Why does Akira Toriyama keep getting work?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why does Akira Toriyama keep getting work?

Post by Lartrak »

I don't get it. You could swap in any single projects of his design's, and just change the clothes a little. That's all he's ever done since he designed the DBZ characters. He has the most trite, repetitive style I have ever seen in a character designer. He has two or three male type faces which haven't changed in like 15 years (compare the leads face in Dragon Quest 8 to half the male characters in DBZ).

To top it all off, his designs look stupid. All the men look constipated and all the women look like they've had their faces smashed.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Becuase people keep buying it. End of story.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Zealous zerotype wrote:Becuase people keep buying it. End of story.
You don't need to state the obvious. I wanted to know what people see in his work as I clearly don't understand it.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Even though it's the same crap over and over again, it still stands out amongst the sea of generic anime faces. It's not good stuff but his work is distinguishable unlike most other anime artists. But the reason he has work with the Dragon Quest/Warrior franchise is because he was there from the beginning, right with DQ/W 1.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I noticed Chrono from the ps1 remake of Chrono Trigger also looks like goku/dude from dq8, etc.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

The world and creature/monster designs that he creates for his stuff are usually quite impressive. It's just his characters that lack a bit of imagination.

But yeah like AgentGreen said, when you see his stuff you'll know it's drawn by him, so atleast he's done something right.
Last edited by Joestar on Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Yes. Yes he does. That is because Toriyama worked on Chrono Trigger, as did many famous Japanese artists and composers of the time did.

Right?
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

yup.

iirc Square and Enix (specifically the DQ staff) colloborated for that game, and he was part of enix at the time.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Because Americans and Stupid and give into trends

And yes I say this as an american.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Why does Akira Toriyama keep getting work?

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote:I don't get it. You could swap in any single projects of his design's, and just change the clothes a little. That's all he's ever done since he designed the DBZ characters. He has the most trite, repetitive style I have ever seen in a character designer. He has two or three male type faces which haven't changed in like 15 years (compare the leads face in Dragon Quest 8 to half the male characters in DBZ).

To top it all off, his designs look stupid. All the men look constipated and all the women look like they've had their faces smashed.
Because before it was trite and repetative, people liked it, so if given more of the same, why not like that too?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Joestar wrote:The world and creature/monster designs that he creates for his stuff are usually quite impressive. It's just his characters that lack a bit of imagination.

But yeah like AgentGreen said, when you see his stuff you'll know it's drawn by him, so atleast he's done something right.
I can recognize his work TOO well. I will give him credit for at least having characters that are significantly different from most in anime/manga though.
Because Americans and Stupid and give into trends
He's more popular in Japan than here.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

navi wrote:Because Americans and Stupid and give into trends

and i realllllllllly don't see how this has anything to do with America ...its not like EA is having Toriyama do work.... Toriyama has been designing characters for the dragon quest series since the first. That is for Enix...now square-enix

why does that have anything to do with Americans?

(ironiclly I have Crono as a avstar)
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Bah atleast he has his own style, hes a great artist and really doesnt need to changed his style because its works well for him, and I personally would like to see you do better
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Sir Slash wrote:
navi wrote:Because Americans and Stupid and give into trends

and i realllllllllly don't see how this has anything to do with America ...its not like EA is having Toriyama do work.... Toriyama has been designing characters for the dragon quest series since the first. That is for Enix...now square-enix

why does that have anything to do with Americans?

(ironiclly I have Crono as a avstar)
Because the Marketing in that is. "hey you should play Dragon Quest 8, Akira Toriyama Drew the Characters!!" "zOMG R3@11y?!!!"

I know because when I was younger that's the only reason I wanted Chrono Trigger aside from Loving Square RPG's. (Yes I love Chrono Trigger I'm not dissing it)

I'm saying I don't like how Americans, Particularly young teens who are insecure about their masquelinty, swarm to this crap thinking it will make them 'cool'.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

ok point made... i wasnt even familar with Akira Toriyama until i saw DBZ on cartoon network back around 98 99 (watching because they reminded me of CT)

but any way he is way over hyped
I remember a magazine that wanted to put Chrono Trigger on the cover and couldnt because of how anal he was about his work... might have been gamefan or egm
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

ASCIIN wrote:Bah atleast he has his own style, hes a great artist and really doesnt need to changed his style because its works well for him, and I personally would like to see you do better

I don't think he's a great artist. I wouldn't say he's bad, really. He doesn't ever make serious errors, like bad proportions or whatnot. But I wouldn't say he's good either. And his designs suck and have always sucked.

Whether I can do better or not is completely irrelevant.
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

Does the girl in Dragon Quest 8 remind anyone else of any particular character in a Dreamcast title?

Perhaps:

Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

navi wrote: Because the Marketing in that is. "hey you should play Dragon Quest 8, Akira Toriyama Drew the Characters!!" "zOMG R3@11y?!!!"

I know because when I was younger that's the only reason I wanted Chrono Trigger aside from Loving Square RPG's. (Yes I love Chrono Trigger I'm not dissing it)

I'm saying I don't like how Americans, Particularly young teens who are insecure about their masquelinty, swarm to this crap thinking it will make them 'cool'.
I pity the fool who things that liking Akira Toriyama in America will make them cool.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

navi wrote:Because the Marketing in that is. "hey you should play Dragon Quest 8, Akira Toriyama Drew the Characters!!" "zOMG R3@11y?!!!"
Actually, I think the reaction more people are going to have is, "hey you should play Dragon Quest 8, it comes with a FF12 demo!!" "zOMG R3@11y?!!!"
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

navi wrote:Because the Marketing in that is. "hey you should play Dragon Quest 8, Akira Toriyama Drew the Characters!!" "zOMG R3@11y?!!!"
During the battle scenes of DQ8, you can power up (called 'tension') your hero. Once you power up to the max level your character will have spiky hair and a glowing aura (ala Super sayajin DBZ). In the Japanese version you can do all that, and the character would glow but without the spiked hair.

They've shown this sequence in the trailers, so clearly they think they needed more confirmation it's made by the dbz creator. :grinthumb: