what's wrong here?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what's wrong here?

Post by Nemesis »

OK, i finished the wireing for my internal vmu and rumble-reactant LED mod..
what i did was solder a hacked-up controller board with an extended VMU slot directly to the controller slot board...it works fine loading data, savin data, and reacting to rumble, but when i plug a contoller into that slot (slot 1), it seems to get over-ridden by the contoller i plugged in...why is this, and what should i do to fix it?
Feel it, Don't think
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

Well the dreamcast isnt designed to have two things plugged into one controller port. That could easily blow the f1 resistor/fuse.
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

uh... the words internal and vmu... can those even be used in the same sentence together?
wont u be my friend?
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

that won't work. You cant have two controllers plugged into one port. The one that is used as the interface for your internal VMU will be sending signals the same as the controller, they will overlap causing neither to work.

edit: search for a DC controller pinout, its possible that of the five wires, two are VCC/GND and the signal sent for the VMU and the controller bus may be on seperate wires, then you could just disconnect the VMU signal wire from the port to the external controller. It's unlikely that the controller works this way - but it is a possibilty.

You can either:

Have a switch that turns off the grounding/VCC for the internal controller board, so you can use the controller normally and when you want to save switch the ground from the external controller to the internal VMU.

Put the internal VMU + rumble onto port 4 so that unless your playing a 4 palyer game you wont need it. Most games will allow you to save to any VMU in any slot. You may still want a switch to turn this off to play 4 palyer games.

Hope that helps :wink:
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

lol i kind of had the same problem for my ps2i except the ps2 allowes two controllers to be plugged in as long as one is off when the other is being plugged in. a nifty little switch helped for that. turned off the internal controller (base) plug in another controller then turned the base back on. maybe that'll work for the dreamcast too. who knows
wont u be my friend?
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

dcmodder wrote: a nifty little switch helped for that. turned off the internal controller (base) plug in another controller then turned the base back on. maybe that'll work for the dreamcast too. who knows
didnt i just suggest that? :|

the differance between the ps2 and DC means that method wouldnt be as useful, with the ps2 as the mem. card uses a differant slot, turning off the internally connected controller means you can still access it. However that wont be possible with the DC as turning off the internal controller means turning off the VMU.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

yah...i found a solution to it...

by internal I meant the vmu will be mounted on the inside of the console, but in such a way that you can see the screen during gameplay....
Feel it, Don't think
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

o ok than that's not so bad
wont u be my friend?