The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Some of the maps could have secret entrances and items, just secrets based in the storyline. High ledges and obscure doors and alcoves. A lot of points in the maps where there could be theses neat things.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Gokuma wrote:At the part of map01 where you can get in the background there's also a high up ledge up close in the foreground you can jump onto. Seems like there should be a secret there but apparently there's nothing there right now.
Congrats, you found the bug I was talking about earlier in the thread. Map01 is just a test map basically, map01ag is gonna be the new map01 very shortly..
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Gokuma
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Gokuma »

I can just plain jump on there without doing the sword thrust.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

I just played the newer version and i must say the colision is better, not perfect, but better each update, wich is a good thing.
I found the use for Ice Field, apart from it not being so beauty on winquake, it's great for ambushes. You cast it from a distance, and lure those damn dogs to it, even the barons fall in it :)
The sounds in the spells are good too.
Can't wait for the new background musics.
It's a good thing to have those items to pick up. I presume Tyne'll add some sound in this action. And the bottle could be animating/spinning before you grab it?
And can it have another kind of items to get? Not only Magic Bottles, maybe some HP restoring items.
The 1HP bug still's there :(
But the Spin Atack seems not to be so baron killer ;)

@Tyne: What's called the mpot's entity? and how to add those knights who jump from the ledge?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Uploaded another new version
What's new in this release? Tons of stuff!

- New special effects such as screen flashes to show huge damage being delt, also new dust sprites (which the sprite will be improved)!
- Many animation tweaks, much better Dreamcast compatibility it even binds the proper DC controls at start up!
- New enemy! Hell Knight, he's not finished since he'll have a lot of attacks but he's pretty mean for having only 1 attack.
- Ice Field has an additional windy sound to it, so the spell is now 100% complete.
- Fixed the death bug causing monsters to not notice Vigil, this was being caused by spin attacking with 10 health or less; this bug is completely eliminated.
- Vigil now can perform his running dash attack! It's very useful but requires some timing.
- Animation dealing with low framerates has been fixed, this is a big deal on the Dreamcast because when I tested it Vigil's moves were being pulled off way to slowly and was messing up a lot of stuff.
- Changed the behavior of some of Vigil's attacks, the most noticable is Uppercut Slice as it moves him more in the air.
- New item, health potions.
- Items you can pick up now display a message and play a sound.
- Collision detection is now completely and utterly fixed and finished. You will no longer have enemies hitting you from long distances even if you're not in their attack radius.
- Updated map01, completely removed and replaced the older map01 - It's no longer featured in any releases.
- Replaced map01's music, it's a lot better in my opinion because it's more atmospheric and less midi sounding.

There's more changes also, but I don't write them down as I code em.. I just use my memory.
DCmad wrote:I just played the newer version and i must say the colision is better, not perfect, but better each update, wich is a good thing.
Thanks, it's now perfect - I dare you to try and find something wrong with it. ;)
I found the use for Ice Field, apart from it not being so beauty on winquake, it's great for ambushes. You cast it from a distance, and lure those damn dogs to it, even the barons fall in it :)
Yeah it's a trap type spell, it's not good to rush into a place full of monsters and cast it right infront of them because they'll knock you out of it.
The sounds in the spells are good too.
I agree, charge.wav being my favorite.
Can't wait for the new background musics.
Download the latest version! All the music is being composed by Bl1tz from #terrafusion, he helped with a few sounds too.
It's a good thing to have those items to pick up. I presume Tyne'll add some sound in this action. And the bottle could be animating/spinning before you grab it?
Sound has been added, enjoy. I'll make 'em spin slowly on the ground next update, good idea. :)
And can it have another kind of items to get? Not only Magic Bottles, maybe some HP restoring items.
Done!
The 1HP bug still's there :(
Not anymore ;)
But the Spin Atack seems not to be so baron killer ;)
It's still in the process of being tweaked.
@Tyne: What's called the mpot's entity? and how to add those knights who jump from the ledge?
item_mana, item_health. They default to giving you +25 health and +25 mana, the mapper is able to change this by adding "cnt" and giving it a value of whatever.

