Help burning the Quake Rally mod

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Help burning the Quake Rally mod

Post by Specially Cork »

Ive recently got into Quake DC and have successfully burn the raptors mods. However Im having trouble burning Quake Rally as it seems to be very different. Place could somebody help me with what files I should be putting where and with map renaming (I dont have a keyboard for my DC)
Thanks
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by HyperG »

TheDumbAss or Ajay(perferably), I made the poor guy sit in IRC all day waiting for you to reply to the message as I never got this mod working as well. :-/ I recall Ajay getting it to work. I'm sure one of you know.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I never did try quake rally for myself. :oops:
So I cant really answer. heh

Maybe ajay or someone else who actually did try it can let us know.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
SlimDady
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SlimDady »

Its supposed to work shitty, bad textures and glitches im not sure u actually want to do it
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It says on AJay's site that the only trouble is that most of the textures on the cars are in black and white.
It seems like a bit of a difficult mod to get working because not only are the files in 2 seperate .pak's there are also map and demo files outside of the paks and an aplication to choose the car and track etc. So I dont know how it would be actually possible to choose these options within Quake itself.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Ok, here's what I can remember doing ;)

Firstly any of the mods I've mentioned on my site, were ported very simply, the most I ever got round to adapting were level names e.g. renaming the first level to start.bsp, so it would start up when using a joypad.

The route I used when porting[/] (a bit of a grand term, really) was to take everything in any of the mod's .pak files and place them in the corresponding folder within the generic pak0.pak, e.g. I took the maps from <modname>'s pak4.pak maps folder, and put them into the maps folder within pak0.pak, and so on.
Any demos or progs.dat files were added to overwrite the normal quake ones, I renamed any demos, demo1.dem etc, rather than ammend the quake.rc file.
(btw the quake rally demos are too large for dc quake, so I've made smaller ones, which you can download from my site.)

As for specific changes, other than demos, for quake rally, I can't remember doing anything much; check if the first level is start.bsp, if not rename it as such, then you should be okay playing it without a keyboard.
It did have another strange quirk, other than texture problems on the cars, in that it would crash about 1 in 10 times, I have no idea why....
Also as you've intimated, you do lose some funtions unless you or I or someone were to play around with the quakeC code to make it compatible ... tbh I don't think it's worth it.

As for quake driving games Tomaz's new MiniRacer is coming along wonderfully, and has driving physics and playability that qrally could only dream about, however, it's not gonna be dc compatible as it's an ammended engine, so ...........
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yah, thanks aJay I got it working now. The main thing I was doing wrong was that I thought you had to rename every map, not just the first one. Its not all it cracked up to be anyway :(