The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

Excalibur007 wrote:This is gonna sound real dumb, but I have NO experience with Quake. How do you use this mod? I tried making a pak file, but that didn't work. I tried placing all the files in the ID1 folder and that didn't work either.

(don't laugh)... :lol:
Okay download the mod and extract it to your quake directory WITH paths! So progs.dat and such should be in /quake/medieval/<progs.dat here>

Next, you need to add an additional command line parameter when you run Quake.

without quotes:
"<quakeengine>.exe -game Medieval"

booyah, the mod is running. ;)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

hehehe, i'm so lazy. I just shift+click on the link in this post (refresh the cached files) and choose open with winrar. select Medieval folder and extract to folder D:\quake :)
I made a shortcut to each mod i have, the TAoV has winquake -game Medieval as target. Oh, i run winquake on win2k eh.
BTW, the 3rd TAoV download today ;)
Thanks Tyne.

EDIT: d/led and played a little, pure joy.
The lightning spell is a good help, and the fireball needs technics to be well used. Both are wonderful.
Please Tyne, try to implement runing to vigil, the mod would be more dynamic if he could run and make some sort of runing atack.
You made great progress in so few days. This is getting better each update :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:d/led and played a little, pure joy.
The lightning spell is a good help, and the fireball needs technics to be well used. Both are wonderful.
Please Tyne, try to implement runing to vigil, the mod would be more dynamic if he could run and make some sort of runing atack.
You made great progress in so few days. This is getting better each update :)
Yep, I love the spells myself especially the way the fireball homes in. I fixed the lightning spell a bit, the lightning trail the bolts left behind weren't following correctly and were stuck on 1 frame of animation.. and I also made the lightning orbs spawn way higher; looks cooler now.

I'll work on running with a running attack, I'm thinking the running attack will just be him swinging his sword and whoever gets caught in its path is damaged and pushed back far away.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

maybe some sort of vertical sword swing from above, while running. i think that main guy on golden axe has it (?)
and which command you think you can use to run? hold shift or double tap?

i'm having hard times trying to skin a model i made in qME h0h0h0h0
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

He'll do an overhead swing and stop running but he'll slide a bit if you press attack while running, to run it'll be double tapping forward and holding it..

The golden axe characters would either jump kick or body check.
Last edited by Tyne on Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Tyne wrote:
Excalibur007 wrote:This is gonna sound real dumb, but I have NO experience with Quake. How do you use this mod? I tried making a pak file, but that didn't work. I tried placing all the files in the ID1 folder and that didn't work either.

(don't laugh)... :lol:
Okay download the mod and extract it to your quake directory WITH paths! So progs.dat and such should be in /quake/medieval/<progs.dat here>

Next, you need to add an additional command line parameter when you run Quake.

without quotes:
"<quakeengine>.exe -game Medieval"

booyah, the mod is running. ;)
Thank you very much. This mod is incredible. Excellent work so far. :o

-Ex
Tis my sig.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

New version released! Running has been added, tweaked lightning storm some more among other changes. The only thing left to do on Vigil is add a couple more spells to his arsenal and add the running attack, then it's on to bigger things for the mod.

I included levels.txt which is all the levels you'll be wandering through. :)

Here's a fun glitch I found in Map01.BSP, this shows why it's only a temporary map and is a good example of why you should also update your maps after making gameplay changes. ;) See if you can do this trick too, hehe.

leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

Tyne wrote:Running has been added
About time!

/me gets
POOPOO
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

I'm making maps for the mod, so I feel like I should post a message even though I don't really have anything to say.

P.S. /me goes to work on the ending for Wilderness
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

RPG = the author of map01ae.bsp????????
/me hugs you :kiss)
i love the dark atmosphere of this map!

@Tyne: wish i could help on anything more than point funny things :(
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

If you're good with 2D art, I need help in that department!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Just played it and i must say the mod has a new horizon with the running, it's more fun to play.

The shot you posted, what is vigil doing? stand on the air? i could stand only near the border of the higher ground. maybe it's engine related?

The lightning spell's sprites are more exagerated now, great thing you've done.

A strange thing i've saw is any place when vigil's standing on diagonal ground as in the shot, he continues to move.

A thing i think would rock, but i think is time consuming to you is to have cutscenes betwen some levels, as in the intro.bsp. Showing fragments of the plot.
Are you thinking in a background history yet?

But te game is really good as is, can't wait to see more maps done.
Hope you are making advances in evenom too. They'll, togheter with Lunkin's Journey, promote the release of nxquake. Would be good to have a Offiicial DCemulation Multimod Disc of nxquake and every great mods you, ajay(), moi, TDA and the others has done.

