The Doctor quits

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Doctor quits

Post by Hawq »

Christopher Eccleston has quit the role of Doctor Who after filming one series, saying he fears being typecast, leaving the show's title role vacant.
As the BBC confirmed it would film another series of the popular show, a number of actors have been suggested to play television's 10th Doctor.
more here a shame this one as he was a good doctor from the first ep, looked to be makin the role his own but at the same time remain true to the older ones
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I don't see how you can get typed cast after one season, but that is his choice (me thinks there is likely something else behind the scenes). Still, you get yourself another season of Billie Piper's lips.

I see there will be a season 2. Good. Hopefully there will be a seaon 3. By then we should be seeing season 1 (US was generally 2-3 years behind with the classic series).
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Robert Picardo will replace him
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

I think he planned to leave months ago even before the first episode came out.

The thing that puzzles me is he SO wanted to be the next Doctor Who and e-mailed Russell T Davies saying how much of a fan he was and how much he wanted to play The Doctor.

I have to say im disappointed I liked him as The Doctor and think he has a good comical side as well as a serious side I would have loved to see him develope the character a bit more.

I say give Richard E Grant the role, I would have also loved to seen more of Paul McGann in the role.

I don't think he was given a fair crack of the whip as the character, his only outing as The Doctor in that poorly scripted movie version. I did like the Flash toon the 'Shada' episodes, adventure he starred in though on the BBC Website.

The new series looks cool though can't wait to see the Daleks! Exteeeerrrminate! :D
Regards.

CyberMick.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

i thought he did well - especially because he provides an eccentric preformance like some of the previous doctors, so its a big blow to the bbc's plans

btw i knew i recognised Eccelston from somewhere - 28 days later
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

CyberMick wrote:I say give Richard E Grant the role, I would have also loved to seen more of Paul McGann in the role.

I don't think he was given a fair crack of the whip as the character, his only outing as The Doctor in that poorly scripted movie version. I did like the Flash toon the 'Shada' episodes, adventure he starred in though on the BBC Website.
The movie wasn't very good and didn't seem like Doctor Who until the last 15 minutes or so. Of course, since Fox put it up against the series finale of Rosanne, it's like they set it up to fail. Well, it least the series is back in the hands it belongs in. Even a bloody american can tell you that :wink: .
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

the beeb are furious because of the money lost due to merchandising and having to make a new ending
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

Theres a rumor going around that Eddie Izzard will be the new doctor...if thats the case i may have to move overseas to watch this show.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

I think he has a point, i mean name one doctor that wasn't/isn't forever Dr Who (except wurzel gummidge)

Christopher Eccleston is quite up there as a "up and coming serious actor"
(Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle's 1st?) and the Second Coming were worth watching)
it was quite a coup for the beeb to get him imo.
so hes going to move on before it sticks, well at least its back.

personally i think Russell T. Davies & he made a deal during or after the Second Coming
to offer them both to the BBC to restart Dr Who, i think he did this as a favor for Russell, his friend.
Russell T. Davies has been a fan of Dr Who since he was a kid,
and used to say he would only work for the BBC if he was making that show.
he too, is a rising star in his field (TV drama)
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

jtnewman wrote:The movie wasn't very good and didn't seem like Doctor Who until the last 15 minutes or so. Of course, since Fox put it up against the series finale of Rosanne, it's like they set it up to fail. Well, it least the series is back in the hands it belongs in. Even a bloody american can tell you that :wink: .
I agree the movie was crap but wasn't down to Paul McGann, it was down to Fox bastardising the Doctor Who francise.

Fox treated the American audience like they were idiots for example making the revelation that The Doctor was half human because they thought the American audience wouldn't accept him othewise, how insulting to the U.S audiences.

Also changing the Tardis's Chameleon Circuit to name it a cloaking device was another major flaw.

I was reading countless user comments over at IMDB.com and even the U.S viewing public agreed that Fox messed up a classic Sci-Fi series and should have let the Brits handle the movie instead.

I think Fox should have given the U.S viewing public a bit more respect as there are a lot of Who fans over in the States.

I did like Paul McGann as The Doctor and would have loved to see him in a subsequent series after the movie.

However I do like Christopher Eccleston and think he makes a good Doctor with both good sense of humour and a serious side.

I just feel he has let the fans down a bit and I don't think it would have killed him to do one more series I don't buy that typecast BS, I don't think he would have been typecast look at Peter Davidson he has been in some quite diverse roles on TV and I don't see him being typecast.
Regards.

CyberMick.