Qontra - a new MOD I'm working on

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

I'll give you some QuakeC to help enemies kill you on touch since it's the easiest thing ever. :P

void() DeathTouch =
{
if (other.classname == "player") // if it's a player
T_Damage (other, self, self.owner, 999); // deal 999 damage, insta death.
};

then just put <entity>.touch = DeathTouch;
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
Been thanked: 0

Post by XDelusion »

Target Quake rox! I'm glad to see someone is taking the time to make use of that great MOD and create something from it, I was thinking of doing something with it myself some day, but that's going to require learning a whole new game engine from scratch. :/

I'll be eagerly awaiting a release, looks a LOT better than the Contra games on the PSX already, keep it up, both the DC and the XBOX sceen will love you for it!
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

An update:
At the moment I have bad news :( Since RadQuake doesn't support saving
It won't be possible to continue playing after you've died once.
In QuakeDC it will be possible but the player skin isn't displayed correctly, which is a typical problem of this port.
On the other side it gives me time until the next version of RADQuake comes out :)

Mr.Jones: Cool! I'm glad to see new ppl come here! Especially if you look at Tyne's 'Has this place died topic?'. :)
Don't give up so quickly, I remember for me it took weeks before I got WorldCraft to compile my maps when I ried it 2 years ago... and my fault was: I haven't created the folder where the compiled maps had to be placed to! :oops:
Anyways if you need any help feel free to ask here it may take some time before you'll get an reply but I personally will try to do my best :)
XDelusion wrote:I'll be eagerly awaiting a release, looks a LOT better than the Contra games on the PSX already, keep it up, both the DC and the XBOX sceen will love you for it!

Unfortunatelly I don't know how it'll look in software rendered modus because it doesn't work either with WinQuake nor with DosQuake.

Tyne: Thanks for your help! But at the moment I'm not sure if I should use this. Would the lpayer die if he touches a dying enemy (while death frames
are running) Or would I have to remove the death frames :?:

LOL: I guess my replys slowly get TDA's reply level ;)
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

He will die if he touches a dying enemy and the enemy is still solid, so after you kill an enemy set his solid state to SOLID_NOT and it'll be all good.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Moi: Lantus is working on a GL wrapper for the XBOX port as we speak, so hopefully in the end all will work out. If not...

...well then at least I own a Dreamcast. :)
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Whats this about my reply level? heh
I just keep so darn busy now a days :(

Tyne's simple help is 100% accurate. And it should work. Besides... In a game like this you wouldnt want the dead/dying to interrupt your movement... so even if you dont have them kill you on touch it'd probibly still be a good idea to make them SOLID_NOT when they die to avoid any oddities.

XDelusion: Do you know if Lantus has gotten my email or visited his forum recently? /me double checks... Ah he has been to the forums since my post. Just not commented on it.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

TDA: I meant that my replys are becoming longer and longer like yours, no offense here :)

BTW Is there a way to have more than one life like in the real contra games?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Yes it's possible, but I don't know how targetquake works so I can't help you with that. :(
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Moi: oops I misunderstood. :)

a guess on a way to do multiple lives would be to write a fake death function that runs through the death frames, resets all the players powerups to the standards, and pauses for a second. Then it'd call a fake respawn dropping the player down at about the same spot that they died.

If your going to do it truely Contra style where there is no health at all then you could use health as your meter for the number of lives left. Then when the player loses their final life the health would become 0 and it'd be "game over"

eh... I was going to post some sample code but it got to be a bit to much. And it may have ended up confusing things. There is more than one way to do all that stuff. My basic idea is just one example.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Moi wrote:Unfortunatelly I don't know how it'll look in software rendered modus because it doesn't work either with WinQuake nor with DosQuake.
Open the models in qME, open the properties window and check the "view origin". It should contain only numbers, otherwise it won't work in any software-rendered version of Quake.

Other thing: When I converted some MD3 models from Q3A some of them didn't work, then I discovered that some of the skin's vertices were placed off of the skin, ex: a 100x100 skin and a vertice placed at 87x109. To fix this you can use the "cut out unused pieces of skin" button or the other button that reconstructs the skin vertices.

That's what I remember now... I'm not connecting at home so I can't help much.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

It works now, thanks for the tip Fragger! The problem was that the gpl model is bigger than the original q1 player.mdl so it didn't run exactly on the ground in the GL mode and didn't work at all in the software modes.

TDA: I think it isn't worth thinking about more than one life yet since there are still problems with reloading/level checking in TargetQuake :(
readme.txt
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by readme.txt »

Hey Moi, yesterday i was working on a new Map for Qontra, basing on your "Helicopter-Drawing" (which was pretty good :mrgreen: ).

I have done a small Level first with some elements first, and then the real "Helicopter-Level". I just had to put Textures on it

Then my PC crashed and the editors aren?t working anymore. - That Sucks
German DC-Forums ------>>> http://www.boi.de.vu
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Good to hear that you're working on it...

Want me to give you my editors and files ?
readme.txt
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by readme.txt »

Moi wrote:Good to hear that you're working on it...

Want me to give you my editors and files ?
would be nice
German DC-Forums ------>>> http://www.boi.de.vu
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

How about a status update?
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Hmm, I realised that my lightning abilities suck. The maps look good in GL Quake but when I test them in SoftwareQuake the colors of the textures are messed up. If i try to make the lights brightness number smaller and it helps but then the maps are too dark in GL mode.
I wanted to ask for help at the inside3d forums but they seem to have problems...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

GLQuake tends to be darker then it should, the only way I could adjust the brightness was going through my actual 3D settings on my video cards control panel. However recent engines such as Darkplaces have colour control options you should look into.

[Edit]: I have a .pal file you may be interested in that removes full brights from the pallete and replaces them with the nearest non-fullbright colour, saved me a lot of time with Envenom PM me if you want it.

My advice: make it look nice in software Quake first off, check if you've accidently used fullbrights where you shouldn't of, and then let people deal with the brightness issues themselves concerning GLQuake.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

A modifed pal file would be cool.
Yeah I'm trying to make it look nice in software mode now.

I'm not sure if you explained good enough what i meant with "messed up textures" you can see this in your 2dcam fighting mod, in GL mode it looks nice but in software mode the ground looks pretty crappy. same happens in my qontra maps.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi wrote:A modifed pal file would be cool.
Yeah I'm trying to make it look nice in software mode now.

I'm not sure if you explained good enough what i meant with "messed up textures" you can see this in your 2dcam fighting mod, in GL mode it looks nice but in software mode the ground looks pretty crappy. same happens in my qontra maps.
Cool I will give you the secret link up. Oh, try d_mipscale 0 .. see if that helps, if that's the problem then there is nothing you can do about it concerning the Dreamcast ports (maybe force d_mipscale 0 - but you'd get a low framerate and maybe the RAM icon popping up).
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Moi, has there been any progress? I'd love to play this mod! If you need music, I freaking highly recommend this .it file

http://circa1984.com/renegade/renonly/contra.it << Contra 1 music remixed

Best. Nes. Remix. Ever. :P