Led Controller Indicator Mod Tutorial

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Led Controller Indicator Mod Tutorial

Post by Prophet][ »

OK, I can't write tutorials as some of you would already know. So if anyone would like to re-write this, please feel free. Thanks to Mikey1109
for some of the pics also. I was pretty tired when I wrote this so it mgith be crap.

WARNING: Doing this mod can wreck your controller ports. It involves putting holes in the ports and if not done correctly it can crush the pins making the port inoperable.

Need:
Hammer
Pin / Needle
4 LED?s
Wire (Preferable the type you use with breadboards)
Soldering Iron
Drill
Electrical Tape

Remove the controller board from, the dreamcast as well as the grey plastic board at the front of it. Put the board on something soft-ish, like a magazine or a newspaper. You need to put a small hole in each of the ports. This hole only needs to be very small, use the pin and hammer to make the hole. When hammering the pin into the port make sure you don?t use very powerful blows cos if you make the pin go down too far you could crush the pin underneath. So just use light taps with the hammer, the plastic isn?t strong and it will only take a few light hit for the pin to get through, once the pin is through remove it, using a pair of pliers makes this a lot easier than using your hands. The hold needs to be about 1-2mm to the left or right of the centre hole already their. In this hole we are going to put a piece of wire. You get a better idea of where the hole should be from the picture below. The red dot indicates roughtly where the hole should be.

You need to make sure there is a strip of plastic between the hole you?ve just made and the centre hole already there. The picture below shows this better. If their isn?t a bit of plastic between, the light could always be on, but if the hole is too far away from the centre it light may never come on. If you get the distance wrong and stuff the hole up don?t worry cos you can just make another hole on the other side or one above or below the one you stuffed up.

Now that the hole is done, it clean sailing from now on. Take some wire and strip about 3-4mm off the end. Using the pin the make the hole makes sure that only the striped part of the wire will fit in it. Bend the stripped part in a 90 degree angle, and place it in the hole, if the stripped part is too long it will touch the bottom of the port, we don?t want this. So just take it out and cut a bit off, you need it so it just doesn?t touch the bottom. Tape the wire to the top of the controller port. Then put a controller into that port, this will bend the wire back and make it rest on the under side of the port. You should be able to see that when the controller goes into the port, the metal plate on the top of the controllers plug will scrap against this wire, if the wire is too far away, you need to put in another hole closer to the plate.

Now grab the grey plastic plate and drill holes where you see the A, B, C and D above each port. The hole needs to be big enough for and LED to fit nicely in. Drill from the outside part so that it bends all the plastic into the inside, the part you don?t see. This gives it a bit better look. To keep the LED in the hole I put less than a drop of superglue into the hole and then put the led in.

At this sage I would put your DC back together, just leaving the lid off. No only does it make it easier to solder but it?s a pain to get the grey plate and the controller board back in when their pretty much stuck together.

Now that all this is done, you?re basically finished. All you need to do is solder all the power pins on the LED?s together using a parallel circuit (So you don?t get a drop of voltage) and put them going to the 3v pin the PSU, this pin is one of the 6 pins that goes to the main board, the 3v pin is the pin furthest from the controller board and is outlined in the picture below.

Now solder each of the ground wires (the ones that are in the hole we made in the port) to the ground pin on the LED. When you put it back together you will find the power light shines through the led's and makes it look like they are on. To stop this put electrical tape around the clear platsic thing on the lid that goes around the light. It will stop the light shining out but keep it shing up.

Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

awesome mod man. im gonna do this as soon as i get more leds (tomorrow probably). seriously nice work!!! :D
Nintenter
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Nintenter »

wow...thats pretty cool. /me needs more LEDs
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Still don't understand how the controller insertion makes the LED's light up. The best thing i can see is that the controller plug pushes the pos. wire on to the LED orsomething. I think it would be easier to install a "normally open" spring loaded switch that the controller would push to turn the LED's on in each port. I'm just confused... :cry:
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

well, as you can see/tell the LED is always connected to the power on the PSU. so as long as the DC is on, the LEDs are getting power. But you need to ground the LED's for them to come on. If you notice the small metal plate at the top of plug on the controller, when you put it in, the top plate becomes the ground, and the wire that is in the hole is connected to the ground plate and is therefore grounded. If you get my drift.

I probably should have explained this earlier.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Ohh, so there's a hole on top of controller ports with the ground wire stuck in, BUT, it doesn't connect until the controler goes in and connects to the wire for ground. I think I get it now. How did you figure this out... :?:
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I got bored and decided to see how the controller sends the info to the DC. I found out that was ground and thought I could use it to make this mod
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

just noticed something ironic.
wow, this pic was robbing a lot of data transfer on my geocities account...deleted...
i live where the red dot is on the map. :D
Last edited by Mikey1109 on Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

thats a cool mod when i get a second dc i'll try it :P thanks for the idea
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

that's about 1/4 of the US... not to bring down the irony, but 25% is not entirely statistically impossible ;). (I'm just jokin' w/ ya dude, so please don't take offense)
"Some day I'll figure out something to go here"

http://eyeofinsanity.doesntexist.com
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

lol, i know. just thought it was kinda easy to make out san antonio. :lol:
poots
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by poots »

need LEDs.

what specification LEDs do i need (Noob alert!)

and am i right in thinking that all 4 LEDs are conected to the same wire? (excluding
the ones touching the pad connector)

I want real bright :o LEDs like the blue/white ones like Mikey1109 use in his mod.

pleeez help, I'm tired, and really tired. um. )()(
...If you are offended...
Then you dont know me.

__[Peace] = [Poots!]__

visit http://www.retrodesign.co.uk to help out
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

3v - 3.3v LED's

They are all connected, in a paraell circuit

if you want birght ones, look for an mcd rating in the 1000's
poots
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by poots »

britain thanks you.
...If you are offended...
Then you dont know me.

__[Peace] = [Poots!]__

visit http://www.retrodesign.co.uk to help out
Mord
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Mord »

Closet LED match i could find was a 4.2v blue LED at my local Maplin store, it works but it is a bit dimmer then i would have liked. :cry:
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Ouch thats a big bump, anyway im sure Maplin do 3.3V LED's. I got a 3V for the Xbox controller dongle LED I did, that was from Maplins
Mord
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Mord »

Nope, went up to the desk and asked for a 3.3v green led, best they had was 4.2v blue. Arse!, im going to have to scrounge up some proper LEDs before i do the major work.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

If you dont mind buying like 5 to 10 LEDs at a time and have an ebay account you can get em off of ebay. just search for "LED bulbs" and a bunch will come up. In specific look for a seller who has a store called the "LED store" he/she has a bunch of LEDs in all colors, sizes, and voltages
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

http://www.lsdiodes.com cheap and 2 bucks shipping. plus you get free stuff.
Old school.