Sonic Gems = Big letdown

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonic Gems = Big letdown

Post by Veggita2099 »

Had $20 to spend at bestbuy today from a giftcard I got. Anyways I seen Sonic Gems and thought ID buy it. I seen it had Sonic CD which I knew I liked, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was good, and as far as the others went I had no clue.

WEll I guess I should have read it closer but the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 it came with was the crappy Game Gear version (I always hated that lame game), and even the Sonic Spinball and other Sonic games are all lousy Game Gear versions. The Sonic CD version is good stuff, however the bonus games act like they are moving in fast forward, I guess its where the Gamecube can run the 3D bonus stage so much faster? And as far as Sonic R goes that game is crap at best, controls on it feel like I am moving a race car in a racing game not Sonic. In fact they probably could have just replaced the Sonic charactors with a car and gameplay wise it would have been about the same. No wonder so many Saturn owners was pissed when they was waiting for Sonic Extream and they got this?

I guess I should have read the game abit better as it does clearly state there is no Genesis games. I just automatically assumed they was Genesis games when I seen Sega CD for some reason. I never did like any of the Sonic games on Game Gear they was just too watered down for me.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Yep, you were thinking of Sonic Mega Collection. That one has all the Genesis games and can be found for $10-$20.

I do plan on getting the Sonic Gems Collection though. I have Sonic CD but it's scratched, and I've never played Sonic R, nor Sonic The Fighters.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

i wasn't all that let down with sonic gems. Although i was disappointed by Sonic CD as amazing as that maybe. I wanted to see what everyone liked about Sonic CD ,but it just seemed like a great idea on paper that got together very sloppy. I don't see any reason to jump times ,and certain spots of the graphics feel thrown together as well as some of the boss battles (mainly the pinball one) is either very hard ,or have no point. maybe i just got to give it more time.

I really enjoyed Sonic Fighters actually. I guess i'm more for those simple fighters since i'm not a hardcore fighting game fan. I wasn't one of those who studied Street Fighter 2 button by button press back in the early 90's.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

yes sonic R is a horrible game (newer version of sonic drift?) but you have to admit the soundtrack is catchy.........

take me back in time, to another wor.....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I never did fool around with trying to cure the past to get a good future, I think if you are able to do it to every level in the game you might get a bonus ending, but there is no way I would even attempt it.

I did find 1 of those Game Gear games that is somewhat enjoyable, it is Tails Adventure. It is more of a RPG then a Sonic game though.

Sonic CD would be a lot better of the Bonus stages wasn't in fast forward though. Hard to get through them though at that speed.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

well, since I've never played sonic cd, I was quite happy with the title just for that game alone; I also hated sonic r and the gameegar versions of the sonic games
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

I got them both just because I'm a Sonic Junkie :(
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

I bought both collections at the same time and only played them once each :cry:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Veggita2099 wrote:Sonic CD would be a lot better of the Bonus stages wasn't in fast forward though. Hard to get through them though at that speed.
That's pretty much how they were in the PC version of Sonic CD. The Sonic Gems version appears to be a port of the PC version, although it has a much nicer quality video intro than any other version of Sonic CD.

I don't know why they kept the loading screens in there though. They only way you'd notice it loading is because the loading screen flashes up on the screen for a fraction of a second.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

BlackAura wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Sonic CD would be a lot better of the Bonus stages wasn't in fast forward though. Hard to get through them though at that speed.
That's pretty much how they were in the PC version of Sonic CD. The Sonic Gems version appears to be a port of the PC version, although it has a much nicer quality video intro than any other version of Sonic CD.

I don't know why they kept the loading screens in there though. They only way you'd notice it loading is because the loading screen flashes up on the screen for a fraction of a second.
Yeah that kept distracting me. i thought it was a map screen i was missing something.