New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lunchbox »

Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

my gaming of new ends after the cube dies. I am not fallen to the hands of sony or microsoft. I am pretty satisfied with what I got, Thanks for the 20 years of gaming you gave me nintendo, I will always care about you but I am not using something that will give me carpel tunnel, Farewell nintendo.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Christ....what the f*ck, that things ugly. But the the GC controller wasnt the best looking thing either, and everybody slated it, but then I loved it. Same with the N64 controller for some people.

Hopefully some revolution games will support use of GC pads aswell if the developers want to make use of them, that'd be cool for those who are scared of that weird design.

I see how the remote could be used for playing downloaded nes games, tilt it sideways and you got the dpad on the left, and two buttons on the right :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

So I take it that none of you have played many lightgun games? It's not that tiring, unless you're standing up in the middle of the room and holding the thing out in front of you like a moron. You don't do that with normal controllers, you don't do that with mice or keyboards, and you only do that with remote controls because they're badly manufactured pieces of junk. So why would you do that with these things?
There was a time when many people thought the lightpen would be everyone's computer pointing device of choice. It was so intuitive, just touch the monitor with it. Unlike the mouse, you move it on the desk and see the result of the action somewhere else.

Why then are lightpens forgotten, and mouses in every computer out there? Because, to use a lightpen, you have to rise your arm and hold it against the screen. Sounds easy, but after a while it gets really tiresome, makes your arm ache. A mouse does not have this problem, you just rest your arm on the desk.
And what of PDAs, tablets, the Nintendo DS, and anything else that uses a pen? Granted, the aren't light pens, but surely they show that pens as an input device do work if they're implemented properly. If you wanted that on a desktop system, you would have to move the monitor. Modern LCD panels would allow you to embed the thing in the desk if you wanted to, or have it resting on the desk at a slight angle, like a drawing board. As long as that's sitting in front of you as the primary input device (which means you'd have to move the keyboard out of the way too), there would be absolutely no problems with it.

Perhaps a better lesson would be that good ideas rarely take hold until the technology is there to do them properly. And that people don't seem to like change, so would rather put up with a second best solution that they alreay have.

I think it's a good idea, but might be crippled by people (both players and developers) pointing at it and shouting "OMG it's not a normal controller! I'm scared! Where's my PS3?".
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

I don't like the placement of the power button on the controller. Other than that, I'll wait to try it before I pass judgement.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

PS3? The Boomerang? That thing is not a controller!

They will fly to the 360! :lol:
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Erm im in two minds about it, the first is thinking, oh crap Nintendo are going to burn. The second is yay, now lets hope the bring out some good games to play it with. Could you imagine a Ninja Gaiden type game with that, it would kick ass
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

All this talk of "innovation", and they hint at the possibility of rehashing NES games?

So, what else is "new"?

I don't like the path Nintendo is taking. It's almost like they've given up, and are just trying to relive old glories.

They should have reached for a niche market, like Apple, through excellence, not through quirkiness.

That controller just screams "Wario games, puzzle games, dance games, fishing games,etc. for a good action game, you'll have to look elsewhere".

It looks like one of those "virtual reality" schemes that failed colosally in the early 90s. (CDI, Pippin, 3DO, Virtual Boy, etc.)

It looks like Nintendo's engineers say at a meeting: "How can we relive the success of the NES?" and someone answers: "What if we tilt the NES controller sideways, and offer lots of NES ports?"

BANZAI!! and everybody gives themselves a raise.

Hell, even the logo looks like the japanese famicom original one.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Stormwatch wrote:Okay, boys and girls, time for a little HISTORY LESSON! blahblahblah circimcision is evil blahblahblah
I got your history lesson for you here:

1) everyone uses joysticks
2) nintendo release a d-pad
3) eveyone uses d-pads

Or how about this one?

1) everyone uses digital controls as standard
2) nintendo make analogue controls the default control option on their controller
3) everyone uses analogue as standard

It looks like the 'powerglove 2k5' I was joking about actually is what they did, they just chose to make it look like a remote control instead of like a glove or whatever. And everyone who went 'GC sux0rz because it are not teh media player like teh others be' - this is your fault.

