NeoGeo CD emulator testers needed

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

The default used to be japanese, but it also only used to run at 60hz (sdl automatically set it to output 50hz although internally it was running at 60hz), i have it set the way i do so that whatever other changes are made in pal are made automatically. either way there is a region selector that allows you to manually change the region to whatever you want, so there should be no problem at all for anyone, except maybe with the modchip as i dont know how that works and it may confuse KOS. in that case it should default to 60hz, which i have it do for the case of pal machines on 60hz tvs and the such anyways. if you are using a pal DC with a modchip then i guess it might run internally at 60hz, but it should still run (basically it will run just like 9.3 did, faster than it should).
Quzar, I have a PAL DC and I didn't notice any problem...

The emulator runs at 50 HZ? I ask this because the emu starts at 60 HZ...

Yours,
you shouldnt see any problems at all
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
xenon
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by xenon »

I use a "normal" PAL system, without any mod chip. As you have seen in the game tests, I haven't got any problem :D
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

Tested a few games on my PAL DC

Pulstar: Slows down a bit on big explosions but very playable - with CDDA
Kabuki Klash: Runs great - no CDDA
KoF'99: Run great (maybe too fast? Messed up loading screens) - no CDDA
Last Blade: Does not load; 'Insert CD' starts blinking unregulary (maybe bad copy?)
Last Blade2: Does not load; 'Insert CD' starts blinking unregulary (maybe bad copy?)
Twinkle Star Sprites: Slowdowns intended by game? Don't know for sure. Otherwise great -no CDDA
Blue's Jurney: seems a bit slow but playable - no CDDA
Aero Fighters: Perfect - with CDDA
Bust-A-Move: Full speed; really needs sound though - no CDDA
Metalslug 1: almost fullspeed - with CDDA
Metalslug 2: almost fullspeed - with CDDA

Thanks for the great work and I am looking forward to a version with sound :)

P.S.: Could you maybe add a screen adjust menu? My TV is f**ked up and I always see a 1cm black border on the right side and 1cm to little on the left with every game on my DC unless it has a screen adjust feature :(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

After you insert a CD and insert CD starts blinking irregularly that means it is trying to read the CD. It should get farther unless it doesnt find an ipl.txt (one of the files required to be on the disc).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

umm everything runs full speed just like neogeo cd. Do any of you people own a neogeo cd? Most pc emulators run it a little faster when playing cart games. Dont compare neocd speed to mvs carts because emulator cancel out system lag and natural hardware slowdowns.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

quzar wrote:After you insert a CD and insert CD starts blinking irregularly that means it is trying to read the CD. It should get farther unless it doesnt find an ipl.txt (one of the files required to be on the disc).
I just check the CDs, and there is a ipl.txt on them... and they also run on the PC emulator.

But on the DC I waited for about 15 minutes, but nothing happens :(

Maybe someone else has these two game too, and can check it out?
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

/OFFTOPIC
Clessy, where is the homepage of PCE-YS4 english?
/OFFTOPIC

i would like a menu like the nester one.
a combination of buttons to acess a menu.
and region select is really appreciated
cause some fanservice games like GOWCAISER just open full options on japanese neogeo cd bios.

gowcaiser still not works(b.s.o.d.)

:?
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Salamander2 wrote:/OFFTOPIC
Clessy, where is the homepage of PCE-YS4 english?
/OFFTOPIC

i would like a menu like the nester one.
a combination of buttons to acess a menu.
and region select is really appreciated
cause some fanservice games like GOWCAISER just open full options on japanese neogeo cd bios.

gowcaiser still not works(b.s.o.d.)

:?
I don't have the site book marked but just google it. Also go to rpgd or some other collective translation new site. They will have a link.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

soh valeu. eu tenho esse jogo original e o meu pcengine tava realmente precisando de algo assim. se eu tivesse tempo, traduziria para o portugues. agora soh resta esperar pelo ys3 remake da taito e eu descobrir o resto dos cds de pcengine tipo mahjong sword pra minha colecao. 143 jogos, todos em cd e contando. qualquer ajuda eh valida.

THANKS
:D
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Salamander2 wrote:...se eu tivesse tempo...
If you had the time, or if you had the know-how? :D
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Just tested it and I can clearly see improvements, the aspect ratio is now fixed and the picture quality is much better but still why not run it in true low res? It would look the best IMO.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Electroinalium wrote:Just tested it and I can clearly see improvements, the aspect ratio is now fixed and the picture quality is much better but still why not run it in true low res? It would look the best IMO.
It would look identical, except this helps to take advantage of the clarity of VGA box displays. The method it uses for stretching does not manipulate the picture to blur it, filter it or make it look any better at all. It simply quadruples the pixels. In 320x240 a sprite would make up lets say 10x10 pixels that are each 1/16th a centimeter in size on your screen, whereas in 640x480, its made up of 20x20 pixels that are each 1/32nd a centimeter in size.

Basically it just helps the pitch to be clearer, while not stretching the pixels or altering the aspect ratio or apparent sizes of the images.

A new version is on the way though, so i hope your CD-Rs arent precious as you'll be wanting to burn this one when it comes out :wink:
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

On a monitor it may look sharper in hi-res but on a TV the scanlines are stronger on low-res mode (low-res 60Hz) and it's closer to the real thing :thumbsup:

There's still plenty of free space on this multi-session disk :D
Last edited by Pyrite on Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

quzar wrote:
Electroinalium wrote:Just tested it and I can clearly see improvements, the aspect ratio is now fixed and the picture quality is much better but still why not run it in true low res? It would look the best IMO.
It would look identical, except this helps to take advantage of the clarity of VGA box displays. The method it uses for stretching does not manipulate the picture to blur it, filter it or make it look any better at all. It simply quadruples the pixels. In 320x240 a sprite would make up lets say 10x10 pixels that are each 1/16th a centimeter in size on your screen, whereas in 640x480, its made up of 20x20 pixels that are each 1/32nd a centimeter in size.

Basically it just helps the pitch to be clearer, while not stretching the pixels or altering the aspect ratio or apparent sizes of the images.

A new version is on the way though, so i hope your CD-Rs arent precious as you'll be wanting to burn this one when it comes out :wink:
I got 2 50 packs of HP CD-Rs man, I wont run out. I can't wait. I am really looking forward to this. :}
sakuragi
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sakuragi »

Maybe we are in the wait of a great moment in the dreamcast emulation scene :wink: . You are able to do all the improvements you wish Quzar ? good luck to you :kiss) , you are getting to us a real ... dream :oops: