Sonic Robo-Blast 2

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smurph »

Looking good! now you just need to make an NTSC one. = )
LoganGBC
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LoganGBC »

Christluu, I'm sorry to say this, but MAN, having Sonic Heros pics are out of place for SRB2
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

wow, the game kicks ass, i can't wait to play it on the DC
Feel it, Don't think
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Just out of curiosity, are these all original sprites and backgrounds, or were they ripped from various games?

This looks like a fantastic project, and I think (once I get it downloaded), I will really enjoy tinkering with it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

This is awesome! :D
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm pretty sure the sprites are original, backgrounds are probably ripped but that's okay. Also the lens flare completely ruins that cover, lens flare is an overused ugly effect and yes; the sonic heros 3D models is out of place. Last thing, the background is just a filler .. very average.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Almost all the content but the sound effects and characters are pretty much completely original. There are a couple sprites (item boxes) and a couple textures (waterfall) that were taken from the games, but, well, there you go. SRB2 does, though, in it's WAD, include a bunch of textures for future levels AND even a few textures from official Sonic games (Hidden Palace Zone, Wood Zone).

That's another problem as to why this has been a slow-going project; finding people willing to draw all these sprites and textures is not easy - sprites especially. An enemy with 4 frames of animation, at 8 directions, is 20 frames of animation total. When you consider Sonic himself has like 30 frames of animation just for one direction... that's 150 frames for one player sprite.

A lot of work has gone into SRB2. Perhaps more than is sane for a fan project of this type.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

W00t, wood zone! Sonic 2 beta! :D
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Almost all the content but the sound effects and characters are pretty much completely original. There are a couple sprites (item boxes) and a couple textures (waterfall) that were taken from the games, but, well, there you go. SRB2 does, though, in it's WAD, include a bunch of textures for future levels AND even a few textures from official Sonic games (Hidden Palace Zone, Wood Zone).
Cool. That's one of the biggest issues I've had from the start with Beats of Rage. I enjoy the game, and I love the fact that it's moddable, but I hate the fact that they ripped the sprites and backgrounds from other commercial games. It really is cool to see a fan game made with completely original artwork.

Nice work guys. The artwork really is amazing, considering that most of it is original.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

You know, Blaze, before this DC port materialized, I had no idea that either this or Mettrix were still in the works. I figured they'd both just sort of fallen by the wayside, like so many Internet projects.

Incidentally: Due to his positive reaction to so much of the Dreamcast ( http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72680 )...do you think, when and if the DC port gets straightened out and made fully functional, you might want to send a copy of the game to Yuji Naka?

Make up a nice copy with a case insert and CD label, perhaps an introductory letter stating who you are, and perhaps add a splashscreen to the beginning of that one copy of SRB2 that says something like "Dear Naka-san: One last treat for your Dreamcast from some grateful fans."

[shrug] Just an idea.
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

DaMadFiddler wrote:You know, Blaze, before this DC port materialized, I had no idea that either this or Mettrix were still in the works. I figured they'd both just sort of fallen by the wayside, like so many Internet projects.

Incidentally: Due to his positive reaction to so much of the Dreamcast ( http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72680 )...do you think, when and if the DC port gets straightened out and made fully functional, you might want to send a copy of the game to Yuji Naka?

Make up a nice copy with a case insert and CD label, perhaps an introductory letter stating who you are, and perhaps add a splashscreen to the beginning of that one copy of SRB2 that says something like "Dear Naka-san: One last treat for your Dreamcast from some grateful fans."

[shrug] Just an idea.
I doubt SSNTails would be happy with that; he used to own http://www.segasonic.net and Sega slapped him with a Cease & Desist and demanded money, before forcefully taking the domain from him (meanwhile, Shayne Thames, who used to own http://www.sonicteam.com, now recieves free Sonic games for life as payment for her domain). He's been worried about them getting him for SRB2.

Besides, getting that kind of contact info isn't easy. Even if someone besides SSNTails sent it to Yuji Naka, there is very little chance he would actually recieve the disc itself. Certain people have been trying to get Naka's contact info for the longest time, to ask him certain questions about stuff like the Sonic 2 Beta, and none of them have ever succeeded (Well, one did, but she did that by becoming a member of the Gamespy Staff, and managed to score an interview with Naka through her connections there).

A nice idea, certainly, but very difficult to pull off, I'm afraid.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

DaMadFiddler wrote:You know, Blaze, before this DC port materialized, I had no idea that either this or Mettrix were still in the works. I figured they'd both just sort of fallen by the wayside, like so many Internet projects.

[shrug] Just an idea.
Thats very nice! I support that idea... on the other hand, dont you think Yuji Naka is already aware of the project?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Thats very nice! I support that idea... on the other hand, dont you think Yuji Naka is already aware of the project?
:o What if it turns out that one of our forum regulars is him in disguise? Prince going out amongst the populace in beggar's clothes, and whatnot. He could be anyone! Big Sonic is watching... :soniccafe:
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Thats very nice! I support that idea... on the other hand, dont you think Yuji Naka is already aware of the project?
I doubt he is. Well, I doubt he was. In the aformentioned Gamespy Interview, not only did she bring up things like Sonic 2 Beta, but she mentioned that there's a huge Sonic fanbase on the internet and apparently passed on some links to (then, completely unaware such sites existed) Yuji Naka.

Depending how deep he dug, he might've found it recently (say, in the last month or so).
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Beta 4 is now out, sound and music is apparently supported. r4wk!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Yay! Hooray for sound!
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

For those of you wanting covers, I decided to do one of my own. No spine, but.. eh.

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/temp/ ... _front.jpg
http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/temp/ ... c_back.jpg

I was trying to go for a sort of... "Sonic 1 Genesis" vibe for the front. Dunno if I really like Dark Gray, but I didn't really know what else to use. The back's nice, but again, that dark gray...
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Nice covers! Looking at the back it says splitscreen modes! Are those finished? I only tried the single player mode, never thinking about the possibility of multiplayer. Now that is a feature which makes the game even better!
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

When I tried Split Screen in Beta 3, it crashed after about 30 seconds of wandering around. I haven't actually gotten around to burning beta 4 yet to see how that works.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Just played beta 4. Sound is very nice. Though this is just the SFX and not the BGM correct? This just keeps getting better and better. Multiplayer is amazing, i played it for a bit with a friend and it didnt crash on us. I dont suppose though using a BBA one would be able to play with someone using direct connection with IP? Im loving this, this is exactly what the scene has been needing for a long time. With the release of the next gen upon us soon i was getting worried about the DC scene, and my own interest. but this has sparked me back into my lovely DC collection.

BTW on a side note, I know the engine for DOOM had was major work redone, but would it be possible to perhaps use something similar to play nxdoom in multi?
*The Cadillac of signatures*