Console games & the older you get....

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Console games & the older you get....

Post by Storminator16 »

Does anyone feel the same way I do: the older I get, the more I'm starting to despise console games. One, I'm sorry.....there are too many consoles out there. Two, PC games are more robust because you can add sweet mods to them to change the way you play them...a simple download away!

Anyone else getting up to their late 20's and beyond feel the same way?
Last edited by Storminator16 on Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I seem to be going back to my older games collection a lot, coz it was better in them days, Doh

Ive developed a hatred for Halo (when TS2 is much better) and Splinter Cell (my mate thinks its the best game ever :roll:) and well most stuff coz its all graphics over gameplay these days, People fall for it and it really pisses me off

Altho i love the Winning Eleven series :D but if it wasnt for that game i wouldnt have a PS2 at all
and i love gamecube (why did i sell you?)

So yeah kinda.

asfor PC games: i have a mac so...........
Last edited by Matisfaction on Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

Console games have never been as good as PC games (ok, maybe 'never' is a harsh term, but I think you know what I mean). PC still (and always will) lead technology. Sure, consoles are getting more advanced...in fact, they're practically turning into PCs (just look at the specs of the upcoming Xbox2 or Playstation 3), but PCs are always a step ahead. Add to that the fact that a mouse and keyboard combo will cost extra for any console (and usually suck anyway --if the option even exists), you're better off with a PC.

Having said that, I still enjoy some console games. Big screen is the main bonus. When they come out with 36" monitors, I'll be playing everything at my PC (and going blind). :D
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I am only 15 and I am hating console gaming just the cost,lack of no mods for em;,lack of buying new console(S) every few years.I'd rather just upgrade my comp every few years and nto worry about which console to buy.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

it's human nature :!:

same thing works for music... you like what you're familiar with!

i'm turning into a "classic" gamer for our generation -- 16bit/32bit/64bit.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

djray wrote:it's human nature :!:

Classic is really 16-bit and back.....
Callign n64 "retro" and psx "retr": is a joke.
DYTDMFBSB?
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Until I can get games like the new Ninja Gaiden for PCs, I'll contninue to use consoles.

PCs are too heavy on RPGs and FPSs for my taste.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

F8 wrote:Console games have never been as good as PC games (ok, maybe 'never' is a harsh term, but I think you know what I mean). PC still (and always will) lead technology. Sure, consoles are getting more advanced...in fact, they're practically turning into PCs (just look at the specs of the upcoming Xbox2 or Playstation 3), but PCs are always a step ahead. Add to that the fact that a mouse and keyboard combo will cost extra for any console (and usually suck anyway --if the option even exists), you're better off with a PC.

Having said that, I still enjoy some console games. Big screen is the main bonus. When they come out with 36" monitors, I'll be playing everything at my PC (and going blind). :D
Or you could just use tv-out :-p.Want super high quality get an hdtv with those direct monitor plug-ins and go happy.
DYTDMFBSB?
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I dunno. I've always kinda straddled the fence between console gaming and PC gaming. It seems to me that when the PC market is in a slump, the console market is thriving...and vice versa. Right now I'm chillin' on the PC side. For a while it seemed like the only games that were coming out for PC were RTS games...and I HATE those with a passion (played waaaay too much WC and WC2 back in the day). But with the more recent crop of decent FPS...FarCry, Painkiller (I don't care what anybody says...this game is fun as hell), and UT2004, I've been glued to my PC. I'll probably move back to consoles for a while after I pick up copies of Mario Tennis, and GT4...but 'til then...I'm on the PC side of the fence. I play whatever seems fun...no matter what format it's on.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

zerotype wrote:

i said for our generation... 16/32/64 is going to be "classic" for our generation... the new generation is everything 128 and up... that's what the kids are playing nowadays anyway... and that's how i see it.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I've always hated PC gaming. To many damn gerenic fps and lame ass stadigy games that people calm as rpgs. If its not ATB ot turn based its not a rpg.
Wait i take that back I hate american PC gaming. I got tons of Japanese and Korean PC games and they play with all the charm of a console game. Falcom is a great PC game company for example.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

djray wrote:
zerotype wrote:

i said for our generation... 16/32/64 is going to be "classic" for our generation... the new generation is everything 128 and up... that's what the kids are playing nowadays anyway... and that's how i see it.
Well it wont be classic it simpyl can not be it will be like gen2 games not classic though (some how a name will be given to it but it sure as hell wont be classic).
DYTDMFBSB?
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

