Using Electrical Tape Instead of Soldering

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
metallic00
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using Electrical Tape Instead of Soldering

Post by metallic00 »

I've seen a few people do this. Is all I have to do tape the wires together instead of soldering them? Also, I want to do a main LED mod with a blue LED and wanted to know how to take off the original LED, without using any soldering/desoldering equipment. If that is not possible, how do you do it WITH soldering equipment?

Thanks,
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Google "Western Union splice" (I had some trouble finding a good "all-in-one" page for it, but there are several pages with good bits of info out there). Technically you're supposed to solder it, but most of the mechanical strength comes from the splice, not the solder, so it should be usable in something that doesn't get knocked around too much. Still, you won't get far in modding without an iron.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
metallic00
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by metallic00 »

So I have to tie it a certain way? I can't just put them together and tape it..
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

metallic00 wrote:So I have to tie it a certain way? I can't just put them together and tape it..
You CAN, but then its even more fragile. You should at least twist them together.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

i got far without soldering. if you want to know about modding without soldering i'm the guy to talk to.
wont u be my friend?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

JUST LEARN TO SOLDER!!! Sorry, I had to get that out. It's not that hard. I have a very unsteady hand and I soldered plenty of crap on plenty of machines. I've replaced LEDs in 3 Dreamcast controller boards, overclocked a Sega Genesis, replaced the LED in 2 Sega Genesises and done plenty of other soldering with 0 problems. Don't be afraid to solder.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Why would you over clock a Genesis _wat's the piont, I have every version of it and I love it, but I'm just wondering.

Nemesis
Feel it, Don't think
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

N3m3sis wrote:Why would you over clock a Genesis _wat's the piont, I have every version of it and I love it, but I'm just wondering.

Nemesis
It fixes slowdown.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

O yeah, like when playing Sonic 3 it slows down when to many sprites enter the screen...Like when you lose your rings...Hmmm seems reasonable enough.... Do you have some sort of a guide on how to do it?

Nemesis
Feel it, Don't think
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You should try playing the 2-player in Sonic 2 if you want to see some real slowdown ;).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Hehehe....I know, I h8 the way they did that...all smooshed...but still pretty fun

Nemesis
Feel it, Don't think
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

http://www.epicgaming.uk.ro/md_oc/howto.php

DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT SOLDERING.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

I love soldering....the toxic fumes...the occasional burn..It's all good! TNX for the guide... I have np soldering, though. :D

Nemesis
Feel it, Don't think
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

az_bont wrote:You should try playing the 2-player in Sonic 2 if you want to see some real slowdown ;).
Why would you ever play the split screen Sonic 2, with or without slowdown?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.