WTF?! A limited edition bleem of some sort? 56k beware

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
muffinman943
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WTF?! A limited edition bleem of some sort? 56k beware

Post by muffinman943 »

http://www.traderhookup.com/uploaded/us ... 0_3272.JPG
edit: the pic is huge so here is a nice link instead - impetus

whats up with my bleem discs?!? :?
nevets934
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by nevets934 »

there were special editions of bleem? are you sure that they arent pirate copies or something?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

maybe rand will tell ya =P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

nevets934 wrote:there were special editions of bleem? are you sure that they arent pirate copies or something?
Bleem! has insane copy protection, you have much to learn, young one, follow the great RAND, and thou shalt become wiser.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

nah, I personally think rand is a money hungry monger,but that is my opinion, don't like him,sorry.hey pay him enough money maybe he will make a full speed snes emu :roll:
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Link2k4 wrote:nah, I personally think rand is a money hungry monger,but that is my opinion, don't like him,sorry.hey pay him enough money maybe he will make a full speed snes emu :roll:
Yeah - how dare he want to make money off of months of hard work. You are spoiled by the kindness of the authors in the Dreamcast community who release their work for free. Getting any piece of software - even emulators - for free isn't a right, it's a privledge. If Rand, or any other author, wants to release their hard work commercially, then they're free to do it as long as it's their own code - which in Bleemcast's case - it was. Calling him a money hungry monger for selling his own code - code he spent countless hours perfecting - is insulting.

It may be running someone else's software on another platform, but neither emulators nor the reverse engineering which makes it possible are illegal. The code used no intellectual property of Sony, and thus causes that is 100% the property of Rand and Bleem, LLC. He can do anything he wants with it. And, personally, I'm glad he decided to share it with us at all.

If Rand is a money hungry monger, he did a poor job of it. The Bleemcast! discs were $5 a piece - if you think Rand made diddly from that after having to pay for pressing and the royalty costs for chains such as EBGames and Fry's to sell them, then you are sadly mistaken. He'd be lucky to get $1 for each disc sold after all was said and done - it was probably less than that. Not to mention the fact that Bleem was not a one man company. The meager profits had to be divided amongst all of the members - that certainly isn't enough to put bread on the table - and that is before all of the court costs that Sony put them through with their frivolous lawsuits.

I may have said my piece over the stupidity of some of the members here worshipping Rand like a god, but I have nothing but respect for Rand Linden's ability as a coder. The amount of optimization that he was able to get from SH4 assembly to run a Playstation emulator on a 200Mhz machine full speed, with graphic enhancement no less, is nothing short of astounding.
Last edited by MetaFox on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

So, what's so special about that BC! disc? It looks just like the one I have...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

come to think of it, im thinking this person must have been a warezer who probably didnt know about official single game bleem discs.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

um you shouldn't assume things. That not right to accuse someone you could be wrong.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Link2k4 wrote:nah, I personally think rand is a money hungry monger,but that is my opinion, don't like him,sorry.hey pay him enough money maybe he will make a full speed snes emu :roll:
Rand has also always been a really nice guy, asking to our questions and sometimes giving coders hints and tips. You shouldn't disrespect him (or anybody else in this forum that respect the rules). Things like this can cause you to be flamed!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Exactly!

But I dont think Rand would care what Link2k4 says anyway. He is just a child anyway :roll: Not Rand, Link. Just in case someone misunderstood. lol

@ nevets and ETR: I see someone said there's nothing special about that copy, but I'll say this anyway. It could be someone selling the leaked beta which incredibly crap, from what I understand. Having said that, farrel said it's nothing extraordinary, so I dunno.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

MetaFox wrote:
Yeah - how dare he want to make money off of months of hard work. You are spoiled by the kindness of the authors in the Dreamcast community who release their work for free. Getting any piece of software - even emulators - for free isn't a right, it's a privledge. If Rand, or any other author, wants to release their hard work commercially, then they're free to do it as long as it's their own code - which in Bleemcast's case - it was. Calling him a money hungry monger for selling his own code - code he spent countless hours perfecting - is insulting.

