What Do I Do With RAR Files?
A lot of people have been asking a lot of questions about RAR files. Because all of the BOR mods are being uploaded as RAR files, I thought I would make this topic to explain what RAR files are, and what you need to do with them. Here goes:
A RAR file is very similar to a ZIP archive. RAR is simply a slightly different method of compressing and archiving files. Because the BOR modders are only able to upload 5 megabyte files, they are required to split their mods into several RAR archives.
Here is what you do with them:
1) Download all of the RAR files listed by the author. (If DCSteve lists 13 separate RAR files, then you need to download all 13 of them). All of the files will have the same filename, except that they will end with a different number.
2) Download WinRAR from http://www.rarlab.com/
3) Install WinRAR.
4) Right-click on the first RAR file in the set and select "Extract here".
5) Then, the files that were contained within the archive will appear in the directory. Many of the BOR mods are CDI files, which are DiscJuggler disc images. A few of the BOR mods are simply BOR.pak files.
If you want to play these mods on your PC
1) Follow the steps above. If there is a CDI file inside the RAR files, then you will need to follow steps 2-5. If there is a PAK file inside there, then you simply need to make sure it is named "BOR.PAK", and place it in the same directory that contains your BOR.exe file. Then, when you click on BOR.exe, it will open the PAK file you just put in there.
2) If you get a CDI file, download and install ISOBuster
. Then, open ISOBuster and go to the "File" menu.
3) Choose "Open Image File", and locate the CDI that you just unzipped.
4) All of the files that are contained within the CDI will appear in the right hand pane of ISOBuster. Locate "BOR.PAK" and right-click on the file.
5) Choose "Extract BOR.PAK" from the menu that appears. Browse to the directory that contains your BOR.exe file, and extract the PAK file to that directory. Then, when you click on BOR.exe, it will open the PAK file that you just put in there.
If you place BOR.PAK in your BOR directory, it will overwrite any other files that are currently named "BOR.PAK". If you would like to keep your original PAK file, I suggest copying all of the contents of your BOR file, and pasting them somewhere else on your harddrive, before you extract the BOR.PAK file to that directory
How To Make Your Own BOR Mod
If you are interested in making your own BOR mod, then here is some information you should know:
First of all, you should go to http://senileteam.segaforums.com/bor_editpack.php
and download the BOR mod edit pack. This package will provide just about everything you need to create your own mod. The only things it doesn't provide are the sprites and the creativity.
Secondly, you will need a graphics program. The only freeware one I am aware of that is capable of handling these particular graphics, is "GIMP"
Also - it has been suggested that you pick up Pakplode. As soon as a link is found for it, we will add that to this post.
Please, if you have any suggestions on useful resources, post them in this topic.