Sorrie wrote:I've always hated PC gaming. To many damn gerenic fps and lame ass stadigy games that people calm as rpgs. If its not ATB ot turn based its not a rpg.
Wait i take that back I hate american PC gaming. I got tons of Japanese and Korean PC games and they play with all the charm of a console game. Falcom is a great PC game company for example.
amen! i hate PC gaming... PCs are meant to develop things, not to play games IMO...

and zerotype that's why i said "classic for our generation"... i haven't thought of a better term yet :wink:
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I've always prefered console games. Problems i've had in the past when running or installing games on my PC has left a sour taste in my mouth, but the modding communities are nice. The only games I like on the PC are CS and UT anyways
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Sorrie wrote:If its not ATB ot turn based its not a rpg.
Have you ever done any real role playing? :roll: I found this at rpgamer.com. The entire article is HERE
Another RPG misconception is the whole aeons and aeons of menus thing. It is not an RPG fundamental to have menu-based combat. It just so happened that menu-based combats were used because they fit well with the "round-by-round" format of tabletop RPGs. Active Time Battle is not especially necessary to be a "good" RPG. Indeed, ATB is almost more illogical than round-by-round, for reasons I don't care to touch on now.
I believe it was a book called Heroic Worlds (a RPGer's buyers' guide) that deemed a RPG "quantified interactive storytelling". All characters in the game have statistics which are represented in numbers, or quantified. The Player Characters (i.e.: characters controlled by a human player) interacted with their surroundings as vessels in the fantasy world. The game's Referee (at this point I request console players to bear with me, I'm sure this is an alien concept for you) creates a (not necessarily) simple background scenario to give the players a reason for performing dangerous acts of heroism (which in "heroic" fantasy, consists of going into monsters' lairs, killing them, and stealing their treasure). Creating a simple background scenario keeps the Referee from having a well-thought out story become ruined by the Player Characte! rs' whims, since, in a true RPG, players have autonomic control over their characters, unless the characters are charmed or under some other duress. And not even the most imaginative Referee is prepared for every contingency. These, and only these, are the necessary elements for a Role-playing Game.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: Console games & the older you get....

Post by navi »

Storminator16 wrote:Does anyone feel the same way I do: the older I get, the more I'm starting to despise console games. One, I'm sorry.....there are too many consoles out there. Two, PC games are more robust because you can add sweet mods to them to change the way you play them...a simple download away!

Anyone else getting up to their late 20's and beyond feel the same way?
I've been starting to feel the same way. At first i contributed it to the fact taht when i was 12 i had a seizure and the doctor told me as a result of it i would get less sleep at night, wake up exhasuted and not be able to concentrate and enjoy the things i use to.

In short it takes me about 2 months to read a book. I can only read a page at a time because i loose my concentration even if i try to stay with it my mind just can't focus.

Back on topic. Recently some of the newer video games couldn't keep my interest, I didn't want it to be a result of what happened when i was younger. anyways... the new games and consoles really don't hold my attention at all. I find myself going back to the older games my old NES, my Atari 2600, my old GameBoy Color, GameGear and even Neo Geo Pocket.

I guess all I can say is, they just don't make Video Games like they use to. :?
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Vlad Tepes wrote:
Sorrie wrote:If its not ATB ot turn based its not a rpg.
Have you ever done any real role playing? :roll: I found this at rpgamer.com. The entire article is HERE
Wow Vlad i was just about to submit that Article :lol:
Great minds think alike 8-)
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

im like that, i would rather play the saturn/snes/gens/nes/atari 7800 then the ps2, gamecube, xbox (that's the only reason i have an xbox is for the emulation and a few games)

and even my little brother ( 10 last month) plays more saturn/n64 and before then he does ps2, gc, and xbox (actually more like saturn and before but he still plays n64 a little for 1080, mario 64, dk64, fzerox, excitebike64, etc,etc,etc)

it's kinda fun when you can sit down and play a game with your 10 year old brother who has grown up with the new technology but still would rather play virtua fighter 2, sonic, or mario games then he does any other games.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

ive never been a huge PC gaming fan. then again, my comp is prone to crapping out. the number of times ive had to reinstall my os might be in the triple digits....

as for console gaming, i think that the older systems will always have a fanbase. nostalgia is not to be underrated. myself i keep going back to the older games like on the nes, genesis and sega cd. back when games didnt mollycoddle you, and creativity was high. games were a lot tougher back then too...
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

I like old PC games like the old school quest for glory and kings knight, zeliard and more. I believe PC gaming starting to really suck after 1995. PC games are consistant FPSes now I do like them but come on! I like NES and SNES gaming the best though, I remember playing Gradius III while drinking crystal pepsi......... I miss them days.