Important Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 W.I.P. news

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Szczepaniak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Szczepaniak »

O_o

Why? I see megaman sprites in the megaman games.
I see loads of ripped sprites in plenty of games.

Anyway, they have been changed quite a bit, do you think it could lead to legal ramifications? At which point are they no longer MS sprites?
The colours are all different, as are certain parts of the sprites. I mixed and matched lefs, redid the guns slightly, and changed their faces a bit. Also removed the backpacks.

Hmm.... I may have to get to work changing them some more.....
Shot myelf in the foot I guess, but I thouhgt the sizes and proportions worked well. Ill be doing some totally new sprites for additional charatcers which I would have based on the SM style anyway.

Oh well, ce la vie.

What would need to be changed before it would be considered? The concept is entirely original thats for sure.

So, brass tax here, what problems could arise, and what needs altering?

(wait until you work out where I ripped the title screen music from ;) )
http://www.storm-studios.net
- visit them, they have trampolines, everyone loves trampolines, trust me.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Szczepaniak wrote:Why? I see megaman sprites in the megaman games...
... and what needs altering?
The fact that you altered the sprites doesn't change that they're derived from something else. What I would do if I were you is this:
Open up what you've got in one window and look at it, while creating a new one in another window. Without saying, "OK, this pixel is gray, this one's blue..." (which would be copying it), just try to create the new sprite with the same feel and similar look. Then they become your original work, instead of your adaptation of somebody else's work.

I'm not trying to rag on your work, I'm just trying to explain why I could see them having a problem using it in a 'commercially distributed' freeware comp. If you decide "eh, we don't need to try to get on that disc," then I'd personally keep things however they make you happy but if eventually you want it distributed by somebody like Lik-Sang or the GOAT store, you should really take efforts to make your graphics and sound 100% original.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

usually the test for derivative work is that they get like a certain amount of people and go, this is this and this is that, do they look different to you? either that or it just comes down to the judge going ... yes they are the same.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

quzar wrote:usually the test for derivative work is that they get like a certain amount of people and go, this is this and this is that, do they look different to you? either that or it just comes down to the judge going ... yes they are the same.
...right, but isn't it better to not have to go in front of a judge at all?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

oh, i wasnt saying to do so, i was just saying that that is usually how it is decided, so if you do anything it has to be very different.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

quzar wrote:oh, i wasnt saying to do so, i was just saying that that is usually how it is decided, so if you do anything it has to be very different.
Oh, OK. I think we agree then.

The thing to keep in mind is that "inspired by" and "copied from" are different. If I like how Mickey Mouse looks, and I want to make my own cartoon like him, I can't just draw (or trace) Mickey again and change his outfit and call it my own character. Even if I draw it, he's not mine although it might be my drawing of Mickey. I can, however, look at Mickey Mouse and draw something new (and diferent) that incorporates my own way of expressing what it is I like about Mickey Mouse. Does that make sense?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

inspired by on the other hand would be seeing mickey, thinking it would be cool to have a character with red pants held by suspenders and no shirt, but that is a bird, or a person.

yea. im pretty sure we agree as well. i was previously just describing how the legal process would work
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

quzar wrote:inspired by on the other hand would be seeing mickey, thinking it would be cool to have a character with red pants held by suspenders and no shirt, but that is a bird, or a person.
Right. It could even be a mouse, as long as the red shorts and yellow suspenders were where the similarities ended, and they were't the same red shorts and yellow suspenders that Mickey wears. Although, I think it would be easier to make a 'different' character if it weren't a mouse at all, as you suggested
Szczepaniak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Szczepaniak »

The reason why I based my sprites on them, was the original MS characters had nice colour and shading, its so tricky to get shadows and depth looking just right.

I can easily change them some more, but I used them since it helped show me that for example, the 3 outside pixels should be light, then a little darker, then light then very dark again.
Voila! A round leg is born.

Anyway, you should be pleased to know, all future charatcers are being done by hand, by me.
Though its a little slow going.

Music in the first city level btw was composed by me, is ised one of those old music makers, and put it together ages ago. Any good?

Thanks for all the info.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

if you need music i can do keyboard and dj working for your game inbetween wheat i do heh.

Whispered secrets has about 15 tunes i wrote in it.
Dreamcast forever!!!
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

tommorrow will be 4 weeks (28 days)
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

*nods*

Yes you're right. Actually we're in the final stage and we're just waiting for another three prods which we will add to the CD, everything else is done.

Ian, thanks a lot for your offer! I'll contact you if we need something. :)
Szczepaniak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Szczepaniak »

WHOA! Hold on! :o
Ive redone the sprite images, if GPF adds these redone images, can we still get our basic 2P only version on the disc? How much time do we have?
Dan Loosen had a look at them and said they looked fine.

I redid characters, levels, lots of stuff. With the new stuff added, thered be nothing copyright in it.

Is it too late?!
Say it aint so!

PM or email me, or GPF, or both of us even. I think TG would make a fantastic addition to the disc!
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

so whats the word? its now past that 4 weeks? please please let this be released, hehe
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

bump?
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

Will it have a case or plastic slipcase?
We haven't decided that yet, but we try to get a case so that it perfectly fits into your Dreamcast game collection.
I say use those old sega cd cases (sturncases) , or the 1st psx cases that will sure make alit of ppl happy
crabcakes
muffinman943
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by muffinman943 »

tis will rock, is there any chance that we can see these discs anywhere else like goatstore or something? also, can we buy these diss by themselves?
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Dunno, Lik-Sang makes the decisions about the sales.

Current status is, that my real life keeps me busy, almost every weekend I'm away on conventions or meetings. But this is a good sign, some of them are closely connected to DDD or other DCS projects. Plus, in the last few days we had much more great offers which makes the DDD more unique.

Stay calm and relax. It will come one day. ;)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Take your time - I am pretty shure we'll get sth really really good :D
Insane homebrew collector.
skar
how powerful i am!

Re: Important Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 W.I.P. news

Post by skar »

Freeze wrote: Will I be famous if I would support you with my software?
Haha... well... yeah of course... but serious: The TV station "NBC Europe" agreed to show the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 and it's content for at least 15 minutes and we also got some new international press contacts, so it would not be that surprising if you would see an article about it in videogame magazines.
well i'm watching nbc europe pretty often. just to make sure this doesn't end up in a lot of dissappointment, they're most likely talking about their show "giga games" which is a german gaming show presenting pc and console games 2 hours each day (22 - 24 o clock). This would also fit since the console section usually gets 3 takes each 6 minutes long... but don't expect to much from them since i guess they're used to next-generation-games and i'm not sure how they'll present it... if they don't like it, they might make some fun outta it... well i'm looking forward to seeing it anyways :)

btw is there somewhere a list of the games/software included on the disc? I'd really love to see alice 2nd demo and revolver on it...