Probs with fonts (black marks)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Probs with fonts (black marks)

Post by iggydrake »

with the help I got here, I finally got my textbox stuff working well, except
if I use any other TXF files than that ugly one I used in my demo, there's
black stuff all around the chars and they look awful.

It annoyed me so much that I wanted to just do it with tiles, like a tileset, but then there would be no way to get the pixel offsets to make the spacing between letters as they scroll correct, at least without having to go to a great deal of work, and thats not good if you plan to use many fonts.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem??
~Mal

if i told you that the next thing I say will be true, but that the last thing I said was a lie, would you believe me?
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

Some TXF files are antialiased. Make sure you're rendering on the translucent list, not the opaque list.

-Sam
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

c99koder wrote:Some TXF files are antialiased. Make sure you're rendering on the translucent list, not the opaque list.

-Sam
ya mean after this?:

Code: Select all

pvr_list_begin(PVR_LIST_TR_POLY);
thats what I did, and it still has the same effect...
~Mal

if i told you that the next thing I say will be true, but that the last thing I said was a lie, would you believe me?
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

Hmm.. are you using dcplib or parallax to render the TXFs? The antialiasing code in parallax isn't 100% compatible with plib's (dcplib doesn't support it at all I don't think, but parallax implements it in its own way). There are a bunch of sample TXF fonts in http://plib.sourceforge.net/dist/plib_e ... 8.4.tar.gz, have you tried any of those?

Also, can you take a screenshot with vid_screen_shot() or chankast?

-Sam
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

No, it was a problem with Parallax's font renderer that was corrected. For example, Pop-a-Cap uses Parallax to render TXF fonts. As a matter of fact, it was about that time that the problem was realized and fixed. So if you have a fairly recent grab of KOS and Parallax, then as long as you are rendering in the translucent list, you should be cool.
No signature.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

Well, I have KOS 1.3....I used that development ISO to set everythin up cuz
there was no way I could setup KOS from scratch; I couldn't figure it out.

I do render it to the translucent list but it still has no effect.

heres a screenshot anyway to show the problem:

http://fluffypuppystudios.com/malrourke/textprob.jpg

btw my char Skippy has funny trails behind him because I was doin' it like
Castlevania:SOTN and Castlevania DS do wit' Alucard and Soma, respectively....the shadowy trail thing. Dunno if i'll really use that, but I liked the effect so I did it for fun. (can see it if ya look really closely)

I found a ttf2txf converter website thingie, but every font I make wit' it AND any I DL all have this effect.....I cant seem to get it to work....
~Mal

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

It's not the font, it's the renderer.
I'll see if I can dig up the post someone made of the fix.
No signature.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

Tasty toastman wrote:It's not the font, it's the renderer.
I'll see if I can dig up the post someone made of the fix.
That would be great! thanks very much!! ^^!
~Mal

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

No signature.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Iggydrake, i think your engine would be more than excellent for people to make a castlevania fan sequel. Awsome work so far.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

Well, the fix worked! looks great now! YAY! Again, thanks everyone for the help! I"m finally really gittin' used ta DC games....though now, it's hard ta even go back ta PC! XD

oh, and in reply ta this:
DcSteve wrote:Iggydrake, i think your engine would be more than excellent for people to make a castlevania fan sequel. Awsome work so far.
I've already made a CV type game for PC usin' a similar engine.
Also made an engine for Final Fantasy IV that plays just like the real thing. Tho I dun have any plans yet ta port those ta dreamcast, yes indeed, this engine can work really well for somethin CV'ish. THe game i'm currently makin' is in the same ActionRPG format as SOTN and the DS one, so yah it'd be really easy.
Basically, I can make anythin', so if people want an rpg engine as well, I can do that, tho it's hard ta always git time ta work on 'em.
I still dunno if I wanna release this particular engine ta public, but if anyone wants ta work wit' me on a similar one, (Platform, RPG, actionRPG what have ya) I could do that.
~Mal

c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

I applied Jim's patch to KOS and checked it into subversion. Looks like it got lost in the shuffle :)

-Sam
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

c99koder wrote:I applied Jim's patch to KOS and checked it into subversion. Looks like it got lost in the shuffle :)

-Sam
I guess so. I could've swore it was already done though. Oh well, fuzzy memories, bleh.
When I start getting a chance to do some more dev, I'm going to do a checkout of the latest stuff and look into Tiki. That rewrite didn't take you that long did it, c99?
No signature.
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

Most of the actual game is still using KGL, since Tiki uses KGL as well. Writing the new menu system with genmenu (also in Tsunami) was pretty easy. If you have any questions feel free to join the mailing list http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/list ... dcdev-tiki or post on here and I'll see if I can answer :)

The Dreamcast port of Tiki is a little fragile, but it's mostly working. I have to figure out why sound isn't working, and I have to add keyboard support (I've done mouse and controller already). I'll probably tackle those this weekend. The Mac and win32 ports are the most mature, and the SDL port works except for sound.

Atani is working on porting the tsunami and parallax demos over to Tiki, but in the meantime there's a version of the parallax bubbles demo included.

-Sam
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

So is it relatively easy to convert things written to the KOS API over to Tiki? It might give BTime, Joggle and DCRTronic a new lease of life if I can get them running under DC, Win32 and Mac...

Is there a simple 'how to use Tiki' tutorial somewhere?
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

Tiki is essentially Parallax and Tsunami, so it's not the entire KOS API. There isn't any documentation outside of the example included with Tiki, and the information contained in the headers.

If I get some free time soon I'll try to start writing some tutorials or at least some more examples.

-Sam