It may be running someone else's software on another platform, but neither emulators nor the reverse engineering which makes it possible are illegal. The code used no intellectual property of Sony, and thus causes that is 100% the property of Rand and Bleem, LLC. He can do anything he wants with it. And, personally, I'm glad he decided to share it with us at all.

If Rand is a money hungry monger, he did a poor job of it. The Bleemcast! discs were $5 a piece - if you think Rand made diddly from that after having to pay for pressing and the royalty costs for chains such as EBGames and Fry's to sell them, then you are sadly mistaken. He'd be lucky to get $1 for each disc sold after all was said and done - it was probably less than that. Not to mention the fact that Bleem was not a one man company. The meager profits had to be divided amongst all of the members - that certainly isn't enough to put bread on the table - and that is before all of the court costs that Sony put them through with their frivolous lawsuits.

I may have said my piece over the stupidity of some of the members here worshipping Rand like a god, but I have nothing but respect for Rand Linden's ability as a coder. The amount of optimization that he was able to get from SH4 assembly to run a Playstation emulator on a 200Mhz machine full speed, with graphic enhancement no less, is nothing short of astounding.
I agree with all that MetaFox said, with the exception of his comment about "the stupidity of some of the members here worshipping Rand like a god". What everyone needs to realize is that those who claim that Rand is their god are just kidding around. It's a null joke, much like Mark Discordia, and Jeeba Jabba. If you take it as more than that then you need to ask why you are even taking Null seriously.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

doragasu wrote:
Rand has also always been a really nice guy, asking to our questions and sometimes giving coders hints and tips. You shouldn't disrespect him (or anybody else in this forum that respect the rules). Things like this can cause you to be flamed!
I agree, That is well harsh on Rand, Bleem is well worth the money, and if any of my cash goes towards any more projects of rand's for dreamcast or any other console thats benificial (sp?) for the fans, then thats gotta be a good thing. + There's no way you could produce anything as ambitious as bleem and then distribute it for free thats crazy. anyway the fans should give somthin back.

Im not an ass kiss or anythin, but i Respect the guy for what he's done.
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

So is there still anything to buy to support future projects from him? I will hand over the cash if so. (Im sorry im not really informed about the current state of things, only that bleem! is no more)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

right now hes trying to license his Quake compatible engine for cellphones and the gba. I dont know if there are any games that use it so far, but when it happens he will probably get money from royalties or such.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

ace? wrote:I agree with all that MetaFox said, with the exception of his comment about "the stupidity of some of the members here worshipping Rand like a god". What everyone needs to realize is that those who claim that Rand is their god are just kidding around. It's a null joke, much like Mark Discordia, and Jeeba Jabba. If you take it as more than that then you need to ask why you are even taking Null seriously.
It's not the null stuff that fries my biscuits. I've seen tons of crap outside of null disrespecting homebrew authors while hailing Rand as the second coming. I can't stand that.

Having said that though, your church of Rand joke does nothing but encourage them.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

MetaFox wrote:

Yes Rand Linden truly deserves our respect and much much more and as to add a little more BLEEM is the only software which offered free updates (atleast to my knowledge) and do you know how much his compant sacraficed for our dreamcast fan base if you don't then don't comment on Rand
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

I have all 3 B!C disks. Two of them look like the one on the right, but my GT2 disk looks like the one on the left. My only thought could be a early/late printing, just a guess.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

The cd on the left is the top of the disc, and the one on the right is the bottom (data side).

Someone is trying to be cute...
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

MetaFox wrote:
ace? wrote:I agree with all that MetaFox said, with the exception of his comment about "the stupidity of some of the members here worshipping Rand like a god". What everyone needs to realize is that those who claim that Rand is their god are just kidding around. It's a null joke, much like Mark Discordia, and Jeeba Jabba. If you take it as more than that then you need to ask why you are even taking Null seriously.
It's not the null stuff that fries my biscuits. I've seen tons of crap outside of null disrespecting homebrew authors while hailing Rand as the second coming. I can't stand that.

Having said that though, your church of Rand joke does nothing but encourage them.
First off, its the shrine of rand :lol: and secondly, I've long since abandoned "Randism" as my Null Religion, so I have no idea what you are bringing that up for :?