Portable Dreamcast is NOW DONE !!!!!!!!!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MKE »

a pstwo portable has been made (there was a link to it in ot the other day)

a gc would be thick, but im sure if you aranged it right you could trim it down.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Muthafukin Carl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Muthafukin Carl »

Does that thing have an AC adapter? Are you selling it, if yes then how much? :)
Currently playing:

Sega Marine fishing
Seaman
Super Mario All-Stars
<(00<)bluepunk(>
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by <(00<)bluepunk(> »

)()( Dude my head is spining like the cd in the back of your Hand held mod. I bow down to u as this is the most extrodanary mod i have seen sense the treamcast so far you blow that out of the water i suggest try to mass produce this or sell the idea to the peaple in china were the Treamcast was made. other then THAT GREAT JOB :kiss) *non gay way*
I was stupid enough to keep putting a warez link into my sig.. even after an admin removed it.. twice... I'm such a bloody moron. Oh well.. and now i'm banned too. boo hoo.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Man, i still like this thing! How long do you think one set of those 7.2v 3000mah battery packs would last for a PSX, since your building your own portable PSOne.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

my PSone has a AC-DC converter for 7,5 volts / 3.0 amps for when it uses the lcd screen, so basicly asuming the psone with screen uses the full 3 amps, a portable based on the same hardware would run a single hour on a 3000 mah battery

i have been thinking about making a battery pack for the thing, in order to get some play when im not near a wall outlet, but the thouhgt of having 5 of those expensive battery packs (never mind having to recharge them) just doesnt go over to well with me
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

nice... What Amps did you charge them packs at??

For longer gaming, buy some 3600 packs :)

Also, that CD Drive looks dangerous :P.. I think you should make a cover for it :)

anyway, Very nice job... will you be selling the cases? Im guessing from the look of the case, its been vac formed and you should be able to produce lots of these cases fast and you could sell them to people that want to try the mod but dont have access to a Vac Former :)
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I checked outt he vac former thingy, seems applicable to build... BUT, where would i find the plastic to form?
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

Personally, I would use HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) as it is light and very strong. I just typed "High Impact Polystyrene" into Google and got this link with a list of suppliers -

http://www.applegate.co.uk/products/psa/3679.htm

Search around on google for High Impact Polystyrene :wink:
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Cool. I'll check it out, thanks. My portable PSone is on its way... Not as cool as the Portable DC, especially not in a vac formed case, but nice...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

but that is a very cool mod and i would probably pay ~200$
I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess the screen alone probably cost $100 (guesstimate based on when I was looking at LCD screens). $200 might be breaking even, at best.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Well you can get a psone screen for 50bucks inlcuding a psone from http://www.gamestop.com used however,but still not bad.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Just get a new one from ebay for 40 dollars. I am using one for my Nintendo Portable. I keep messing up motherboards, though. :D
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

zerotype wrote:Well you can get a psone screen for 50bucks inlcuding a psone from http://www.gamestop.com used however,but still not bad.
Is that the kind of screen he used?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

$50... thats how much I payed off eBay for a PSone and screen... Nice... I'll do that soon and start on my portable again... :)
dkap01
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dkap01 »

Well I've been reading a lot of the posts and theres a lot of questions asked. I'll try and answer some...

The screen I used is a sony psone screen. The reason I use this is because its thin...

The plastic I use is high impact polystyrene. Use your phone book and look under plastic.

To power my psone portable I was useing a sony camcorder battery 7.2v @ 2000 and it powered it for 1hr 45min. So if you use one of the 7.2v 3000 battery it should last about 2 1/2 hrs...

My portable Dreamcast does us a AC adaptor, so when your charging your batteries you can plug it in a play that way..

I just made a cover for the CD-rom.. Its held on with 3 magnets to give it that clean look...

Well I just updated the Dreamcast page on my site. I have pictures of it being built. So check out the new pic's....

http://portablesystems.net
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I seen a 7.2v at 9000mah... Is that good for my portable PSone... How long you think that would last? Expensive though... Was is 9000 or 6000 mah? I think they had both... Seems like a lot...
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

if his PSP runs 1,75 hr on 2000, 6000 should last for 5 hours and 15 mins, 9000 would last almost 8 hours

wow, this seems really good, i was asuming the psone + LCD used nearly all of the 3 amps provided by the adapter, but if dkap is right, it uses slightly more then one amp, wich is quite nice

i should set up my multimeter and test its current usage, problem is id need to hack one of my working PSU's

ive got some time on my hands now anyway, so ill go and see what i can find out
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

allright, ive done some measurements (without hacking my adapter open, yay for saving old cables and plugs :P)

System off power (system switched off, power connected) : 0,18 A (so if you do make a portable, make sure to make a real power switch, disconnecting the battery, or else it will leak and slowly go empty)

System on:
Soul Blade:
- peek: 1,35 A
- Normal play 1,05 A

Wip3out:
-peek: 1,40 A
-normal play: 1,05 A

Medal of honor:
peek: 1,45 A
normal play: between 1,05 and 1,2 A depending on whats happening on screen

i tested multiple games, since some games need more power then others, but it seems quite clear that a psone + LCD combo uses about 1,1 A for normal play, the peek currents were measured for only a few seconds during loading or starting up, and i dont think they will have a real impact on battery life

do note however that i had the screen brightness at 50% setting it to 100% in Soul Blade made it use 0,20 A more, this will have a noticable impact on battery life i think, volume was also set at 50%, all test were done with 1 controller, and 1 memory card in the system, i also tested SB without Mem card, but i dont think it has any impact on power usage

this test puts a new perspective on things for me, i might restart my research into the whole thing, im not looking for a real handheld, more a battery powered portable, laptop style, but before adding a battery pack seemed pointless due to the high current, but since it actually uses only 30% of the max power of the adapter, it might be easy to make it work the way i want to, for longer periods of time

i hope this litle test helped you guys out too, it should give you some insight into the power requirements of a PSone+screen
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

50 FOR BOTH! Im In!

Anyone ordered one from gamestop? How long did it take? Were they in working order?

Hey dkap01, how much for a case? Im serious.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Well, i'll get the $10 more 9000 mah, then the 6000 mah battery... Wait, i'm not sur ehow much bigger the battery is though... I'll figure it out... the 6000 mah should be enough... I need to see what my RC car battery already has... it may be enough, i dunno...
My battery runs 9.6v, actually 11.5, at 700 mah ont he battery label, not sure eXACLT what it does put out... 700 mah is crap... Good enough to test as i build, but uh... no.
Hey Dark Savant! you got an extra LCD, or spare motherboard from one with a cracked or broken LCD screen? I jst need the motherboard from a PSone LCD, i still have a working LCD screen itself, not the baord... Ohh, how much power does the LCD cathode backlight use? I bet if you removed that for soem white LEDs, you'd save a crap load of amps...