The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
RottenTurd
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RottenTurd »

Hey Tyne I've been watching this one for a while and you're doing an excellent job! :D I love all the innovative features you've been adding that we haven't seen in any other Quake based games.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version of TAoV, this release is a huge update to the game involving many new gameplay changes/combos/bug fixes

List of important changes
-----

- HP Bars removed, they cluttered the screen and RPG and I agreed that they removed some of the games skill
- Vigil's round house kick can now be executed mid-air, this allows for a greater comboing potential
- Diving swallow is able to be executed mid air immediately after round housing an enemy!
- Horror's look slightly different
- Map01 Updated
- Castle.bsp updated with an updated design
- Backflip has been replaced with a new double jump, backflip is only used for the diving swallow attack (off the wall and midair) and recovering from a fall
- Vigil can ledge grab and hoist himself up like in Prince of Persia / Ninja Gaiden (xbox)
- Fixed grabbing so enemies fall out of the levels very very rarely, infact I haven't seen it happen yet; but I will not rule out that possibility
- High quality stereo music! darkplaces only
- Head Smash / Fire Head Smash now knocks opponents around
- Fireball increases the combo counter again
- Speed lines look a lot better and act a lot better
- Many bugs fixed, such as the magic menu being open even though Vigil is dead, animation fixes in strange circumstances and so forth
- Camera zooming has been tweaked
- Firebeam is no longer able to do 100+ hits, it's max is 35; these 35 hits are highly damaging AND it's now able to damage Wraiths!
- Mana increase a lot slower when Vigil attacks, this makes using magic more tactical and allows mana potions to become a more useful pickup
- Hell Knights are weaker then Barons, Barons are a lot stronger now
- Vigil's charge up attack (Hold Z, Release) is finished
- Help screens have been added finally, they're almost finished but good enough to present (Shows move list and spell descriptions!)
- You now must HOLD the block button instead of constantly tapping it
- Vigil's slice special has an additional two hits during the last attack
- Lightning Storm will no longer spam the screen nearly as much with white flashes (annoying...)
- Game now starts up with a small demo

And many more changes...

Try it out everyone and tell me what you think of these updates! :D

[edit]:
1. Yes, Vigil is still skinny - wait till A) A patch comes out or B) another new version
2. I need to update an entity so RPG will not get angry with me, it may fall into either category A or B
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

DCmad wrote:3. 100MP for a Fire Beam is way too expensive. Maybe spell costs should be more balanced. For a tester like me, was hard to level up untill i could have 100MP to do a single FB. Infact, i didn't yet.
I have to agree here. I think that in general the spells are not as useful as they could or should be. This has been improved with the latest release, but there are still some things that could be done. Unfortunately, Tyne isn't willing to implement some of them.

Anyway, to address this point specifically, I reckon that in the final game the player will probably level up enough so that after the 4th level he can have enough mana to cast the firebeam spell.
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Actually, you can cast fire beam before you have 100 MP it's just their will be a short rest time with it, firebeam is his strongest spell and is able to take out a hell knight in one beam; the idea is you're suppoused to be able to fully cast it later on in the game with the resting time eliminated.

RPG I may still try to do the rest idea for mana cost idea you had, just not now - I like to put things in as I see them and then get input back but not only that I prioritize new additions over tweaks for the moment.

DCmad, it's very odd that you're encoutering that bug as I haven't seen it happen once on my machine! I'll look into it. I also agree with a few of your suggestions.

I've found a bug when you're killed while ledge grabbing it'll cause Vigil to fly to the top of the screen as he's stuck in MOVETYPE_FLY.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

Tyne wrote:Actually, you can cast fire beam before you have 100 MP it's just their will be a short rest time with it, firebeam is his strongest spell and is able to take out a hell knight in one beam; the idea is you're suppoused to be able to fully cast it later on in the game with the resting time eliminated.
That's what I meant above. I actually think it's a fairly good idea, but letting the player cast it too early in the game when the player doesn't know any better can be frustrating.
Tyne wrote:RPG I may still try to do the rest idea for mana cost idea you had
It would have saved me some frustration had you mentioned that earlier.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Uploaded a mini-fix version! it's not necessary to download it because not much is changed from the previous version it however fixes a few things that I either missed, irked me, or I liked the suitable suggestions.

- F1 shows the help screen immediately

- F9 is binded to quit

- Fixed the demo error message, it also runs through 3 demos (demo list) featuring all 3 levels with some nifty combos; yes that's me playing, and no I am not trying except in castle.bsp where I didn't get injured once ;)

- Fixed Vigil's flying when killed while grabbing onto a ledge, he'll no longer float to the top of the screen and stay there (argh)

- Updated the controls on ledge grabbing, UP climbs up, DOWN falls off, and Block falls also while blocking

- Latest version of Darkplaces is included now (Beta 3), this also fixes some odd choppyness issues with dynamic lights

It's not a patch! meaning you're going to have to redownload all 12 megs (older ver was 11.5) to get this update as I've had to update pak0.pak.. good thing there only minor changes / fixes
T045TBR0T
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by T045TBR0T »

hi there...
im new in here and have 2 short questions....say rtfm if appropriate ^^
1. how do i burn this mod for dc?
2. is there a possibility for it to work on the zodiac 2, too?
Splash Wave? PAH
It HAS to be
Magical Sound Shower
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hey can I play this on xbox? I gota modded xbox now, should be able to run it better on xbox then dreamcast?
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Xbox and Zodiac 2?
For xbox, i'd say "try it". I don't know xbox things, but i'd say you can run it from the HD. So just launch the xbox quake engine with TAoV like the pc one.
Report here you feelings about it.

For zodiac 2... what's a zodiac 2?
If there's a quake engine for it, i say "try it and report back your feelings about it".

In PC, i can run the mod with 8.8mb (using -heapsize 9000 as parameter) of heapsize. So if <insert platform here> has heapsize enough, it'll likely run TAoV fine.
Maybe there's some error with some engines, i noticed the 2 last builds don't run with JoeQuake in linux, but if it runs in winQuake with ~9mb heapsize, i think it's engine related problems, not mod fault.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

WoW
Is that a Tapwave Zodiac? Looks sexy o.O!
click to enlarge
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Man, I wish I could just release a .cdi image but I'm not planning on doing that until the mod is complete.

Time to work on the next version!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:Man, I wish I could just release a .cdi image but I'm not planning on doing that until the mod is complete.
Without NxQuake? >.<
Noooo please, leave it a pc mod until NxQuake gets released.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Well by the time TAoV is complete (I shouldn't call it a mod, it's much more then that) NxQuake *should* be released. I freaking hope anyways.
T045TBR0T
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by T045TBR0T »

DCmad wrote:WoW
Is that a Tapwave Zodiac? Looks sexy o.O!
click to enlarge
yeah thats it...and i have one :P
and it has a quake engine...enough heap memory to run doom 2.
but where do i have to put the files? thanks in advance
Splash Wave? PAH
It HAS to be
Magical Sound Shower
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Just tried it on xbox, it worked but the second level didn't load.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

The second level didn't load in the PC version.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

law56ker wrote:Just tried it on xbox, it worked but the second level didn't load.
In the 1st level, Wilderness, the portal at end of stage is actualy a trigger entity which says "changelevel map02".
It tells the engine to load map02 map mantaing the stats. But the pak \maps folder has no map02.bsp map.
The Castle stage is castle.bsp and The Dungeon stage is dungeon.bsp.
So all one can do is open the console and type manualy "changelevel castle" or "changelevel dungeon".
You can use "map" rather than "changelevel", but it resets the stats, like start a new game in given stage.

Dunno about the xbox engine, but Fragger added a cool console interface in JoyMenu for DC and i think RADquake has it too. So you don't need a DC keyboard to type commands.

In PC, to bring the console up, the key is "~" (the button right under "ESC").
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I've emailed RPG lately and apparently he's started some work on Map02 and it's coming along well according to him.
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

Tyne wrote:I've emailed RPG lately and apparently he's started some work on Map02 and it's coming along well according to him.
Map02 rocks looks really cool so far and I think you'll really like it when Tyne codes the monsters I've asked him to.

BTW, I'm pnosting druk.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Can you guys tell me what tools and tips I need to make a map I think i'd liek to try it.