Anyone have Dragon Quest VIII?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Anyone have Dragon Quest VIII?

Post by melancholy »

Just out of curiousity, what did you name your main character?
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by arrowhead »

Is it as good as it looks? Whats your review? Blockbuster hasnt had it in to rent in almost a month so I am waiting on it to come back so I can give it a try. I just dusted off dragon warrior 7 and have restarted it from the beginning. Its gonna take me 2 years to pass DW7.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

arrowhead wrote:Is it as good as it looks? Whats your review? Blockbuster hasnt had it in to rent in almost a month so I am waiting on it to come back so I can give it a try. I just dusted off dragon warrior 7 and have restarted it from the beginning. Its gonna take me 2 years to pass DW7.
well from the reviews I've read it pretty much sums up like this
If you liked 7, your gonna hate 8
If you hated 7, your gonng love 8
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

I used my own name, Mike.

Yeah so i'm not very creative...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I liked the demo, not sure how the game rates though...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

What about if you hated every dragon warrior game on NES. ACtually I just couldn't stand any of the NES RPG games. They all where too slow and generic :/

I never played any of the actual Dragon Quest games.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

navi wrote:well from the reviews I've read it pretty much sums up like this
WTF? I loved 7, and so far, 8 is frickin' awesome! Granted I've only put 4 hours on it, but that was four hour straight, something I have not done for a video game in many, many years.

BTW, my character's name is Thero. The manual had his name listed as 'The Hero', so I decided to keep it.

See:
Thero
Thero.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

creative. for me, dragon warrior was the first game i got with my nes, and i was hooked on dw and rpgs from that moment. i havent played any of the new ones, but if they are as good as they look, i will be in the market soon.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

melancholy wrote:
WTF? I loved 7, and so far, 8 is frickin' awesome! Granted I've only put 4 hours on it, but that was four hour straight, something I have not done for a video game in many, many years.

BTW, my character's name is Thero. The manual had his name listed as 'The Hero', so I decided to keep it.

See:
Thero
Thero.
Well that's not my Opinion just what I read, personally I'm looking forward to it!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

navi wrote:
melancholy wrote:

See:
Thero
Thero.
Well that's not my Opinion just what I read, personally I'm looking forward to it!
Don't trust them. Get it and watch your free time die.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

melancholy wrote:
navi wrote:
melancholy wrote:

See:
Thero
Thero.
Don't trust them. Get it and watch your free time die.
I always do :lol:
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

Wait that FF demo is no good? Man I bet a bunch of people bought it just for that.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

milfzor wrote:a little off subject, but how bout that ffxii demo....quite craptastic, imo...
Yeah, I was going to say something about that! I got the DQ8 demo, and easily could have sunk 3 hours into that demo. I play the FF12 demo, and I get through it in under 5 minutes. WTF? Hell, the intro movie was longer than the actual demo lasted!

The fighting style is definately strange. You run around randomly hoping not to get attacked while you wait for the timer to fill. Once the timer fills, you attack automatically. You have no control over your allies for the most part (think Kingdom Hearts), and the only control over your own character is where he runs. He attacks automatically, casts spells automatically...you just choose what you want him to do and just wait on the timer. The rest is done for you. It's basically like playing Kingdom Hearts, only the only thing you control is were Sora runs. They give you freedom, but then they play for you. Extremely weird and most certainly confusing.

As for the graphics, a big 'meh' comes to mind. The characters and enemies look pretty nice, but the environments are extremely bland. And, get ready for this, there are camera issues. That's right, you now have complete control of the camera, for better or worse. I got blasted by an enemy once because the camera got stuck behind a rock. I also was mauled by the area boss because the camera got pinned between the boss's tail and the cliff. Unexceptable.

One thing that was really cool, though, was that you see every enemy in advance. You can run by enemies or sneak up on enemies. But what's cooler is that you can get enemies to fight each other, or even team up with weaker enemies to fight stronger ones. There were these little creatures that were trying to kill me, but then I seen two of them fighting this huge horse thing, so I ran up and killed the horse, and the little creatures were so thankful that not only did they stop trying to kill me, but they actually helped me fight the area boss. How freakin' cool is that?

In the end, the Final Fantasy demo certainly did not live up to my expectations. I was expecting ground breaking, and all I got was annoyingly different, with only a handful of cool ideas.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

I'm guessing you haven't played FFXI, cos they just used the same battle system as that
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Joestar wrote:I'm guessing you haven't played FFXI, cos they just used the same battle system as that
Ew, really? No, I've never touched it since it's an online game and I hate online games.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

melancholy wrote:
Joestar wrote:I'm guessing you haven't played FFXI, cos they just used the same battle system as that
Ew, really? No, I've never touched it since it's an online game and I hate online games.
if you mean that you can see the enemies on screen then yes, other than that it has nothing to do with the ffxi battle system. ffxi it was a hell of a lot easier choosing what enemy to fight, you didnt have some dumbass arc going to the enemy. i didnt like the demo at all. glad i ebayed it.

back to dragon quest, i just beat it the other day, got both endings, a very nice and long r.p.g.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

pavelbure wrote:
melancholy wrote:
if you mean that you can see the enemies on screen then yes, other than that it has nothing to do with the ffxi battle system.
Nothing to do with the ffxi battle system? Okay it may not be *exactly* the same (should have made that clearer), but they certainly kept a lot of things from it and tweaked it up from there.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

pavelbure wrote:back to dragon quest, i just beat it the other day, got both endings, a very nice and long r.p.g.
Both endings!? You mean there's two endings? Please god, tell me that they are slight variations, because I would never have the stamina to play through that game twice. In all honesty, I will be lucky to beat it once. How long did it take you to beat it? I'm only 20 hours in, so don't spoil anything for me BTW.