The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:DCMad: That Village looks nice :o Hey how about after you're done with your levels you can send 'em to me so I can add some final touchs?
Firstly, sorry for not being active this days, my pc's power suply is getin' on my nerves.
But i'll send you the *.rmf or *.map whenever you want. But nly the castla map is a bit presentable, the village is too slow, a house per day and i'm kinda lost on my ideas :(

* Out to test your new build *

TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Fully graphical menus... Nice :)

I was thinking very seriously about doing that for codename at one point. Or at very least putting 2d backgrounds that the centerprinted text could align with and overlay. I actually started adding the 2d background code to the engine. (basicly hijacked and edited console background code) I got to the point where it would change backgrounds as you changed 'pages' of the mockup menu. Then I pretty much stopped coding all together. :(

I'm sure your screenshot doesnt do the TAoV menu complete justice.

I'm also very curious how "battle mode" is going to be done. Is it really going to support 2 players? (on screen vs eachother in real time) Will one player be controlled witht he controller and the second controlled by the keyboard? Will it give engine coders a reason to (finally?) add support for a second controller?

Questions questions questions....?
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

TDA :D wrote:Will it give engine coders a reason to (finally?) add support for a second controller?
It is possible to hack a second controller in with only a few changes, but to do it in the right way would take months of work. I did some research once, and found too many things that would have to be taken into consideration.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

You'll find out in good sweet time. ;)

Ok I uploaded a new version but not much has changed, just the menu is fully completed and is included. I released this because several people wanted to see the new menu since I finished it - plus a menu like this is completely new to quake (and wasn't hard to do except for fine tuning the graphics... 2 hours of doing that - ugh!). I also tweaked the combo congrats messages.

Oh, one important change to note is that Vigil's stats are kept between levels now. So doing "changelevel" (not "map"!!) from castle.bsp to map01 will keep whatever stats you had.

I'm going to be rebalancing the lightning bolt spell once more, I don't like how it can do 145 hits and actually deal the same amount of damage (Lightning does 1 HP per strike).

Experience system should be in also! This may mean rebalancing a lot of ingame stuff also...
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New gameplay feature will be included in the next release! Wall Grabbing will allow for cooler verticle levels, new attacks, and advance gameplay features - now you can climb walls ninja gaiden 1 style! It controls tops notch also, just jump at a wall while holding the direction and Vigil will shove his sword into the wall while slowly descending; sparks from the sword will fly upwards too and a cool "sliding down the wall" sound will be played.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Downloaded it, but the menu is the same "press atack to begin"...

[EDIT]
Ok, forget it. Just delete start.bsp (the old screen) and rename menu.bsp (new screen) to start.bsp. It should work.
Also, i woud sugest you to include some cvars in you autoexec.cfg, i have to do it myself every release, and would be good if other have them too.
r_maxedges 4000
r_maxsurfs 4000

And the mpot.mdl & hpot.mdl, try to open the in qME and just enable the rotate flag, this gives that rotate effects to the items ;)
[EDIT2]
Before, i just entered map menu in the console and it worked fine.
But now that i changed it to start.bsp, i have no controlls in the menu. Arrow key don't work, and no other key but "~", the function keys and Esc. Possibly a binding problem?
Also the messages sv_startsound: music\track2.wav not precached when the start.bsp loads and sv_startsound: misc\title.wav not precached everytime i press atack, but the music plays fine.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

The "Press Attack to Begin" title screen brings you to menu.bsp DCMad... you just messed it up :P, rename it back to menu.bsp and it should work properly and put back start.bsp!

and I don't want rotating items, I think they look silly in TAoV's case where it's 2D gameplay.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Why don't you use a single map for the start screen and the menu? Using separated maps for each thing adds unnecessary load times in the Dreamcast.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

There's hardly any loading times between the two maps so that doesn't count, it's about a second or less. I also like keeping the menu code away from the title screen code as it's cleaner and easier to work with, not to mention each level has it's own music (there isn't any dynamic music like Envenom). That's why. =p
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Sorry for the mistake, Tyne. Now it works well.
I would sugest you to prevent the game of starting the demo. Think, when you load it, it goes to the 'press atack to begin' and if you wait a moment, the demo starts, precedeed by the intro.bsp. Like comercial games do. And you doesn't need to see the old quake menu to start a new game :)

:( :(

And it was using the cvars Fragger taught me...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Yep, the death bug is in that version. It's impossible to get it now in the version with wall jumping I'm developing right now simply because health is now given to Vigil on his walking/standing frames instead of his "getting up" animation, I also realized I did a couple of stupid mistakes which are now fixed for the death bug. :P

Edit: Seems the new version is perfectly flawless, no bugs that I've been able to find or reproduce. Vigil now climbs stairs correctly (or a lot better atleast), and he descends stairs properly as well. The release will be pretty sweet!

