I think I want to get my A+

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I think I want to get my A+

Post by Roofus »

Does anyone here have one or taken the exam? What do I need to study? I most likely know most/all of what I need to know, but it'd be nice to know what to focus on.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

It has turned out to be nothing but a complete waste of $250 for me, but from what I remember, DOS, Basic networking, a bit of Windows device conflicts on same irq/dma troubleshooting, COM ports, and simple bus architecture (pci, isa, cisa) questions took up a majority of my test. Keep in mind that I got my A+ in 1999, so things may have changed.

Anyway, you're average $10 "How to pass the A+ exam" book should give you everything you need. Good luck with it, Roofie.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

A+ exam?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

LyingWake wrote:A+ exam?

Computer certification
It's thinking...
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

I took my A+ last year, and in addition to what farrell2k mentioned, make sure you know the "new" start menu style in XP, because they will ask you XP questions and expect you to answer using the new layout (start -> control panel vs. start -> settings -> control panel).

A+ is broken into two tests: Core Hardware and Core Software. The hardware section expects you to be familiar with processors from 386 through Pentium 4, be able to identify the slots and sockets they plug into, and how much cache they have (they wont always ask you about it, and you only need like 60% to pass, so don't stress too much on it). You also need to know how IRQs are assigned, which ones are reserved, etc. Know what an ISA, PCI, AGP, etc. card looks like, and the different kinds of RAM (SIMM, DIMM, SIP, etc.). They'll show you pictures of things and ask you to identify them. If you know how to build a Pentium 1 system, as well as a Pentium 4 system, you should be alright on this test.

The second test is Core Software, which expects you to be familiar with DOS through XP. They'll ask you basic troubleshooting questions, basic networking questions, and basic configuration questions. Things from "How do you change the wallpaper?" through "How do you set your IP?".

Pick up a cheap A+ study guy that includes a computer-based practice test and you should be fine. The practice test will give you a feel for how the actual A+ testing software works.

-Sam
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

And about the certificate's value: a lot of hardware vendors wont let you order parts directly without A+ certification (you can sit on hold with customer service if you really want, but if you're certified and your company has a contract with them, you can just order parts yourself). A+ is also a jumping point into vendor-specific certifications, ex. A+ is required to take the IBM certification through my job. It depends on what field you're looking to go into.

-Sam
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

c99koder wrote:And about the certificate's value: a lot of hardware vendors wont let you order parts directly without A+ certification (you can sit on hold with customer service if you really want, but if you're certified and your company has a contract with them, you can just order parts yourself). A+ is also a jumping point into vendor-specific certifications, ex. A+ is required to take the IBM certification through my job. It depends on what field you're looking to go into.

-Sam
Hmm.. I may have to look into this. Thanks for the info.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the biggest + about A+ is that it's a lifetime certification (which of course makes no sense) but that means that once you plop down the money for it, you never have to again.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
SomberStrekking
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SomberStrekking »

i read some of the A+ book and it seems pretty easy as long as you know a lot about computer hardware its simple
BLAH
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I might actually go do this one day. It'd be a lot easier to land a good job this way.
It's thinking...
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

|darc| wrote:I might actually go do this one day. It'd be a lot easier to land a good job this way.
You ain't kiddin.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Real men go for their ccnp.

Nub

:kiss)
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Would this be worth it even if I'm not going into a career in CompSci? ... I do need a job this summer though....
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

How much does A+ cert cost?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ace wrote:How much does A+ cert cost?
About $150 or something like that
It's thinking...
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

MulletMan13 wrote:Would this be worth it even if I'm not going into a career in CompSci? ... I do need a job this summer though....
A+ isn't going to help you with CompSci at all. A+ is more on how to use stuff rather than how to design it.

As for the price, you can usually find vouchers at a discounted price. When I took mine, the CompTIA site had a bunch of 'em available.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

c99koder wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:Would this be worth it even if I'm not going into a career in CompSci? ... I do need a job this summer though....
A+ isn't going to help you with CompSci at all. A+ is more on how to use stuff rather than how to design it.

As for the price, you can usually find vouchers at a discounted price. When I took mine, the CompTIA site had a bunch of 'em available.
Heh, I said that I'm not going into compsci, but good advice either way. Would this help me secure a summer job for CompUSA / Best Buy computer diagnostics? ... if so, then I might just look for a place to get this test done.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MulletMan13 wrote:
c99koder wrote:

Heh, I said that I'm not going into compsci, but good advice either way. Would this help me secure a summer job for CompUSA / Best Buy computer diagnostics? ... if so, then I might just look for a place to get this test done.
I think that's a definite yes.
It's thinking...
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I'm sittin in class burshin up for it. You should be just fine to walk in drop your money and leave with your certification.