Jack Stone: The Road to Nowhere

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
BrAzE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jack Stone: The Road to Nowhere

Post by BrAzE »

Hi, I was playing Viewtiful Joe again the other day and loved the style of when he is in regular joe mode, how its like an old scratchy movie.

I took a break from the Shenmue sprites (and tons of Uni work) and started making a quick sample of a mod based on a 50's style detective (long coat, fedora hat, cheesy V.O in the cutscenes ~I imagine~) then I got to thinking about making it black and white to fit with the old movies. I was just wondering, would anyone play a BOR mod if it was black and white?

Heres how it will look... ish:
(you may notice that the background looks a lot like a level in V-Joe, 'cause it is almost an exact copy. :))

Of course, it will look better than this when i've worked on it for more than 10 minutes, but I don't want to spend ages on it if noone wants to play a B&W game... any opinions?
Last edited by BrAzE on Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Sounds like a cool idea. Even if only for the nostalgic feeling of black and white.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Its a good original idea. The screens look great! But is there anyway to do the mod in colour and then apply a b+w filter so you can select colour...But if it does have a cool storyline and is very detectivey it'll work better in b+w
Omegasis
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Omegasis »

I think is better that you leave the game with colour.
The game in b+w looks to sad. And I don't think everyone gonna to play a all game in black and white.
So keep the colour in the game.

See ya. :wink:
Life is a path with infinite destinies
BrAzE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BrAzE »

Cheers for ya opinions. Ahh, I guess I'll make it in colour and then desaturate it all (like 'mattthemodder' said) for the proper release, then i'll stick a colour one up for anyone who don't like the look of B&W.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Just make one release the b&w style and the other in color.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BrAzE wrote:Cheers for ya opinions. Ahh, I guess I'll make it in colour and then desaturate it all (like 'mattthemodder' said) for the proper release, then i'll stick a colour one up for anyone who don't like the look of B&W.
zerotype wrote:Just make one release the b&w style and the other in color.
;)
Trentdaddy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Trentdaddy »

Are you guys insane, B&W is totally original and sounds great. Though, I love the looks of both of them.

And it might be better to use a "tapia effect" (could be wrong word) instead of pure greyscale. This tapia effect is basically like B&W, but its more of a brown color used in older movies.

Perhaps you could even use filters (if possible) to go over it to make it really look old (black flickers, Noise aka. salt and pepper, vertical black lines.)

The colored one look awesome, but the B&W is very original and should be kept thoughout the whole game.

Or you can make it both, and intergrate the B&W into the story. Like its mainly in color, but the "evil baddie" made it it colorless, and you have to find clues to make it colored again. Or somewhat vice versa where the world is used to B&W, and the detective is trying to find out why the world is in color. Or certain levels could be B&W, or certain enemies will make the level B&W if you don't defeat them in time. Oh man, great ideas coming in my head. If you like them, ask me about them, I would really like this to become a creative mod.
Omegasis
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Omegasis »

Trentdaddy wrote:Are you guys insane, B&W is totally original and sounds great. Though, I love the looks of both of them.
I agree with you. But if you play a game in B&W for long time, it hurts your eyes. So is preferable that he use colours in his mod than you get blind play it.

curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Trentdaddy wrote:And it might be better to use a "tapia effect" (could be wrong word) instead of pure greyscale.
I think it's actually called a sepia effect, because sepia is the color of brown that it adds. :D
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
BrAzE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BrAzE »

Ya right about it being the 'sepia' effect, but that is going back a bit too far (film wise) as the old detective movies i'm on about were all in black and white. I think I may take your advice though Trentdaddy and add dust/scratches over the foreground to see if it looks good, if it doesn?t look right then I?ll just remove it.
aL BeasTie
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aL BeasTie »

this sounds very interesting, I agree b+w kills your eyes after a while, but the idea is too good not to try. anyway it wont be monochrome :)

this MOD will need a tommy gun or two ;)

If I see any sprites that may suit your game I'll send em your way.

good luck
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey Braze, that's an awesome idea! I had no idea it would look that good when you were talking to me about it! Excellent!!! I can't wait to see what else you can do with it.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
BrAzE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BrAzE »

aL BeasTie wrote:If I see any sprites that may suit your game I'll send em your way.
Cheers dude, but I?m drawing all the sprites in Flash. I needed a break from the 'real' sprites I?ve been editing for the Shenmue mod so I decided just to start drawing a bunch of my own ?cartoon-style? characters.

For some reason, this detective has chosen not to use guns... I have no idea why yet, but you can rest assured that many of the enemies will not share the same feeling :).
aL BeasTie
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aL BeasTie »

yeah I saw that your making your own, I was thinking more along the lines of miscellaneous items etc.

but totally original sprites etc. will make it much better.

good luck
Trentdaddy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Trentdaddy »

Yeah, that is what I mean, sepia. Much after I posted, I remembered the correct name, but didn't have access to a computer at the time to correct that mistake.

And as for the eyes part...I don't know. I really would like to see how an all greyscale (or almost all would look like). I don't know how it would affect my eyes because I've never played a game with all grayscale except for the GameBoy which had a small screen and bad lighting.
BrAzE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BrAzE »

Sorry to bump this old thread but I thought i'd update it a bit... Not much of an update, but an update none the less.

The mod is now called "Jack Stone: The road to nowhere" ~or something cheesy like that.
Image Image
I have finished most of 'Jack' now (maybe I?ll edit the hip movement for the 'shoot' animation though :)), and am working on getting the old effect (which Trentdaddy suggested) to look right 'in-game'.

I am making the opening scene at the moment; here is what I have so far:
Image**
There is lots left to do between the white on black and the black on white pics (and after of course :))... but does anyone object to this kind of content?

**This is Jack Stone, he thinks he has gotten lucky but what is about to happen is gonna kick off the story and the reason he is after whoever it is he is after (I don't have much in terms of story yet :lol:) .. I?ll give you a clue though... the woman aint reaching under the pillow for something 'playful'.
Omegasis
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Omegasis »

Very nice work, BrAZE. :D

curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

This is looking great so far. You're doing fantastic work with your sprites. Keep it up.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Cool, BrAzE. I'm not inside BoR mods for a long time, infact i'd never finished one. Only a char made (Spiderman from MSHvsSF) and given out for someone in the old senile forum.
But i thought i could give you my 2 cents. It's wonderful what you're making with this B&W concept. But don't you agree would be cool to have some things in colors? Like health items and flashs, whatever. It would be very atractive.
Oops, you already have a HP bar in colors ;)
Can you get my point?
Cheers.