Modem through a mac on broadband

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Modem through a mac on broadband

Post by pixel »

I remember some people working on using a mac to use the DC's modem to make it compatible with a broadband hookup. Any luck?
(I really want to try this homebrew PSO server)
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

no,jared fogle was trying. but he gave up. so was I ,but i gave up. You need to make the mac a dial in server...soo yeah....nooo
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KeithIrwin »

You don't really need to make the Mac a full dial-in server. You can do a much lighter weight version of that which just requires getting the modem to pick-up and handing off to pppd which is already installed. I've recently put together a short guide to getting it done here:

http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.txt

As for the PSO stuff, I don't know if you need to do port remapping for UDP packets. I've heard that some games require that. That I don't know how to do off of the top of my head. To use the homebrew PSO server, you'll also need to have the DC use a DNS server which you can override the defaults on. You should be able to twiddle the pppd settings in order to tell the Dreamcast what DNS server to use. Then you can run one and have it use that one. There are guides to setting up DNS servers on OS X around, so it shouldn't be too bad. Let me know if you get it working. I only own version 1 myself, but I'd pick up version 2 if the homebrew server was working well.

Keith Irwin
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Er.. wow.. thanks! :D
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

If you can make a tutorial for the human that's be cool
MegaBomberMan
The Mac Mod
The Mac Mod
Location: My girlfriend's hou.... the mall, I'm at the mall :p

Post by MegaBomberMan »

Knowing you that means one of two things:
1. "Can you make a tutorial for normal people?"
- or -
2. "Can you make a tutorial for French people?"
Or maybe you just mean what you said, just trying to help.
Imaget(-_-)===@
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

I don't know what you mean, jiloup. Are you asking me to make a tutorial for connecting humans to the Dreamcast? Are you complaining about the readability of my guide? Are you asking for a guide which doesn't require any unix knowledge at all? If there's something that I can do to help, I'd be glad to, but I don't know what you're asking.

Keith
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

sorry for my terrible french accent : :oops:
yes i want a tutorial for normal people (99,999 % of the world who can't understand the unix part of mac os X) Maybe i can make a french tutorial after ? Who are french here ? Je suis seul ?
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

If you want a version which doesn't require using the terminal at all, you're pretty much out of luck unless someone wants to write some form of application to help out.

But, I have figured out how to do things with less unix knowledge. It is possible to launch a version of TextEdit which can edit protected files so that you no longer need to use a unix editor such as vi or emacs. To do this, you open a terminal window (launch Terminal from Applications:Utilities:Terminal) and type "sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit" and press enter. This will give you a TextEdit which you can use to create or edit the /etc/ppp/options file (or any other file in your system at all, including ones which should not be changed, so be careful).

Using UUCP/cu will requires installing the developer's tools and will likely still need a little unix knowledge to get installed. Which is a shame because it's more straightforward than minicom to use. But if you want no unix knowledge, then go with Minicom.

Minicom can be installed without the developer's tools by installing Fink. Fink can be installed by using the installer which can be downloaded from http://fink.sourceforge.net/ and then using Fink Commander, which is included in the install. Fink Commander is a fairly friendly GUI. Follow the instructions from the web page to get it all set up and then use it to install the binary form of minicom. Then follow the rest of the minicom instructions. Minicom is a program which runs in the terminal, but it is very easy to use, no unix knowledge is required. I had never seen it prior to this and had no trouble.

I'll try and get a more complete no-unix version of the guide written up at some point, but it really doesn't require very much unix knowledge, so you should give it a try. If you have problems, let me know.

Keith Irwin
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Oh, and if you want to translate anything I've done into French or any other language feel free. However, the only French I know is "cul de sac" "hors devours" "je ne se qua" "c'est la vie" "esprit de corps" and "Je ne parle pa fraincais." The first five I know because they are used in English, the last because it was a very helpful phrase when I spent a week in Paris and someone would attempt to speak to me in French.

Actually, I exaggerate. I do know a few other French words here and there most of which I picked up because they were helpful in traveling, like "pardon", "mercei", "allo", "bonjour", "bif", "porc", "garcon", "vin", "amour", "change", "infomatique", "automatique", "recherche", "institut", and "football", but I don't know a thing about the grammar and even if I did my vocabulary would not likely be sufficient to write a guide unless it was a guide about polite soccer playing computers having dinner.

