Screwed up computer? (pics inside now)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Screwed up computer? (pics inside now)

Post by Caboose »

Ok, well, I am rearranging the pictures on my computer (I have lots) and whenever I go to the my pictures folder, my CPU goes all crazy and gets really hot, forcing the fans to go faster (8 bloody fans going at top speed is annoying as hell). It does this everytime, and it's starting to really piss me off. Dell did a really bad job with the XPS Gen 3 computers (air circulation wise, and other things, but mainly air circulation). There is an intake vent, but it's pretty much useless seeing as it is blocked by hard drives, so no air gets in. 2 fans for the PSU, ok, those aren't really a problem. Then there's a fan or two at the top of the case, and more along the side. There is virtually no air circulation once the computer is closed, so it gets really hot in there. Does anyone here know why simply viewing pictures and rearranging them would make my computer be like this? Also, is there anything I could do to make the CPU run cooler (I don't know the temperature of hte CPU, I can't find a good program that works with my mobo :roll: )?
Last edited by Caboose on Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Why don't you call Dell and bitch at them? I thought they offered a good warranty? I am guessing you have a Prescott P4 and those are known to get extremely hot.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Dells customer support isn't that great. I e-mailed them to ask for specs about my motherboard and they said to look in the Users guide. Well, I looked in the users guide and it told me nothing. :roll:
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

I'd say why it's going nuts is it's trying to make thumbnails of all your images.... making the CPU work it's ass off. Happened when I was running a security camera here, taking shots every second or so.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But I really, really like the thumbnails. They are cached though, so it shouldn't be a problem.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Can't you just go into the bios and check your CPU temp? Once it starts going buts, reboot and go into the bios and check the CPU temp and you can see how it's running.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

True... I'll have to do that later tonight.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

It doesn't say the temperature in the BIOS. Stupid computer. I'll post pics of the insides soon, there isn't much airflow.

Edit: opened it, but haven't taken pics yet. When you close it, there are parts blocking the whole case. There are 2 big fans, just for the processor. The processor has this enormous mteal piece on it (I think it's the heatsink) that is almost the width of the case, and the 2 fans blow the heat that comes from that. The thing is, only 1 fan does it. There's a black piece of plastic blocking the second fan from doing anything. I tried to take it off, but it's glued on.

wtf....

Ok, now I am seriously thinking about just buying a whole new mobo and case, and scrapping the current one alltogether. I'd like to avoid that, as long as it would be cheaper. Maybe I should just buy quieter fans, the two I have now are really heavy and loud.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I can't find the temp in the BIOS, and I've tried about 4 or 5 different programs. They tell me the video card temp and HD temp, but not the mobo or CPU :|
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Maybe your mobo doesn't have a CPU temp sensor?
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Probably. :roll:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

If you get a new mobo and case, can I have your old one?
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

No, I have a warranty. If something goes wrong I just move the parts to the old mobo and case, then I can get whatever I need fixed fixed.

Edit: Pics:

Open Case

The 2 fans that cool the CPU (well, only 1 of them really, the other is blocked)

2 huge fans and the giat metal thing on the CPU

Almost closed. As you can see, when it's closed, those 2 green plastic pieces block 85% of the airflow. :(
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

What's the temp read out on your motherboard/processor? My suggestion is to buy a new case and just throw it all in there.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

ROFL @ Dell cases.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Xylene wrote:ROFL @ Dell cases.
I wish you could see it in person, the pictures don't do it any just (it's a lot worse than the pictures show).
Tall Israeli wrote:What's the temp read out on your motherboard/processor? My suggestion is to buy a new case and just throw it all in there.
I can't check the temperature, I can't seem to be able to check it. The GPU is running at 47 degrees celsius (117 farenheight) "Ambient", which Ia ssume means Idle. it's going at little higher at 122 farenheight right now, and I'm only running windows media player, IRC and this browser, along with Everest Home edition. The Video card is pretty much right under the CPU (as you can see by the pics) the only thing seperating it is that green plasic that holds the fans.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

The hard driive is running at 56 degrees celsius.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

wow, those dell boys really love their green plastic

imho though, you dont need to scrap the entire thing, just get all that green junk out of there, mount at least one 80 mill fan on the cpu heatsink, and do the same for all fans, just replace them with your own, taking airflow into good acount
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I'll check that out right now to see if it's possible Dr. Freeze. I was thinking something similar yesterday :)
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I'm telling you, buy another case with ample room for fans and what-not. I had a compaq with the same problem and I replaced the case with an aftermarket one . Solved ALL my problems.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half