For monsters jumping off of stuff, use trigger_push. You can also do some other complicated things such as having a trigger_once, or trigger_multiple that tells the trigger_push to turn on, even with time delays!

Mappers are now able to mess with the AI of monsters a bit, and make 'em wake up by triggers also. I'll be documenting this all soon so that'll help ya out.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Nice one! The hit detection seems to be perfect!
WOW! Hellknights are tougher than Barons, and both fit perfectly with everything. The music is great too.
I liked the running slash a lot, and the itens are cooler with sounds.
Sadly, a new bug: Enemies who stay stand when toy kill them, as if they don't have the death animations.
I hope you liked my new map, as i'll upload a new version after i play a bit with the trigger things. Lets hope i go well with it :)
Also, let me thank you again for suporting me with all the info you gave me. I realy liked this maping thing. I have some crazy ideas that i don't know if i have to share, maybe later i PM you...

EDIT: Knights, knights, these guys don't perform the death animation. You kill them and they stay up, frozen.
Lets see if i understood. Put in a trigger_push entity with a target = knight. And any monster_knight with the name = knight will be activated and move when vigil touchs the trigger? And they will be stoped untill i activate the trigger eh?
SSJKarma
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SSJKarma »

Hmmmmmm...
been a long while since i came here...
too bad my DC starts to crash...
i'll download this for i like BEAT EM UPS...
but i must say that reguardless of how you will dot he graphics it will always looks bad for the quake engine is too squarified.
oh well by the screenshots the graphics seems good enough and by the way you all speak the rest really makes up for it, so i'll just download it and try it !

keep up the good work guys !
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

SSJKarma wrote:...but i must say that reguardless of how you will dot he graphics it will always looks bad for the quake engine is too squarified.
Hehe, just wait till nxquake comes out and see what frame interpolation means... Poligon count won't increase, but for sure, they move way too better ;)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Sadly, a new bug: Enemies who stay stand when you kill them, as if they don't have the death animations.

EDIT: Knights, knights, these guys don't perform the death animation. You kill them and they stay up, frozen.
Lets see if i understood. Put in a trigger_push entity with a target = knight. And any monster_knight with the name = knight will be activated and move when vigil touchs the trigger? And they will be stoped untill i activate the trigger eh?
Yeah I saw that animation bug, whoops. I switched the Knight.mdl over to Joymenu's because the original Quake knight.mdl has some tiny problems with it and Fragger encouraged me to use his, I've fixed that bug since.

Give the monster_knight in your map a "targetname" such as "t1", then have the trigger_once, or trigger_multiple (depends on which you want to use, both work the same though except trigger_once only works once obviously) have a "target" "t1". Also if you give the trigger_push a target of t1 and a spawn flag of 2 then it'll start off deactivated (if it's activated monsters will automatically jump at the start of the map which you most likely do not want) until the player touches the trigger.

The entity you want to mess with "Targetname t1", the trigger you want to set the entity off with "Target t1". Obviously you can change t1 to whatever you want. If multiple monsters/entities have the same targetname they'll all be set off!

I hope this helps.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi wrote:I've tried the mod with RAdquake 4.3 (since it the last with modmenu) and it ran fine. The speed was even good enough for the 640x480 resolution. I should install linux again and try to compile radquake final with a 640x480 resolution.
I tested it on Dreamcast and it requires some work to get working properly, the speed is good in the old map01 but try running it in the latest one... I've gotten as low as 11 FPS! The problem right now is that since the framerate goes so low that it starts messing up animation timing on Vigil's attacks, it takes longer do to the 3rd attack in Vigil Slice Special for example. I have two options to fix this:

A) Cut out animation, which sucks but it's easier to do
B) Add a form of frame skipping to Vigil and other enemies who use fast animation. I'm gonna attempt this and Frika's already explained how to do this, it's gonna take a bit of time however!