I can write a similar disclaimer for four other languages, but I know so little of any other language that I have trouble translating "I don't speak <language>" into different languages.

Keith
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Jiloup: tu n'es pas seul. Maybe in the Mac forum, but I've seen a french person or two around somewhere.
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

install Fink : okay
install minicom : okay
start internet sharing : okay
write "sudo minicom -s" on the the terminal fo start minicom : okay
open textedit (with the terminal same as you want) : okay
create or change ppp preference (/etc/ppp/options) can't : can you say what i need to write on the terminal for create it (i use 'cd / etc/ppp/option or cd / etc/ppp and after open -e option but this don't work)

'This can be found by typing "nslookup blah". The address listed is the DNS server. It'll also tell you that it can't find blah, but it's not supposed to.'
don't undertstand that :oops:

'Go into the Serial port setup menu and change the serial device (option A) to "/dev/cu.modem" if it isn't already set to that. You can also boost the Bps setting (option E) to 57600 if you'd like to communicate at the highest possible rate of data. Then exit the menu by pressing enter and select "Save setup as dfl" and then once it is saved as the default, you can exit minicom.'
where can i find "the Serial port setup menu" (sorry but in french i thinks it's an other name) .
maybe if you can help me for that i can make the other things alone in the dark (sorry french humour)

Vouler-vous danser ?

Waou 4 french users !!! c'est tres peu
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

1) Nslookup
Type "nslookup blah". This will return something like:
"Server: ns3.ncsu.edu
Address: 152.1.1.206

*** ns3.ncsu.edu can't find blah: Non-existent host/domain"

The address is your DNS server address which you'll want to put in your PPP options file. It also tells you that it can't find blah, which is because there is no computer called "blah".

2) TextEdit and /etc/ppp/options
I realized that my instructions for using TextEdit are not very complete, and I also found a small mistake in them. So instead, do this:
"sudo touch /etc/ppp/options"
"sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/ppp/options"
Then add the text described and save it. I think that's actually the only file that one needs to edit.

3) Minicom
Serial Port set-up should be the third option from the top on the set-up menu.
Save as dfl should be the sixth option from the top on the set-up menu.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Keith Irwin
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

It's okay for the 1) and 2) but the 3) ....
I think there is a bug in my binary installastion because when i type sudo minicom -s i have just that on the terminal :
Last login: Thu Mar 25 00:36:03 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Ordinateur-de-Dolores-Boudboule:~ jiloup$ sudo minicom -s
Password:

i type my password and then nothing .... this is here when you talk about "serial port set-up" no ?

well thanks for your time
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Yeah, that definitely sounds like some sort of a bug. Try using Fink Commander to uninstall it and then reinstall it. When I run "sudo minicom -s" after I enter my password, I get a screen on the terminal which looks like this:

lqqqqq[configuration]qqqqqqk
x Filenames and paths x
x File transfer protocols x
x Serial port setup x
x Modem and dialing x
x Screen and keyboard x
x Save setup as dfl x
x Save setup as.. x
x Exit x
x Exit from Minicom x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

(Well, actually it doesn't look quite like that. That's what I get when I cut and paste it from the terminal. The real thing has lines instead of x's and q's and so forth.) It only takes a second or two to appear, not any long wait. So it definitely sounds as if something is going wrong with minicom on your computer.

Keith
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

minicom don't want to start after the reinstall
you use the binary or the source ?
you have 10.3 or 10.2 ?
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

Maybe My francais system is a prob Image :!: :!: :!: :!:
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

I've been using the fink binary install, although you could try the other one if that one isn't working for you. I have OS X 10.2.8. I would be very surprised if your French system were the problem. I don't think that minicom taps into any of the internationalization stuff at all. I'd be quite surprised if it was even aware of what system it was running on. The console applications are generally not picky.

If you have X-Windows installed (or maybe if you just have 10.3 installed), you can try xminicom instead of minicom.

Keith
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

I came up with another solution, actually. I've uploaded my binary for cu onto the web at http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/cu.tar Try downloading that, and copying cu into /usr/bin (i.e. cd to the directory that its in. If stuffit expander hasn't already extracted cu then do "tar -xf cu.tar" And then "sudo cp cu /usr/bin"). I can't swear that it will work, but it ought to. Then you should be able to follow the instructions of cu, which are easier anyway.

Keith
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Oh, and let me know if that works. If it does, then I'll update the instructions to include that as an option.

Keith