hardware check for the right modems problem conecting

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GreenDay
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hardware check for the right modems problem conecting

Post by GreenDay »

ok well the problem is when I try dailing up to my computer from the dreamcast webwebbrowser 2.6 I get a message on the webbrowser that says "Therer is no answer on this Telephone number check your isp phone #" I am using a PCTEL Platinum V.90 Modem::ComPaq::Microsft 56k modem and my dreamcast it a made in Japen 2000 model but I heard the modem on the 2000 modles dont work so I got another modem off my freinds dreamcast that is made in china and its from 1999 so I dont know whats wrong I wish there was a way I could check my modem's and see if they are compatible...
natiels
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by natiels »

I am going to assume you are trying to dial by simply connecting a phone cord from your DC to your PC. Assuming that, you have to force the modem on your PC to answer the call because there is no actual ring to signal the modem to answer.

go here to get more details.
http://www.consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/
GreenDay
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by GreenDay »

yes i fallowed all the steps just need to know if my if my modems are compatplie this is just to bump up one of my old post that no one gave any feedback to
natiels
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by natiels »

well, if you want to know if your dreamcast is physically able to connect to your modem you can open up hyperterminal and create a connection that is on the same com port as your modem. At that point you can type commands to the modem. My modem makes an audible click noise when it picks up the line so to see if its working i type atdt3 and see if i can hear it pick up. After that i type ATZ to reset the modem. Then if you want to see if your dc is capable of connecting you go to the DC and hit connect. Wait a few seconds after it has dialed and then type ATA in the hyperterm connection. This will tell your modem to answer the line. If you have set up your hyperterm right and are actually sending commands to your modem and IF your DC has a modem that will work without dial tone or line voltage then your DC will connect to the hyperterm connection and you will see something like
CONNECT 33600 ARC V.34 or some such thing and then a bunch of garbage.

At that point you know that your DC is capable of making a connection with your PC but you have to get over the hurdle of forcing your OS to answer the line and make a ppp connection with it. It seems to be very easy to get a modem to connect using win98 but the connection is pure crap and games don't play well over it. I know of 4 different ppl that got the win98 connection working but it was too laggy to play on. I am not sure what the connection is like in winxp, i am guessing better tho. I used linux to make my connection and its probably 10x faster in games then win98 and i am not even exaggerating.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I've never been able to get my PAL DC to connect to my PC with just a modem cable. If I give the 'ATA' command my PC's modem will attempt a connection but the DC's modem won't join in for some reason.

To get around this I used a device that's normally used to connect analog phones to an ISDN line. The device allows for in-house calls. The device is powered and I suspect that it provides line voltage. I connect the Dreamcast to one analog port and my PC's modem to another. (Note that I do not hook up an ISDN line). I set the Dreamcast to call '**2' (meaning 2nd phone line). DreamKey didn't allow '**2' in the phone number field, so I set the '**' in the field for external line, and '2' in the phone number field.

Another plus of this method is that an actual RING will be generated. So you don't have to jump through hoops to get your PC to pick up the line.

I assume that other devices which provide in-house calls will work just as well.
natiels
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by natiels »

wow, that is pretty cool. Where did you get it? What is it called? How much did it cost? :). Generating a ring tone would be nice so i could get my pc to answer without forcing the ata command. Good info.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

natiels wrote:Where did you get it?
I got a 2nd hand unit from an auction site.
natiels wrote:What is it called?
The device I use is called an 'ISDN duovox', but it's only available in The Netherlands (at least under that name). But any device that can handle in-house calls should do the trick.
natiels wrote: How much did it cost?
?15, which is about US$18. You can probably find one cheaper than that though, if you look hard enough.

qw3rty posted this link in another thread: http://www.freehostsltd.com/sites/dream ... ubild.html. It's a simple image of how things are hooked up in this situation.
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

nice!! within the modem properties (within the incoming call properties-windows xp) what my calling preferences and such be?