SNES emu in the works

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jessman »

Hey, I know that I have no power to do this, but can SOMEONE sticky this topic? Who's with me? If we don't sticky this, then there should at least me a Super Famicast thread that we won't lose over time. Can you mods discuss this? This is a great idea, and this emulator deserves it (and so does the AWSOME creator). :D

KEEP IT UP MAN!! KEEP IT UP!! WEL ALL LOVE WHAT YOU'RE DOING MAN!!!! THANK GOODNESS THAT YOU STEPPED UP TO SAVE OUR SNES-LESS SOULS!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

pavelbure wrote:
scherzo wrote:
I've also been playing quite a bit of SOCOM II on PS2. Does that make me a traitor? LOL
do you play online ? if so whats your name ?
Yeah, I play online and, of course, my name is SCHERZO. I just start playing a couple of weeks ago so I'm still kind of a newb but I'm pretty good already.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

scherzo wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
scherzo wrote:
I've also been playing quite a bit of SOCOM II on PS2. Does that make me a traitor? LOL
do you play online ? if so whats your name ?
Yeah, I play online and, of course, my name is SCHERZO. I just start playing a couple of weeks ago so I'm still kind of a newb but I'm pretty good already.
good. my name is PAVELBURE maybe i'll message you sometime. i'll probably be on sun. night after 11 pm est. you need a kb to message.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Maximo2703 wrote:alright i downloaded the emu. damn is it fast. much of an improvement over Dreamsnes i believe. BUT i have noticed one thing there was no sound. now is there an opition that turns that on or off or was because i used a cdi image and did a disc swap? because i noticed once i opened the dreamcast swap disc the emu's music stopped but i still had control. im gonna try gettin an sbi verison of this and dump all my roms in with and see if it gives me sound back. but other than its a great emu.
Do you mean the menu music? If you did then thats because the music is on the same cd as the emulator itself so when you removed the cd and swapped it with the cd with the roms you also removed the music. I agree its a great emulator, why I made the theme for it :D
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

yeah i was talking about the menu music... now does that effect the music for the games being gone? cause i noticed theres no sbi file for the emulator. or is there a way to turn the sound on for the games.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

there is an sbi http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy ... _V1_bO.sbi
no it wont effect the ingame music of the rom
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

so i take it in game music is a sacrfice with this release?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Maximo2703 wrote:so i take it in game music is a sacrfice with this release?
Yeah currently it really kills speed.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

yes i noticed it kills the speed. i was playin Super Ghouls and Ghost and i could barely move. some games it runs nicely others it dont. its got major potentional but i think until its improved and a final release or a better beta comes out im gonna lean more towards the Dreamsnes
kapasemi
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kapasemi »

just wondering, I know that x-box has better stats than DC...but they have an awesome emu for that, so i think that it should be just as possable to make one for DC thats not slugish...
kapasemi
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kapasemi »

Maximo2703 wrote:yes i noticed it kills the speed. i was playin Super Ghouls and Ghost and i could barely move. some games it runs nicely others it dont. its got major potentional but i think until its improved and a final release or a better beta comes out im gonna lean more towards the Dreamsnes
ya though its still really good for an alpha version...when does the beta come out?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

xbox emu is better because xbox proc is same as PC, so they have to modify PC version very little to run on xbox. DC proc is MUCH different from PC, so it dosnt work as well when you run the code that was more specifically designed to work on PC on the DC.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

kapasemi wrote:just wondering, I know that xbox has better stats than DC...but they have an awesome emu for that, so i think that it should be just as possable to make one for DC thats not slugish...
Well, the Xbox's processor is four times faster than the Dreamcast's processor. That makes is simple to get a SNES emulator running full speed on an Xbox, especially considering that the Xbox has the same processor as a PC, which the PC-based SNES emulators were designed for.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, the Xbox's processor is four times faster than the Dreamcast's processor.
words of caution to add to interpreting that statement: not only is it not quite 4 times faster (200Mhz vs 7**) but faster does not mean more powerful. In this certain application, which uses integer calculations only, the DC is weak, but when dealing with floating point calculations, Sega specifications esitmate the same power as the class of processesor that the xbox uses (many years before the xbox was announced, so it isnt just some marketing thing).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Okay then... It's 3.665 times faster. Emulation doesn't really use any floating point math, and relies on the processor (and memory architecture) to read and write large quantities of data, and do fairly simple integer math or them. The DC sucks at that kind of thing, because it's just not what it was designed for. The Xbox's P3, on the other hand, was designed for exactly this sort of thing, but sucks at floating point math. Which is why the Xbox's graphics hardware does most of the transform and lighting calculations instead of making the CPU do it.