*sigh*
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

I was messing with it a bit this morning, and I fell out of the map by the big rock at the bottom of the screen at the beginning of the stage. It was kinda wierd. :)
Tis my sig.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Which rock specifically? A screenshot would be nice. It may be an error in the map itself.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Frame skipping added, works well! Making it completely compatible on Dreamcast now with *zero problems* whatsoever. Obviously I'm really happy about that, when the framerate is high the animation will be smoother .. if you're playing on a fast enough PC then the animation will always be smooth on Vigil and such - a good compromise instead of removing animation completely and having to reprogram some of Vigil's attacks.

A new version with the fixes will be released after I add the Beam Shot spell.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Tyne wrote:Which rock specifically? A screenshot would be nice. It may be an error in the map itself.
I took a screenie of where it happened, but I couldn't repeat the bug. I was standing about this place in the pic when I somehow fell out of the map.
Tis my sig.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Thanks, that's a tree stump by the way.
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

Excalibur007 wrote:I took a screenie of where it happened, but I couldn't repeat the bug. I was standing about this place in the pic when I somehow fell out of the map.
I checked the map in the game and the editor, but I couldn't reproduce the bug or see why it happened. There is a cutnodeportals error in hull 0, but that shouldn't affect either of the clipping hulls.

But I did find another clipping bug while I was testing this, and I'm trying to fix it.

Also, I'm working on improving performance of map01 in the slow spots. We'll see how it goes.
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

The world polygon count has decreased by about 20-40% in the trouble spots. Before, some areas would have r_speeds up to about 950, but now they never go above 700. I'm not sure what the framerate is like on the Dreamcast, but the r_speeds now are pretty close to what they were in some of the original Quake levels. Also, the map's filesize decreased by about 220kb, so that might help load times.
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Uploaded a new version!
What's new?

- New Title Screen music done by Bl1tz!
- New move added to Vigil! He is now able to perform a backflip.
- Lightning spell has been tweaked, more balanced damage, and it also causes monsters to raise up in the air each time the lightning hits.
- Lots of recoding of stuff, mostly damage physics. Now when you kill an enemy with the dash attack (Upperslice) or the running attack and kill a monster they'll fly in the air instead of just falling over dead.
- Updated maps: Map01, and the introduction screen where the story of the game is explained.
- Many bugs fixed, for example; in the previous version the wind tunnel sound from Quake was being played when the Hell Knight jumped from the cliff to fight you, it now plays the correct sound.
- Fixed a bug where monsters weren't noticing you if you were too close to them, this was noticable after you died infront of them and they'd only notice you if you ran or if you walked away from them.
- Animation frame skipping! This makes it completely playable on Dreamcast so give it a try!!
- Higher framerates due to optimizatons of Map01, mostly noticable on Dreamcast or low end PCs without a good video card.
- Tweaked the Uppercut Slice, it's now back to the way it was before - I changed it back because it was too hard to chain it into an air combo because Vigil moved too far over.
- You'll no longer hear Vigil's voice overlap, it was just inhuman before. :)

Lotsa little changes here and there also that I'm not gonna bother mentioning

I love this latest version, infact |/| !
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

It's better indeed. Could be good if you can acomplish Moi's idea on Evenom preview's topic of a dreamcast 1. The Spin Atack is turbo speed on pc, But i think it's great on dc.
I tryed open the mpot.mdl and hpot.mdl on qME and just added a rotate flag, it gave the spinning effect on items :)
The more tweaks you do, the more it's becoming great. It's very adictive to air combo enemies and the backflip move is good too. It's easyer to air launch enemies, good. And the 3rd hit of the Vigil Slice Special hits better now.
I was thinking, and if when the HP is low enough, Vigil goes in berserk mode? More speed, more damage, a red glow in his body... It could use the mentioned dreamcast 1 variable. Like if self.health <= 15 { self.berserk = true }. I'm not inside quakeC, but hope you understand it. Or just ignore if it is way too time consuming to implement ;)

A quick note for readers: The command for backflip is Jump twice, it's a aerial move.
I'll keep playin'...
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

holy smokes, more releases :)

any chance of a link to this release and ill mirror it :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.