ps2 vs. dc

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.

which is better?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 11, 2001 1:00 am

Total votes: 0
MrOwNeY4mKaOs
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ps2 vs. dc

Post by MrOwNeY4mKaOs »

it's a joke i still think dreamcast is better cause i bought two new games dealing wid graphic (the bouncer, silent hill 2) the bouncer look like it's wash up, in other word blury, silent hill is different from the bouncer, graphic is not clean but is sharp. but one thing i dont get it, silent hill 2 look like silent hill(PSOne) graphic just a lil better, and another thing i dont get this game call "klonoa 2 lunatea's veil" has good graphic just like sonic does fast loading just alil cheaper graphic if u know what im saying.
Last edited by MrOwNeY4mKaOs on Sun Nov 04, 2001 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CG1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by CG1 »

i really dont care about graphics, i go stright 4 game play
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

I don't believe it, I've got to move something already!

TOPIC MOVED
Mr Spoon

Post by Mr Spoon »

Im with CG, If we only cared about graphics how come we are all on this site downloading and burning emus to play classic games that by todays standards look really poor :)
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

The main reason DC games have any graphic boost at all over PS2 games is simply because of the DC's larger video memory. In a DC game you may be able to see the individual textures much clearer on a character, but the PS2 will render many more polygons on that same character, with a sacrifice to texture detail. This is why games like MDK2 and Dead or Alive 2 seem to look better on the dreamcast... they weren't really changed much on the PS2 to use more polys, and you can only see a loss of detail in the textures (blurry walls, etc.). Since developers are really just breaking the ice as far as effectively optimizing their games on the PS2, it really doesn't appear to have much of a technical advantage over the DC. If I remember right, the PS2 doesn't have any built in filtering, either (anti-aliasing, bilinear...); you have to include algorithms for this in your games, and this knocks down on performance...
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Dreamcast graphics baby! They look so beautiful I could almost cry :cry:

But now that you mention this, it is a DAMN SHAME that we will never see the Dreamcast to the fullest. Meaning the system displaying the best possible graphics that the system can handle and so forth.
Dark Knuckles
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

yess

Post by Dark Knuckles »

Her ps2 it is very good but not the sufficient thing to win him to dc that is the best besides the fact that the games and besides the fact that with dc you play online without buying anything whereas ps2 modem does not bring her and it tendras that to buy and if we see the graphs they are very low I believe that ps2 is low than the dc alive dc
Bigboy
DC64/DreamSpec Creator
DC64/DreamSpec Creator

Post by Bigboy »

Oh this is where it went :)

The PS2 does have bi, and tri linear filtering. It does NOT have anti-aliasing (and boy does it show!).

The Dreamcast poly system is okay.. nothing special really (except for rendering intersecting ALPHA polys - which is amazing). The PS2 can simply "pump" more through, and thanks to its VU's it can make new prims (like Beziers or subdiv surfaces) without the main CPU knowing or caring.

But, your bang on about Dreamcast games looking better because of texture space. Therse There's a couple of racing games that look stunning because of the road/trackside textures. PS2 simply can't cope with the size needed. Sure it can upload like a buggery, but unless your gonna render it LOTS its a waste.

The XBox... well.. theres another matter! DX1-DX5 compression. (thats up to 8 to 1), as well as up to 2Kx2K in size!(may be more, cant remember what GeForce3 does). This will shake the PS2 from the tree alright, and is probably what DreamCast owners will more onto. Graphically, it looks like a nextgen-Dreamcast. And NO anti-aliasing probs.

(now... if they can just fix that stupid green frontend they have....)
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

Whoops sorry, always get anti-aliasing and the bilinear filtering confused... why on earth doesn't the PS2 have some form of texture compression? It's got the least amount of ram, so you think they would compensate... I think I mostly hate the PS2 just because it lives off of it's reputation... PS1's reputation. It seems poorly designed compared to most next-gen systems, and when/if it wins the next-gen console wars, it will only be because of it's name. Crossing my fingers Squaresoft thinks about dealing with Microsoft...
I was in a video game store the other day, putting some more money down on my pre-order of the 'ol X-Box, and another customer asks me "Why don't you just get a PS2?"...
"I did," I say. "On launch day. Then I put it away in a closet, and waited for someone on E-bay to give me a good offer."
Mr Spoon

Post by Mr Spoon »

On the subject of Squaresoft I dont think theyre gonna be anywhere near Micro$oft as Sony have just bought a 19% stake in them!
My moneys with Sony as I own both a PS2 and a DC and love them both and they both have their differances and various games that will never appear on the respective systems. Virtua Fighter 4 anybody? ? ? ;)
Bigboy
DC64/DreamSpec Creator
DC64/DreamSpec Creator

Post by Bigboy »

One of the main reasons I love the PS2, is not because of the games... but because Sony gives developers VERY LOW access to hardware. This means that when actual home-brew scene takes off (soon now - since Linux is comming, and they almost have USB download). You can hit the hardware easily!!! I also "love" MIPS procesors. real nice... Interrupt handling and everything is VERY easy with PS2, so debugging etc would be a peice of cake! :)

As for games... still waiting for a good one....

I'd really love a PS2 devkit... :cry:
Racer X
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Racer X »

The PS2 does have anti-aliasing but it must be programmed in the game itself. Like Bigboy said Sony doesn't allow very much access to the hardware so many can't figure out how to do so.
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

DC has CG Graphics? ... well im more reffering to CG Movies... and DCs CG movies do look nice though it dosent matter fo rwhat console the cg movies are for... as long as th esystem can play movies than it can be as nice as it wants... there arent enough games for DC with CG Movies... i like 5 million polygons in TD: Le Mans so i gotta go for DC Graphics, i love them so much...
Bigboy
DC64/DreamSpec Creator
DC64/DreamSpec Creator

Post by Bigboy »

[quote=Racer X]
The PS2 does have anti-aliasing but it must be programmed in the game itself. Like Bigboy said Sony doesn't allow very much access to the hardware so many can't figure out how to do so.
[/quote]

Actually I said they DO allow low level access. And the Anti-Alias on the PS2 is a fudged ALPHA mode... horrible... (FSAA that is). The also give examples on how to do it... but its tricky, and doesn't always work the way you'd like.

And after all that, still isn't a patch on the DC or XBox display.
CG1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by CG1 »

DC has CG Graphics?
damn stright :D i use my own ip.bin when i burn stuff. it has a kick ass image in it :D
shawn27199
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

hmmmm

Post by shawn27199 »

well I actualy like both systems. I think they both have valid pros and cons. I seem to play my ps2 mainly for sports games. and i use my dc mostly for emu's.... I feel there both fairly well rounded and tons of fun.
Only777
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

The Truth

Post by Only777 »

Look DC is miles better than PS2 and always will be, The DC has more better games to buy now than PS2 has now or in a year's time. Then in a years time devlopers will say "BOOKER! Games Cube and X-box are out lets make games for them instead." Why will they make this sudden change? Hardly that many people are making big money out of game sales for PS2, so they will change to machines that are easier to make stuff for (like the Microsoft X-Box).
While all this is going on the Underground scene for Dreamcast is still going strong, while dim witted PS2 owners have no idea about even the concept of emulation.

Playstation who.....?
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

The Truth

Post by DeGamer1 »

[quote=Only777]
Look DC is miles better than PS2 and always will be, The DC has more better games to buy now than PS2 has now or in a year's time. Then in a years time devlopers will say "BOOKER! Games Cube and X-box are out lets make games for them instead." Why will they make this sudden change? Hardly that many people are making big money out of game sales for PS2, so they will change to machines that are easier to make stuff for (like the Microsoft X-Box).
While all this is going on the Underground scene for Dreamcast is still going strong, while dim witted PS2 owners have no idea about even the concept of emulation.

Playstation who.....?
[/quote]

Only777, you're da man! 8)

I wish everyone else would see it that way. Sigh, my job will never be done (
Last edited by DeGamer1 on Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigboy
DC64/DreamSpec Creator
DC64/DreamSpec Creator

Post by Bigboy »

While I do think the XBox will probably beat PS2 in terms of games, the PS2 already has some 20Million units shipped. Thats a LOT! Has anyone any figures on Dreamcast?

PS2 has around 80+ Million units shipped. (I think that also includes PSOne).

This says theres money in making games for this playform. Therefore, companys will develop for PS2. There is NO cash if writting for Dreamcast - not anymore. In a years time, PS2 will still be selling, and games will still be getting made..

I hope the XBox does well, because I like the visuals it produces, and it looks like it has more varied games for it - not the same only boring ones the PS2 has.

The reason no ones making money on PS2, is beause they are all crap. Only the good ones (GT3 and a couple of others) are any good at all. Its nothing to do with the machine itself.

I do wish they had released Half life on dream cast... that would have been sweet.... :(
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

about a year ago i wouldve said "PS2 sux DC rules!!!" but now, although i dont think DC sux, I think PS2 is better in terms of games...i mean look at all the great games it has coming out. X-box also has great games coming out, but its the hardware i dont like about x-box not the software. For gamecube, the hardware looks impressive...but i cant seem to find any games i like. Ps2 has both reliable hardware and great games. i think PS2 is the way to go this year. DC STILL RULES THOUGH!!!