Fan and gd-rom wont work

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
rustcoal132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fan and gd-rom wont work

Post by rustcoal132 »

what happened? i did my first mod, the one on the modem. the dc was working fine.

now only the main led and the modded modem one work.

the fan wont move, and the gdrom only makes a move when the power is unplugged for a while?

anyone know what might be the problem, or if i may have blown a resistor or something?
nevets934
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by nevets934 »

i'm pretty sure that when the fans not working the gd rom drive dosent spin so it dosent over heat
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

did you put the peice of plastic back under the psu (power supply unit) when you put it back together?

just incase it's the modem try turning it on without the modem. if it doesnt work without it you have a problem.
wont u be my friend?
rustcoal132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rustcoal132 »

oh man, thanks nevets and dcmodder.

yesterday, after i had done the mod on the modem, i also opened up the dc to check if a motor would turn on when connected to the 3v on the power supply and on the controller port. it did.

i guess what happened what when i pulled out the controller port, the wires that power the fan were keeping the fan from spinning(thanks nevets).

i checked if the fan was spinning by blowing on it. it wouldnt spin and my hopes got up. i opened up the dc and sure enough, it was being blocked by the wires that power up the fan itself.

moved the wire out of the way and the dc works fine now.
thanks guys
rustcoal132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rustcoal132 »

dang, now none of my controller ports will work. could it be that old resistor flaw?
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

rustcoal132 wrote:dang, now none of my controller ports will work. could it be that old resistor flaw?
Yep
rustcoal132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rustcoal132 »

i removed the risistor, and when i turn the dc on, the swirl just pops out, it doesnt draw itself or make that intro noise. also, the gdrom isnt moving again now. dang!

is this normal when the resistor is removed.

well, i will see if my eet teacher can give me a 10 ohm resistor. i will solder it in and ill let you guys know what happens with my dc.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

i've heard that you can just connect the two contacts where the resistor was and it would work fine. but what you're going to do sounds good too. replace that motha of a F1 resistor beyotch. (if you cant tell i hate the f1 resistor what was sega thinking?)
wont u be my friend?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I much rather blow a simple resister than my whole controller board or the main board
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

that's why i just stay away from trying to overload my controller board. by adding leds or n e thing such as that which is not really nessicary
wont u be my friend?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

it would nice if was just a simple fuse you could replace though
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yes, but you can replace it with something at least. Somebody needs to do more research on replacing the F1 with a resistor and/or fuse.

As for what Sega was thinking, they were probably thinking that they didn't want to have the entire controller board or other parts become useless junk instead of just frying a fusible resistor or whatever the heck you'd call the F1.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
rustcoal132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rustcoal132 »

i replaced f1 with a resistor, but something shorted out. it burned up in black smoke. im not sure what it was, but i put in another resistor, and now the dc is back to normal, that is with a new LED light.!

anyways, i dont know if f1 is a resistor, cuz when the first replacement i put in, it burned, but the f1 was burned out too, but it didnt look burned or anything, it was normal, but it was in fact, not working when i checked it what a volt-ohm meter
RETechnical.co.uk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

F1 Resistor aint a resistor :s

Post by RETechnical.co.uk »

Hi Guys,

I just thought I would post this bit of info. The F1 isn a resistor, its a fuse. Its a wire ended fast blow fuse. I dont know what the mA rating is on it though :).

I have spent all night debugging the board to see why my controller stopped working, and I ended up finding this site.

I hope this clears things up for peeps, and maybe help you find a replacement easier. I just used a single thread of thin wire, and that blew really well when I shorted some of the controller pins out.

Anyways, I'm off to bed.