Xbox 360 only sells 58% as well as original Xbox did

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

ASCIIN wrote:mario 64 was way overatted, its basically a collect items 3d platformer with nothing really new to offer
How can you say the game that essencially invented the genre has 'nothing really new to offer'? :?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Nick wrote:Stuff like SMB, Super Smash, Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron are all solid titles
Luigis Mansion is an extended tech demo, RS2:RL and SSB:M are just sequels to existing games with slightly higher res / higher poly graphics, and some fairly minor gameplay tweaks.

So yes, 'solid' titles is a fair description. Much like the current Xbox 360 lineup.

Super Monkey Ball isn't, it was an all new game that mainlines fun, and is one of the best games of the 'last generation' on any platform. The GC being the platform of choice for it just because it has a decent analogue, but you can pick it up on a less responsive controllers console too.

It also stands the acid test of being a genuine classic in that its just as much fun to play today as it was 5 years ago, ie very.
melancholy wrote:
ASCIIN wrote:mario 64 was way overatted, its basically a collect items 3d platformer with nothing really new to offer
How can you say the game that essencially invented the genre has 'nothing really new to offer'? :?
Today, it doesn't.

It's been superceded a bunch of times, and some of its game mechanics were a bit dodgy to start with (ie cant just play through each level getting multiple stars Banjo Kazooie style, have to quit after each 'success' and start from scratch, the bowser stages kind of jar much like the 'no-waterpack' stages in sunshine do etc).

It's still a very good platformer though, it just doesn't have the cache it did when it was released where it was a genuine-bona-fide-no-questions-asked proof that the then new generation offered something new and unique to the gaming table.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Today, it doesn't.

It's been superceded a bunch of times, and some of its game mechanics were a bit dodgy to start with (ie cant just play through each level getting multiple stars Banjo Kazooie style, have to quit after each 'success' and start from scratch, the bowser stages kind of jar much like the 'no-waterpack' stages in sunshine do etc).

It's still a very good platformer though, it just doesn't have the cache it did when it was released where it was a genuine-bona-fide-no-questions-asked proof that the then new generation offered something new and unique to the gaming table.
The same can be said for 90% of the games on the market. But for him to say it offered nothing new just because he didn't play it back when it first came out would be like me saying that the original Gameboy Tetris was overhyped and offers nothing new simply because I haven't played that version.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Today, it doesn't.

The same can be said for 90% of the games on the market. But for him to say it offered nothing new just because he didn't play it back when it first came out would be like me saying that the original Gameboy Tetris was overhyped and offers nothing new simply because I haven't played that version.
GameBoy Tetris didn't offer anything new. Except, *maybe*, portability.
Super Monkey Ball isn't, it was an all new game that mainlines fun, and is one of the best games of the 'last generation' on any platform. The GC being the platform of choice for it just because it has a decent analogue, but you can pick it up on a less responsive controllers console too.
Ya know, I've never played it. I tried to buy it yesterday, as the two pack thingie, SMB1+2, was on sale for $10 at TRU, but they were already sold out. Ah well.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote:GameBoy Tetris didn't offer anything new. Except, *maybe*, portability.
Actually it offered head to head play modes that did not exist in the official version of the game.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

For those who are interested in how the Xbox360 is selling in Japan, these are the latest figures, covering December 12th to the 18th:

Code: Select all

DS      408,770
PSP      95,689
PS2      55,342
GBASP    19,098
GC       17,849
GBM      14,432
Xbox360   8,623
GBA         416
Xbox        182
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wow, the DS sales are more than every other system's sales combined.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

and the Cube doubles the xbox360 :P
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Quzar wrote:
Lartrak wrote:GameBoy Tetris didn't offer anything new. Except, *maybe*, portability.
Actually it offered head to head play modes that did not exist in the official version of the game.
But it did exist in the Tengen NES version, which I'd played (I actually remember renting it, or rather my mom renting it for me, amazingly enough) long before the GB version. I believe there were PC versions that had head to head also.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

az_bont wrote:According to this German article, Microsoft sold something between 41,817 and 62,000 units in Japan during the first two days, whilst the original Xbox sold 123,000 units during its first two days.

As Japanese stores still have plenty of stock left, it's obvious that the lack of sales are not down to a lack of supply, and confirms my initial suspicions - that Microsoft have been holding back stock to create artificial demand, and make the Xbox 360 appear more popular than it actually is.
The 360 was a concurrent launch, and the original Xbox released in japan after the US. More reviews, and more time for development of software.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....