More effects, and the wall jump kick is shown here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

WOW!
The Knight Vigil is becoming the Ninja Vigil :D
Great Tyne.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New Version Released ...!

What's new? .. More like, what isn't new! :)

- Vigil is now able to latch onto flat walls and either do a fast jump kick off or jump higher in the opposite direction allowing for verticle tunnel jumping like Ninja Gaiden.
- Lightning Storm has been rebalanced once more.
- New special effects! Slow motion has been added (doesn't interfere with gameplay, untested on Dreamcast), and 3D shadow trails to certain moves, particle effects.
- RPG Stats, leveling up is now included in the gameplay. Leveling up increases Vigil's health and mana.
- Death bug has been eliminated, I've tested it over a jagillion times and I could not reproduce it.
- "Tweaked" 2D sprites and some graphics/animation.
- Gameplay Demo is no longer ran and boots directly to the title screen, however you can still load it up manually.
- Vigil's starting health have been altered down to 75 in order to work better with the leveling up system.
- Mana is now capped according to your level!
- New additional sound effects and animations.
- Vigil can now properly descend stairs without "twitching", climbing stairs has been drastically improved but does the odd animation twitch rarely.
- Monsters now wake up when attacked with a spell if they hadn't noticed you before-hand.
- Due to additional movement code to help Vigil climb stairs properly he now also begins to slow down near ledges, I'm kinda fond of it since it will help prevent you from falling down a pit (when they're added).

Most likely there's a few other changes/fixes/tweaks here undocumented, this version really changes the gameplay. Please give me input on the RPG Stats and new implemented features.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I miei complimenti Tyne. Sono molto felice con la vostra modifica.

I think I might try to continue Ghostbusters Quake if I have the time....either that or work on Firearms which Christian stopped making (I have the source :twisted: ).
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Nice work Tyne, ive updated the mirror page at dcemu uk and it will be posted at all the main dc sites asap.
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

awesome work!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

For the little i played, it's flawless. You did it Tyne.
The stairs movements are great now, i think it can't get any better.
Do you plan to use those blue shadows on any more move? It would kick serious a$$ in the Vigil Destroyer.
And what about the Wall Grab Jump, it wouldn't make you go higher?
Last, can you explain a bit more of you leveling up system? Does each enemy gives a bit of EXP? How many EXP is needed for the first level up?
Do you still plan to add that power up we talked way back?

You are right, this build has the best playability from all of them :D
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:For the little i played, it's flawless. You did it Tyne.
The stairs movements are great now, i think it can't get any better.
Do you plan to use those blue shadows on any more move? It would kick serious a$$ in the Vigil Destroyer.
And what about the Wall Grab Jump, it wouldn't make you go higher?
Last, can you explain a bit more of you leveling up system? Does each enemy gives a bit of EXP? How many EXP is needed for the first level up?
Do you still plan to add that power up we talked way back?

You are right, this build has the best playability from all of them :D
Blue shadow effects can be used anywhere on Vigil, I may add it to other moves but I haven't decided which ones yet, I'll try it on Vigil Destroyer and see how it looks.

Wall Grab Jump DOES make you go higher but I think it could use a little bit more tweaking (more up velocity along with distance).

After killing an enemy they give you a bit of EXP, Here's the leveling up formula:
NextLevelExp = vigils level + 18 * vigils level;
Every time you level up your experience is reset back to 0 and you must bring it back up to reach the next level, it works swell.

I'm not sure if the powerup can be easily added into the game due to having already coded most of Vigil's animation timing and more.. but we'll see, I'll give it an attempt.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

just tried the latest version on Dreamcast, it crashes on menu.bsp. I'm guessing Dreamcast doesn't like certain sprite sizes with odd dimensions so I'm making the dimensions standard multiples of 2; hopefully this will fix it.

:\
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Funy you said it just now, yesterday i burned my multigame disc to a ms cd to test the stability of the mods on RADquake Finito.
TAoV don't works, as you say. It goes to the meshing screen and displays a lot of errors ans there's no way of go to console to use the map command.

Also, Codename Envenom sufers a lot by the bad resolution, bad animations and the bad camera. It looks lika a slide show.
I must say i'm very afraid to release the compilation disc now, cause i want to bring people's atention to quake moding and its freedom. But RADquake prevents one to like it. It's so ugly :(
I need a poll to decide if i must release it or not...