmware is currently supported.

I could stop buying commercial games and reserve it simply for emulation, but then that means I've got a serious piece of hardware playing nothing but games from a decade ago, which is simply a waste in my opinion.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I'd wait until next year when hopefully the psp has more than a handful of decent games. At least from my perspective, the games for it have been utter crap. With most of the games that I've played, I had a hell of a time with the controls (found the analog to be hard to access, as well as the face buttons)

and I've heard from attack of the show, that the umd format may be going the way of the beta, as more and more stores, including walmart, have announced plans to stop carrying them (the umd movies) Maybe those umd movies will be worth more than the console in the near future..
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Smiley wrote: and I've heard from attack of the show, that the umd format may be going the way of the beta, as more and more stores, including walmart, have announced plans to stop carrying them (the umd movies) Maybe those umd movies will be worth more than the console in the near future..
Stores not carrying UMDs is a less serious issue than the fact quite a few Movie companies are just dropping support altogether. UMDs being a flop is hardly a huge surprise however.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

It really was a stupid idea and I have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Of course people are gonna stick to dvds when they're, in most cases, cheaper than a UMD and can be re-encoded to play on almost any video device. Stupid stupid stupid!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It isnt suprising. UMDs are more expensive that DVDs and significantly less functional. I would suggest lowering the price, but because the format has such a limited audience, they have to be expensive to remain profitable.

If you want movies on your PSP, rip them and stick them on your memory stick. There is no need to buy them seperate. Plus, not only do you save money that way, but battery life is significantly improved when youre using memory sticks instead of an optical drive.

As for games, PSP does have some quality titles. The problem is, they just dont have thet same portability that the DS does. If you love relaxing at home on the bed playing a handheld for hours at a time, a PSP could easily get a lot of use. But it just doesn't work if you've got a 20 minute train journey to kill or a 10 minute wait for a class. Unless that is, you get emulation working as well. No loading times + save states make a great portable option.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:Here is the deal with PSP and emulation:

You PSP can either be a console for commercial games or a console for excellent emulation. However, it can never be both. Simple.

I have been lucky because every game I have wanted on PSP has not pushed my firmware past 2.0, meaning I can play all my favourite games, and emulate to hell. However, I know eventually more games I want will come out, and I will end up upgrading my PSP beyond what firmware is currently supported.
As long as you have GTA:LCS that is even less of a concern. You can easily use it as both, you simply have to be more aware of the impact each game you buy will have (as in, don't buy and play games right away that will update your firmware past what is usable for homebrew, which at the present time isn't anything)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

I could stop buying commercial games and reserve it simply for emulation, but then that means I've got a serious piece of hardware playing nothing but games from a decade ago, which is simply a waste in my opinion.
its quite likely all newer firmwares will be hacked too, just like 2.00

so if you stay behind the new games curve for half/whole year, you should be good as far as firmware is concerned, and on top of that, those games should also cost less then new price by the time you buy em

the only downside is that you cant play the newest games when they launch
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:

its quite likely all newer firmwares will be hacked too, just like 2.00

so if you stay behind the new games curve for half/whole year, you should be good as far as firmware is concerned, and on top of that, those games should also cost less then new price by the time you buy em

the only downside is that you cant play the newest games when they launch
That is basically what I do now with my xbox/PS2 :-)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:I could stop buying commercial games and reserve it simply for emulation, but then that means I've got a serious piece of hardware playing nothing but games from a decade ago, which is simply a waste in my opinion.
That's exactly what happened to me. I wanted to play Daxter, Megaman Powered Up, and Me and My Katamari, but I refused to upgrade my 1.5 PSP. And beyond pure warez (which I'd rather not, especially for Katamari), there was simply no way to play these games without an upgrade. I was forced into buying a second PSP just so I didn't have to upgrade. Of course, I got an insane deal on that second PSP, but still...
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:its quite likely all newer firmwares will be hacked too, just like 2.00
Yeah, just like they figured out how to get past 1.5. That's why they released 2.0, but they figured out how to get past that...which is why they released 2.5, but they figured out how to get past that...which is why they released 2.6.

See the pattern? Everytime someone finds a way around it, they release a new one. It becomes a time consuming process just to keep up with all the changes. And what's worse, it seems like with every update, they are forced to move away from booting a UMD and migrating towards strictly ISO loading, which not only is cost prohibitive (due to the price of Memory Sticks), but it requires a whole lot of modifications and rips of games, all of which promotes the warez scene more and more.
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

BoneyCork wrote: As for games, PSP does have some quality titles. The problem is, they just dont have thet same portability that the DS does. If you love relaxing at home on the bed playing a handheld for hours at a time, a PSP could easily get a lot of use. But it just doesn't work if you've got a 20 minute train journey to kill or a 10 minute wait for a class. Unless that is, you get emulation working as well. No loading times + save states make a great portable option.
This seems to be a big concern to most people, but I have to disagree. Because of the sleep function, you can just as easily play it for 10 minutes as well as for longer intervals. Some games this is true because of rediculous load times, but none of the games I have long load times.

GTA for example is excellent in short bursts. Play a mission or two, put it to sleep, then start back up exactly where you ended. The only ones I can think of would be Midnight Club or that Smackdown game (neither of which I own) that apparently have rediculously long load times.

As for homebrew, the emulators are excellent. It plays SNES near perfect, Genesis perfect (as far as I can tell), NES perfect, etc. Yes the firmware thing is annoying, but I don't know that they'll be able to stop the GTA exploit, since its a hack in the GTA code rather than anything related to the firmware as far as I can tell. The only thing the eLoader can't play are ISO loaders and such, which obviously is a good thing anyway. Doubt Sony will care too much about homebrew if they can't run illegal copies of games.

Also, the quality of PSP games lately have been rather good. Syphon Filter, Daxter, Pursuit Force, are all nice exclusives. But yes, overall the DS has a better lineup of commercial games.

-Matt
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

...Me & My Katamari...
Feel it, Don't think
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sounds like the emulation is too much of a pain to worry about, and I don't like the idea of having to upgrade the system software just to play commercial games. Think I will pass till they drop the price of the system and/or include some stuff with it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Veggita2099 wrote:Sounds like the emulation is too much of a pain to worry about, and I don't like the idea of having to upgrade the system software just to play commercial games. Think I will pass till they drop the price of the system and/or include some stuff with it.
Well if you dont want to emulate, why would the upgrading be an issue?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Sounds like the emulation is too much of a pain to worry about, and I don't like the idea of having to upgrade the system software just to play commercial games. Think I will pass till they drop the price of the system and/or include some stuff with it.
Well if you dont want to emulate, why would the upgrading be an issue?
The possibility of bricking?