EDIT: sorry, no 2d/3d/sound arts. just a bit of web (if you need a page) but no flash :(
maybe i can make something with photoshop or corel draw...
i'm in process of learn something
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

DCmad wrote:RPG = the author of map01ae.bsp????????
/me hugs you :kiss)
i love the dark atmosphere of this map!
Thanks. :) The atmosphere is due in large part to the textures that Kell made for me. He rocks. http://kell.spawnpoint.org/
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

DCmad wrote:Just played it and i must say the mod has a new horizon with the running, it's more fun to play.
Thanks I agree, I like how Vigil can run now it also increases the speed of gameplay which is always a plus. I may make enemies decide to run if they're too far away from you also.
The shot you posted, what is vigil doing? stand on the air? i could stand only near the border of the higher ground. maybe it's engine related?
Nope, I fell into the background and I'm jumping in that screenshot. The trick is easy to do you just gotta know where to jump, the glitch can be exploited using the Uppercut Slice attack as it adds additional height to your jump.
The lightning spell's sprites are more exagerated now, great thing you've done.
yep, I like how they're exagerated; it just look plain cooler and deadlier. = )
A strange thing i've saw is any place when vigil's standing on diagonal ground as in the shot, he continues to move.
That would be because Vigil is using velocity based movement, the only fix for it is for him to stop playing his walking animation but stopping him on slopes only probably isn't possible. It's not a huge glitch anyways and doesn't really get in the way of anything.
A thing i think would rock, but i think is time consuming to you is to have cutscenes betwen some levels, as in the intro.bsp. Showing fragments of the plot.
Are you thinking in a background history yet?
I may take this into consideration, but it'll probably just be talking (using text). The cutscenes if I were to add 'em would probably just be a boss character saying how he's going to mess you up. :P
But te game is really good as is, can't wait to see more maps done.
Hope you are making advances in evenom too. They'll, togheter with Lunkin's Journey, promote the release of nxquake. Would be good to have a Offiicial DCemulation Multimod Disc of nxquake and every great mods you, ajay(), moi, TDA and the others has done.
Well now that Vigil is almost completely finished (2 more spells to add and his running attack then he's complete) we can move onto maps and work on larger things such as the experience and stats system!
EDIT: sorry, no 2d/3d/sound arts. just a bit of web (if you need a page) but no flash :(
maybe i can make something with photoshop or corel draw...
i'm in process of learn something
Learn 2D Art or help find someone and I'll be happy, if you can do either of those your name will appear in the credits! = )
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

RPG wrote: Thanks. :) The atmosphere is due in large part to the textures that Kell made for me. He rocks. http://kell.spawnpoint.org/
<3 RPG
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

I've tried the mod with RAdquake 4.3 (since it the last with modmenu) and it ran fine. The speed was even good enough for the 640x480 resolution. I should install linux again and try to compile radquake final with a 640x480 resolution.

anyways here are the dc control binds which must be added to controls.cfg:

Code: Select all

//key binds for DC version
bind DC_DUP "+moveup"
bind DC_DDOWN "+movedown"
bind DC_DLEFT "+moveleft"
bind DC_DRIGHT "+moveright"
bind DC_X "+attack" // battle
bind DC_A "+jump" // jump
bind DC_Y "impulse 2" // block
bind DC_B "impulse 1" // super
you have to create a pak0.pak to use this mod with raquake43 btw
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

thanks Moi, please don't forget to release it here for us ;)
anyway to add modmenu possibility in radquake final? or it need more coder skills?
640x480 would give it a more atractive taste.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

I heard ian has released a new radquake final, i havent tested it yet though.
And for the modmenu: BlackAura told once that you have to add one call of the modmenu function to the main function. sounds easy. but for me it is not, since my c/c++ knowledge is even more limited than my Quake/QuakeC knowledge, if you even can talk about knowledge in this case...
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Moi wrote:I heard ian has released a new radquake final, i havent tested it yet though.
And for the modmenu: BlackAura told once that you have to add one call of the modmenu function to the main function. sounds easy. but for me it is not, since my c/c++ knowledge is even more limited than my Quake/QuakeC knowledge, if you even can talk about knowledge in this case...
sorry for asking, it should be a petiton for a porter, i just don't knew if it should be a engine thing. oh, if only fragger could be more online... i should offer my online spare time to him :)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Well, I won't touch RADQuake anymore. Besides the personal reasons, I would have to fix the mistakes made in the last version, and I prefer to spend this time working more on nxQuake.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube