Rand, and everyone else working on Bleemcast!

Here lies the historical and much-loved bleemcast! forum, once frequented and moderated by Rand Linden himself, preserved for future generations to enjoy. All new bleemcast!-related posts should be made in the main forum below.
ragb
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rand, and everyone else working on Bleemcast!

Post by ragb »

Rand, I just wanted to thank you again for your tenacious efforts on Bleem!cast. I, like many other people I know, don't have the resources (time, money, space, interest, whatever) to support every console on the market, no matter how well hyped or financed they are.

I bought my first Dreamcast on launch day, and since then have bought three more (for family members) and have inticed countless others to try it. And, of course, once they did, they were hooked!

Now the Dreamcast is in a state of extreme disinterest, at least as far as most retail outlets are concerned. XBox, gamecube, and PS2 are all we hear, and there are even places cheering the cancellation of DC games in favor of other systems, even though they won't even see the games for another year! At least!

And when an innovative, forward (or at least lateral - PSX to DC) thinking company steps up boldly to support we remaining stalwart DC gamers, they get slapped down from (nearly) every side. But you've still stayed strong in your commitment to us.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a non-Sega hater. I love good and great games. But when companies flat out refuse to sell, display, or even consider selling or displaying an exceptional product that the DC community demands, I have an extreme problem. (And I know for fact that what Randy says about Sony is true. I worked at Software Etc part time for over a year, and when Bleemcast was released they simply erased it from their inventory system. We even got a few Bleemcast GT2 trade-ins, and guess where they stayed? In the back room, tacked to the message board with a note exclaiming that they were NOT FOR SALE! under ANY circumstances.

I don't work there anymore. (I'm a computer teacher full time, so, it's not a big deal)

In the end, I've only got room in my life for the Dreamcast right now, and I've got enough games to last a long while, if nothing else was released for it. But I will continue to buy Bleem 'paks' as long as you make them, and I will continue to do whatever i can to help support your efforts.

Thanks!
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

Well said... Bleem! is the last commercial developer we have for the Dreamcast, and let's hope they keep up the battle!
Mr.Es1.1
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mr.Es1.1 »

What a nice touching letter. Yes, its sad to know that some of these stores refuse to carry such a great item. I guess people just don't want to support it because they will probably not profit from it as much as they would from something as new as a Gamecube or XBox. If Bleem only had some more POSITIVE attention from the public eye other than those of Sony lawsuits this product could get some better attention. Advertising on game mags could work but who knows since bleem has financial delimas from lawsuits.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Well for what it's worth there was some pretty good ads back in the Bleem!PC day:

http://www.zophar.net/things/blmlow.jpg

And they got mentioned in the Wall Street Journal (see above ad) and TIME magazine:

http://www.arcadecontrols.speedhost.com ... bleem2.jpg

So Ironically, the stuff with Sony helped them, depending on how you look at it.

However, this ad (in Games Business) bit them in the butt:

http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/booya.jpg

(I wonder if that number still works)

Plus, the concept that Bleem helped pioneer - commercial emulation via software from a 3rd party - wasn't big news anymore. Plus since they held up in court, there wasn't much new to report (other than Sony being a jerk).

Now, witness Smart's Soapbox. Nutshell: Derek Smart is the man who started 3000AD, a company whose main software product to this point is Battlecruiser 3000AD. That game was in development for seven years before being rushed to market by Take 2 Interactive, so he's self publishing the sequel, Battlecruiser Millenium. In this rant, however, he expounds upon the reasons why it's so late to market, insulting everyone he's ever met and slamming on the people who might have bought the game. What a guy. He also states why BCM is an "EB Exclusive", like the game Wizadry 8, but in this case what "EB Exclusive" means is "no one else will sell/carry it". EB's cool like that - they'll sell what others won't. This is why they're cool about selling Bleem. However, if Fry's isn't selling Bleem (I've heard things) then Bleem, IMHO, should "spin" this to say that Bleem is an "EB Exclusive". Just a thought.

Schnapple
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Ahh...yes, I remember those adds. I was SO excited to get my hands on a copy of bleem! for PC. I bought bleem along with tekken 3. I rushed home to put it on my computer, and while it wasn't perfect, by any means, I was one seriously happy camper. And when I used bleem! to play Castlevania: SOTN on my laptop...well, I was just in heaven. I mean, sure the sound on Castlevania wasn't right, but it sure played well. And the sound even made for some good laughs. I played SOTN on PC bleem! so much that now I can quote the bleem!ed voice acting when Richter talks to Dracula at the very first of the game...(You steal men's souls and...you steal men's souls and make them your slaves!What is a man...What is a man. A miserable pile of secrets.). Yes, I am a faithful bleem! fan...have been since the day I heard about bleem!, and I will be 'til the end. Thanks Rand for all the work you've put into bleem!. It takes a strong person to stand up for something you believe in, and to keep on keepin' on even through lawsuits and stuff, that's just darn admirable. So, with that, I add my thanks. ;)