I'll withhold full judgement until I can actually test it out, but wtf nintendo?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

So, what else is "new"?
Huh? You seriously can't see anything new here? This thing is absolutely nothing like any previous controller. About it's closest relative is the power glove, which was clumsy, way too complicated, and generally not well supported. It bears about as much resemblance to that as modern 3D games consoles do to Pong machines.

Dislike it if you want, but you have to at least recognise that this thing is really a radical departure from everything that went before.
It looks like one of those "virtual reality" schemes that failed colosally in the early 90s. (CDI, Pippin, 3DO, Virtual Boy, etc.)
Only one of those was a virtual reality thing (Virtual Boy), and it failed primarily because it wasn't very good. It gave people headaches, it was expensive, and aside from the 3D effect it didn't actually do anything. And there weren't many decent games available for it.

The others were multimedia systems, which were basically glorified CD players. They played various kinds of CD with audio and video conent, multimedia stuff, and could also play games. They weren't much good at anything really, were very expensive, and nobody actually wanted to buy them. Kind of like what Sony and Microsoft are both trying to do - a box which does everything.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'd really like to see how well this works for swordplay type stuff, and lightgun type stuff. I remember playing that one arcade game with the sword, and while very flawed, it had real potential. Imagine an online kendo game or something. Neat stuff. I also think this could work well for shooters.

However, for more traditional genres (platformers especially), I'd prefer the GCN controller be used. Here's to hoping many games allow you to use both.

One final word about getting tired - according to one article listed here, you can play fine sitting with your wrists rested on your leg. Doesn't seem like it will be an issue.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

A new dragon warrior game would be cool with this thing. If you can use it like a sword with older NES and SNES rpg's like 7th saga might be cool.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

It certainly does look different. But I'll wait till I've actually tried it before i resign the Revolution to it's death before it's even released. :roll:

The GC pad compatibility is a good idea, As not all games suit one controller. As in the "OMG the game cube pad totally sucks period. coz it's crap for 2D fighters" thing :roll:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well, Nintendo are doomed. While I will wait to draw my own conclusions about this controller, there some obvious points:

1) It will push away the entire casual gamer market, due to it looking so different and ridiculous. A good thing? No, not really. Without casual gamers sales end up ridiculously low, and Revolution will be relegated to the dusty back corner of gamestores pretty fast. Probably even worse than what happened with the Gamecube.

2) Bye bye third party support. While this may force some companies into making some innovations, when developers are deciding which console should get the next Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto etc. Revolution is just going to get left out.

3) I dont understand why Nintendo have failed to use any sort of ergonomics on that controller, they seem to have gone for a mature, sleek look on the remote part, but forgot that you are meant to play games with it.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

uhhh... now i know why you will still be able to use gamecube pads in this thing.

nintendo didn't need to wait so long before showing pictures, they certainly would have no problem with sony/microsoft stealing the design.

as much as i'm a fan of nintendo they've made a silly mistake here i think.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Im getting it, its the only consol im getting the first year it comes out. I want something fun, something wacky, I rarly get to play video games, I can play all the fun shooters on my Xbox, PS2, ALL the games I want are for those, Hell, same with dreamcast. Now this looks like it will be FUN. No wonder its called a revolution. Im Soo hyped for this, I think im gunna put the Ipod Nano I was gunna get and get this instead, well put the money twords it.
armada
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by armada »

If there was an online star wars lightsabre duel game to come out everyone would own one :rumpshaker:
ImageImage
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

hmmmm after reading the article and watching the ign video i feel slightly better and i'm intrigued to try it out... i think this will really kill of a chunk of the irritating but necessary casual gamers market, i respect nintendo for having the guts to make a gamble like this though.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

very interested, I am. I'm ultra mega super hyped.
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Matisfaction wrote:It certainly does look different. But I'll wait till I've actually tried it before i resign the Revolution to it's death before it's even released. :roll:
ditto

All these people going 'OMG Nintendo R.I.P' wtf.